Why Don't More Pychiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VixRap

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(and doctors in general)

drive Ferraris, Bentleys, Lambos, or Aston-Martins?

They cars are easily affordable if you're making 400K a year. Probably easily affordable at 200K per annum.

Any explanations? I think doctors, as a collective, are soft. That's JMO.

Members don't see this ad.

A) because we dont need cars to prove we arent "soft".
B) because most people smart, practical and tenacious enough to get into and through medical school/residency are also smart, practical and tenacious enough not to blow their cash on depreciating assets worth half their hard-earned income.

Because after you've sacrificed years of your life, blood, sweat, tears, and money for medical school, such mundane considerations as a car become very, very unimportant...hopefully.

If I learned one thing in medical school, it's that there are more important things than the maker of your car or the size of your house.

Members don't see this ad :)
A) because we dont need cars to prove we arent "soft".
B) because most people smart, practical and tenacious enough to get into and through medical school/residency are also smart, practical and tenacious enough not to blow their cash on depreciating assets worth half their hard-earned income.

Ferrari at 500K wouldn't cost that much per month- to a doc making 200-400K.

Certainly not half.

Besides, we only live once. How many have a chance to buy a Ferrari? Less than 0.01% of the 7 billion people on Earth?

Brioni suits. $500 dollar per meal restaurants. International trips/vacations.

Who wouldn't want that?

All available if 300-400K a year.

Doctors have the world at their hands. We can live the lifestyle of the rich and famous. I'm just curious why more don't.

My opinion only, other costs trump luxury cars.
1. Student Loan payments.
2. Home Mortgage.
3. Kids are expensive.
4. Spouses are expensive.
5. 10 fewer years than average person to save for retirement.

And also a lot of people buy nice cars to impress women/their friends when they're younger. Many doctors are married and older by the time they can afford to buy an expensive car.

its not "feeding the trolls" if they are reasonable questions. Most would think they are unreasonable but I thought along the same lines when I was younger.

Anyone who uses the term "Lambo" cuts their chances of med school admission in half. True story...

its not "feeding the trolls" if they are reasonable questions. Most would think they are unreasonable but I thought along the same lines when I was younger.

Ferrari's and Brioni suits stink of troll.
I smelled it from the pre-allo thread. :)

I don't even know what a Brioni suit is, but $500 restaurant tabs are mentioned in the same sentence.

I need to work on a $500 big screen tv first. Now that is important!

Because my Honda Civic gets all the girls I need.

That will be one in the front and two in the back then....or do you make'em bunch up in the back?

Anyone who uses the term "Lambo" cuts their chances of med school admission in half. True story...

Winner in the special category: least likely to be heard at the owners club rally.

Of the cars themselves, winner in the category: engine most likely to spontaneously suffer catastrophic blow up on the starting grid. Utter garbage.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Our physicians' lot is divided by specialty and you can see some trends in the car preferences:

Rads: Audi
Neurosurg: Porsche/Mercedes
Ortho: Maserati/Lotus
Neuro: Honda/Subaru
Surgery: Mercedes
Medicine: Toyota/Lexus
Psychiatry: Honda/Acura
PMR: Volvo/VW

By no means a definitive study, but at our shop you can pretty easily guess the specialty by the car.

ive thought the same way as you when i was a pre-med. things change. to me, if i was making 700k a year as a psychiatrist (i know some that make more), that would come out to well over 400k net after taxes. if i was making 400k net after taxes, i would save at least half of that before even thinking about buying anything else. why would you want to live paycheck to paycheck. id rather have millions in the bank at 50, so i can live the lifestyle of the "rich and famous" by paying for those luxuries from interest off of my investments, without touching my principal or my paycheck. Money can buy you clothes and ferraris, but ferraris and clothes dont buy you anything. Money can also buy you other investments, which over time can buy you all the finer things in life you want.

You can live the lifestyle of the rich and famous with 400K BEFORE taxes.

I don't understand waiting. You're basically giving away your 30s and 40s for more "security" in your 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and (the way med tech id going) 90s and 100s.

Our physicians' lot is divided by specialty and you can see some trends in the car preferences:

By no means a definitive study, but at our shop you can pretty easily guess the specialty by the car.

Go buy a Ferrari, dude. Haters gonna hate. You earned your top 1% salary.

:laugh:

--

Forbes wrote an article about cars and net work awhile back.... http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/21/car-buyer-types-identity08-forbeslife-cx_jm_1120cars.html. I have heard that Bentley figure quoted quite a bit by some investment banker/finance friends of mine, but I always figured they were just trying to justify why they were still single and working 80+ hours a week after 10 years. I've driven quite a few $150k+ cars, and at the end of the day...still just a car. My buddy just picked up a Lotus Elise, which is a great car (used) for $40k or so. I wouldn't kick a Ferarri out of my garage, but it'd be hard to justify unless I hit the Powerball or similar.

ps. $500/meal is nothing. A good bottle of wine can run $400-$2000+ at a highend restaurant. OP, if you do go big pimpin', do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of Screaming Eagle (Cabernet), anything from the late 90s or early 2000s will be amazing. Best overpriced bottles of wine I've had the pleasure of charging to a business account. :D

Last edited:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC28312/

:laugh::laugh::laugh: How long have you been sitting on that study...just waiting for the opportune time to post it? Nice. Very, very nice. I especially like the commentary at the very end. Exhaustive sample...ROFL.

