Why doesn't SDN have downvotes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most forums have downvotes instead of just "likes". In order to gauge the agreement level of comments/threads, shouldn't this feature be integrated on a high traffic site like SDN?

10 people might "like" a comment but it really doesn't mean anything if 100 other people dislike it and can't show their disagreement (other than through replying--sometimes we just don't want to do that).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Might as well have a reputation system built in on SDN, but even then, it'll be ineffective and cliquey.

Besides, consider the report function to be a downvote. Of course, don't go overboard with it, otherwise the mods will give you a special treat in return :watching:;)

Most forums have downvotes instead of just "likes". In order to gauge the agreement level of comments/threads, shouldn't this feature be integrated on a high traffic site like SDN?

10 people might "like" a comment but it really doesn't mean anything if 100 other people dislike it and can't show their disagreement (other than through replying--sometimes we just don't want to do that).

If someone reads this post and wants to downvote it, which side are they actually supporting? Discuss.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's already enough drama on here as it is ;)

Reactions: 3 users
To use some MCAT terminology, I think it would only serve to increase the amount of groupthink already present on this site.

Reactions: 5 users
Reply and tell everyone why you disagree with the post.

With down votes, the immaturity will only get worse. I guarantee that such a system would compel people to dislike posts just out of spite...

Reactions: 2 users
It's a professional forum;
If you dislike it, reply to the user and express why.. Maybe your post expressing why will get a 100 likes?

Reactions: 1 users
I think there shouldn't be a like system. I do enjoy it when I get likes though

Reactions: 9 users
There's already so much circlejerking with the current like system.

I think the "like" feature only exists so people won't do the stupid "QFT" thing. Easier to just show lots of people agree than have lots of people posting that they agree.

Personally I think downvoting would ruin SDN overnight. Things which appeal to the majority are rarely controversial/interesting

Members don't see this ad :)
If people disagree, they can reply and give a reasonable answer why. Throwing cheap shots in the form of 'dislikes' will make discussions even more unproductive

Follow up question: would it be more beneficial to just get rid of likes then, since they only seem to help people "groupthink"?

Follow up question: would it be more beneficial to just get rid of likes then, since they only seem to help people "groupthink"?

I'm not a fan of likes as genuinely helpful posts rarely get any likes.

If you go look at old threads you'll see what I was talking about. People post totally empty stuff like "this!" and "quoted for truth!" and "agree". That has a much more groupthink impact and also makes it harder to read for interesting nuggets

There is more than enough disagreement on this site. At least half my posts someone quotes and has something to say about or add/complain(hell the over under on times this post gets quoted is probably 2.5). Adding the "thumbs down" function serves next to zero purpose; if someone doesn't like something you say or disagrees with it, this is the type of site they'll tell you right away.

There is more than enough disagreement on this site. At least half my posts someone quotes and has something to say about or add/complain(hell the over under on times this post gets quoted is probably 2.5). Adding the "thumbs down" function serves next to zero purpose; if someone doesn't like something you say or disagrees with it, this is the type of site they'll tell you right away.
I disagree, I think people wait a while before telling me what they dislike

I disagree, I think people wait a while before telling me what they dislike

So would you rather have more people disagree with you and do so sooner from when you post something? Not sure what you're trying to get at here.

I'm not a fan of likes as genuinely helpful posts rarely get any likes.
Nah. Whenever mimelim drops one of his gems, he'll get at least 6 likes, sometimes 20 or 30. Goro's guide to interviews must have like 100 likes. Wedgedawg's helpful algorithm also generated a bunch of likes.

And there was that one time when efle enlightened everyone on the properties of dichloromethane :p

Nah. Whenever mimelim drops one of his gems, he'll get at least 6 likes, sometimes 20 or 30. Goro's guide to interviews must have like 100 likes. Wedgedawg's helpful algorithm also generated a bunch of likes.

And there was that one time when efle enlightened everyone on the properties of dichloromethane :p

Or when I post a selfie in the lounge. KIDDING :D

Goro just gets likes cause he's a cat :D

I like the idea of dislikes.

Some people, regardless of being objectively wrong, will argue to the ends of the earth to prove their point(s). Instead of arguing with these people it seems it would sometimes be better to give a silent dislike. Sometimes statements are so stupid they're unworthy of a response; once again, a perfect time for a dislike.

I like the idea of dislikes.

Some people, regardless of being objectively wrong, will argue to the ends of the earth to prove their point(s). Instead of arguing with these people it seems it would sometimes be better to give a silent dislike. Sometimes statements are so stupid they're unworthy of a response; once again, a perfect time for a dislike.
I prefer the ignore function.

If you go look at old threads you'll see what I was talking about. People post totally empty stuff like "this!" and "quoted for truth!" and "agree". That has a much more groupthink impact and also makes it harder to read for interesting nuggets

This.

I would also like a dislike feature for the memes and gifs that fall face first.

I would also like a dislike feature for the memes and gifs that fall face first.

poster,220x200,ffffff-pad,220x200,ffffff.jpg

The real question is, when are we getting more SDN layout options. The totally white background is gettin' old.

The reason SDN doesn't have a downvote function is that it is against the general spirit of the site. The Like function essentially exists so that people can quickly say they approve or agree with a post without adding a post themselves, which aids in the flow of a thread by keeping it uncluttered (back in the day threads would be cluttered with :thumbup: and +1s). If someone disagrees with a post, however, they should justify their disagreement, as just saying you disagree without adding a reason why is not constructive.

You could always use the :thumbdown: emoticon if you're feeling like you dislike or disagree with a post but don't feel like being constructive about it.

Also the founder of allnurses killed his family and then killed himself like two days ago in Missouri or Mississippi or some other such state

Yeah I got 100 likes and probation...

If you aren't using the app, it looks the same. If you are using the app, what is wrong with you?
The site is terrible on mobile phones, double-loads pages all the time and it's impossible to hit "alerts" without zooming in a bunch first...

the app is bad but it is >> site on mobile

Let me ask you this, MJ. Is there something you really think that should be changed about SDN?

The site is terrible on mobile phones, double-loads pages all the time and it's impossible to hit "alerts" without zooming in a bunch first...

I remember when you were probe. Wasn't it because you called someone out for faulty chemistry or something? Link would be appreciated.
EDIT: or PM me the the sentence that got you probe

I like the site better. I guess I've gotten used to the microscopic font :shrug:

I am officially derailing this thread to figure out who has the best "likes: posts" ratio with a minimum of 250 posts on SDN
I believe we will all find the results surprisingly:

Current Leader:
@Chipster. 3.68
@hellanutella 2.87
@breakintheroof 2.59
@NotASerialKiller 2.11

Last edited:

Works fine on my Galaxy S5. Only downside is my paste function doesn't work since the last update to my phone, my root files are corrupted and I'm too lazy to reinstall the OS.