Why MPH/ What does your PH mean to you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SturdevantsPuppet

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have used SDF before in different disciplines, but am new to the advanced public health degree area.
I am currently a general/family dentist that practices in public health and am in the very early stages of researching MPH programs. I am trying to learn more about WHY people choose to pursue MPH programs. If you're interested, answer the questions below and participate in the discussion to follow!
1.) What interests do you have in public health?
2.) Would obtaining your MPH open the door to a specific/dream job? If so, what do those careers look like?
3.) Any tips on applying to programs? I am particularly interested in hybrid/executive programs so that I can continue to practice full-time.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think MPH programs are very broad. You typically have three kinds of people, the researchers, the advocates and the admin/executives. I'm in the first camp.

What kind of public health do you currently do?

I currently work in public health. I am interested in pursuing an MPH or MSPH in epidemiology, which would be a prerequisite to my dream job as an epidemiologist in the pharma/biotech industry.

I do find it interesting that many people with advanced degrees go on to pursue an MPH, though.

I know that I want an MPH/MS because epidemiology is the only thing I want to do.
But if you already have an established career in one field, what is your desire to go back and obtain an MPH?

I've heard mixed opinions from the few clinicians I know with an MPH (some declaring it a waste of time and money, others saying it vastly improved their practice). But I'm always curious of other peoples' perspectives and goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently work in public health. I am interested in pursuing an MPH or MSPH in epidemiology, which would be a prerequisite to my dream job as an epidemiologist in the pharma/biotech industry.

I do find it interesting that many people with advanced degrees go on to pursue an MPH, though.

I know that I want an MPH/MS because epidemiology is the only thing I want to do.
But if you already have an established career in one field, what is your desire to go back and obtain an MPH?

I've heard mixed opinions from the few clinicians I know with an MPH (some declaring it a waste of time and money, others saying it vastly improved their practice). But I'm always curious of other peoples' perspectives and goals.
For a lot of physicians, it fills a niche which is clinical research. Essentially the MPH/MS gives you the biostatistical knowledge that if you combine with a research fellowship, which I'm doing, allows you to develop the skills needed to conduct your own clinical research and start your own dry lab. I won't say the vast majority of people do a MPH for this reason, though.

Most advanced degree people do it because it gives you the "bigger picture". Public health is really just medicine but taking a step back and seeing the big picture. You learn about health systems, broader public needs, admin/exec roles, clinical research etc. So doctors and other health professionals who have an eye towards one day doing admin/exec/public health/hospital work will also consider an MPH, although some may consider a MHA or MBA but those tend to be more focused.

There are other doctors like ID docs or doctors who have an interest in global health and do a MPH for that reason as well.

I will admit that I'm not exactly sure what a general dentist or a GP would gain from a MPH, because I would imagine a MBA might be more useful in terms of running a practice, but that is my two sense.

For a lot of physicians, it fills a niche which is clinical research. Essentially the MPH/MS gives you the biostatistical knowledge that if you combine with a research fellowship, which I'm doing, allows you to develop the skills needed to conduct your own clinical research and start your own dry lab. I won't say the vast majority of people do a MPH for this reason, though.

Most advanced degree people do it because it gives you the "bigger picture". Public health is really just medicine but taking a step back and seeing the big picture. You learn about health systems, broader public needs, admin/exec roles, clinical research etc. So doctors and other health professionals who have an eye towards one day doing admin/exec/public health/hospital work will also consider an MPH, although some may consider a MHA or MBA but those tend to be more focused.

There are other doctors like ID docs or doctors who have an interest in global health and do a MPH for that reason as well.

I will admit that I'm not exactly sure what a general dentist or a GP would gain from a MPH, because I would imagine a MBA might be more useful in terms of running a practice, but that is my two sense.
This is super insightful, thank you for sharing! I am actually a general dentist that practices in public health, and am considering pursuing an MPH. A generalist or GP could pursue one for the same reasons you mentioned in your second paragraph: entering the bigger picture. A lot of the opportunities to be a director of medicine or dentistry through public health organizations require an MPH. Personally, I am interested in approaching dentistry from a public health mindset. I feel that we currently practice too "reactively" and a great way to be proactive in reducing oral health issues could be through an approach that involves more public education and awareness outside of "brush and floss your teeth". That, and I think statistics is fun.