:laugh::laugh: Especially this:
Competing interests: REM drives an old grey Mazda 1.6 Exec, CFK drives a sporty little number, DBR drives his mother's F-reg Renault, and FJC has a zone 3 underground pass.
Funding: None.

(and doctors in general)

They cars are easily affordable if you're making 400K a year. Probably easily affordable at 200K per annum.

My honest take on it? As people mature they learn what is valuable in life. Many people come to an understanding somewhere along the way that living paycheck to paycheck (with little to no 'safety net') isn't fun. Note I didn't just say 'being poor isn't fun;' even if you make $400k but keep your expenditures close to there with lambos, custom tailored suits, and million dollar beach homes you will live paycheck to paycheck. You will have to sweat your finances, and after the thrill of driving a shiny sports car is long gone your own stupidly self-created trap of having to work long hours whether you like it or not just to make next month's payments will still be in full swing. From there you will have to continue working very hard just to avoid losing your things, including the house your family lives in.

So basically it's not self-deprivation or masochism. People just see at least a little bit through the trap of becoming a slave to money through binge spending. In my opinion the really financially wise ones realize that having enough in the bank to be truly 'financially independent,' meaning that if you so choose you no longer have to work to support yourself and those who depend on you, is way more valuable than any showy car you could buy. Keep in mind that if you make over $200k/yr you can save enough to be financially independent in surprisingly little time depending on your desired level of material comfort.

You may be a troll or you may not be, but I thought I would put this out there as food for thought. I hate seeing people make slaves of themselves for shiny toys.

Psych NP: GMC Sierra Extended Cab, Bull bumper, Bed liner, Roll-up bed cover. Cab accessories: Australian Iron wood head knocker, custom Dozier knife, Ruger .22 cal rifle.By no means a definitive study, but at our shop you can pretty easily guess the specialty by the car.

Fixed this for ya...

tumblr_lstsubXXVr1qhnbzno1_500.jpg

(and doctors in general)

You know what? Every now and then I think about trading in my gas guzzling Jeep for a Camry. Especially now that I don't need to drive up hills in the snow anymore.

I don't think I'm soft, but I am kinda boring.

Because it's ******ed? If you feel the need to have these toys to impress women in order to live that glamorous sex filled lifestyle, go for it.

And yeah, most people just end up being married, or a bit older/mature and don't need the flash.

I'm not a doctor, but was making between 60-70k and bought a used 4Runner (2001) a couple of years back for 5G's. I havent had a single problem with it after 3 years and have only done routine oil changes. I upgraded my tires to Goodyear DuraTracs (LOVE them) and "upgraded" my wipers for 10 bucks. I recently quit my job in order to go back to school (no, this wasn't planned at the time of purchase), and guess what? I can keep my car and have the freedom of following what I want to do in life. Not slaving away at a job just to pay for my shiny toy, only because "it'd look stupid to downgrade". Haha.

I laugh at people who have incomes of 30-40k and lease $50,000+ BMW's.

Would I rent a nice car for a day or two just for the thrill? Sure, but at the end of the day I want something I can rely on and not lose much money on with stupid things like interest and massive depreciation.

Did I mention that I love my truck? :)

Fine print: I secretly do wish to have a porsche one day though...one day. But only as a guilty pleasure of mine for weekend summer driving, not as a status symbol. I'm my own mothertruckin' status symbol.

At the end of the day, when all is said and done and you've completed residency, are in a comfortable financial position, etc... spend your money on what you enjoy doing.

Buying a fancy car doesn't make sense if you don't truly enjoy driving.

Spending $5k on a suit doesn't make sense if you can't tell the difference between a Brioni and a Calvin Klein per se.

Spending several hundred $s on a meal or bottle of wine is pointless unless you have the palate to enjoy it.

Because it's ******ed? If you feel the need to have these toys to impress women in order to live that glamorous sex filled lifestyle, go for it.

Hell yeah.

I'm not religious. I have no special other. No kids. Philosophy is basically a combo of hedonism/do unto others as you would want them to do to you.

I'm my own mothertruckin' status symbol.
Hell yeah. I like that.

Hell yeah.

I'm not religious. I have no special other. No kids. Philosophy is basically a combo of hedonism/do unto others as you would want them to do to you.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...so you want to be surrounded by people who also have fancy cars? Not sure where you're headed with that.

Hedonism, sure..sounds fun. Just tell the girls you have a fancy car while you're at the bar. Eventually she'll be too hammered to notice that she's pulling up into a Motel 8 in a 1990 Pontiac Firefly "sports coupe". Seriously, try it.

so buy it already, ratio boy, enjoy yourself. Post the pics.

I got a cat instead...real love..and idiocy, but wonderful.

so buy it already, ratio boy, enjoy yourself. Post the pics.

I got a cat instead...real love..and idiocy, but wonderful.

? I'm not in med school yet.

When I'm a doc making 300K a year, you bet I will.

Yeah Boy! Yeah! Yeah ! Yeah! Now thees is a boy dat knows his bling!
Flavor_Flav-3.jpg

In all honesty, if one wants to bling this or that, what right do I have to judge them? I spent $5000 on a D&D gaming table and about $1000 on miniatures and 3D gaming terrain.

Just my personal preference, I don't have a desire for a Ferrari. A buddy of mine had an Italian sports car and IMHO the thing was a pain in the butt to maintain. My personality is on the practical side of things when it comes to cars, but that's just me. I drive a Prius because I want to save gas.

No EM in your hospital? Both here in HI, and back in SC, it was BMW for EM.

:laugh::laugh: Especially this:
Competing interests: REM drives an old grey Mazda 1.6 Exec, CFK drives a sporty little number, DBR drives his mother's F-reg Renault, and FJC has a zone 3 underground pass.
Funding: None.

Bolded is the funniest. For those that might not know and know NYC, think "Metrocard".

I always knew you were cool, Whopper.

Well I'm not 100% geek. I work out, do P90x, was in a fraternity (though for geeks but we weren't 100% like the guys on Big Bang Theory, more like a mix of that and blue collar guys), and I got a hot babe wife. Maybe I'm just more of a geek along the lines of Kevin Smith and not the guys in Big Bang Theory.

Anyways, if any of you are old D&D players, I'm converting Gygax's Temple of Elemental Evil to Pathfinder (D&D 3.75) with 3D terrain. I'm having a heck of a time making 3D constructs.

tumblr_lpimpzXJBO1qc17ok

Though I'm feeling like a major geek now because my eyeglass frames just broke and I'm going to have to resort to tape to keep them together until I get Lasik.

My buddy with the Italian sports car, anytime something went wrong with the thing he had to spend much more money than I thought it was worth to fix it and he had to worry about it constantly. You park that car, people are going to stare at it, and once in awhile, especially if someone's ticked off at you, someone will try to scratch it. Not exactly something I'd want especially in a patient population where I sometimes tell patients I'm not giving them a benzo.

Awesome, first visit to psychiatry forum and it's car talk. Charlie Sheen level win!

Whopper, maybe you are like one of the Big Bang Theory guys though, cause they all get to sleep with Kaley Cuco who is hot--despite how she appears in candids.

Come on you psychiatrist guys, list what cars you have. I just see Whopper mentioning his Prius and Sunlioness with her Jeep. Anybody with a German car? Bling Bling

Whopper, I'm no expert on things D&D, but something like that board could an appreciating asset I would think.

Maybe it's now worth enough to trade in for that shiny red Ferrari. :D

Spending $5k on a suit doesn't make sense if you can't tell the difference between a Brioni and a Calvin Klein per se.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTJpLBXGBkM[/youtube]

Last edited:
Anyways, if any of you are old D&D players, I'm converting Gygax's Temple of Elemental Evil to Pathfinder (D&D 3.75) with 3D terrain. I'm having a heck of a time making 3D constructs.

I have no idea what this means...but I do not doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

Last edited:
I can't imagine driving an expensive car, I feel like my blood pressure would always be jacked up for fear I run over a curb or something.

Not to totally derail the thread, but I've given some thought to buying a hybrid. But I've heard that they tend to stall out when it gets really cold. Is that true? I guess it wouldn't matter too much in S. CA, but in IL it's going to get a bit chilly.

And that is a really cool set up, Whopper. I don't honestly think of myself as a geek either and I haven't (yet) played D&D and don't own any dice with more than 6 sides, but I tend to get along with geeks pretty well.

Equinox with heated leather seats* and "distressed" exterior (thank you Eldest Son :rolleyes:), thus sparing me the worry of whether a patient, random hoodlum, runaway shopping cart, or another teenaged driver is going to put a dent in it.

*oh yeah--VERY worth it for that morning commute. I'd like to see OP's "Lambo" make it out of my driveway in the winter, let alone get to work intact.

And yeah, Mrs. PsychDoc is driving a Honda Odyssey. Doesn't everyone?

I use my heated seats on "cold" mornings coming home from work here in Hawai'i (seriously - 62 degrees is COLD now!).

This car is pure sex. Since 300K per year is easily attainable in a multitude of specialties {even if Medicare cuts/Obamacare (hopefully gets repealed; thank god quite a bit's already been tossed in the trash) affect salaries, it won't alter them THAT much; those who still want money will get it}, it'll be my first purchase after residency. (I don't plan on getting married nor having kids, at least that soon)

2010-ferrari-458-italia.jpg