Why don't some schools release their match lists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1064759

What is the rationale behind this? We're going to medical school to match into a speciality/location of our interest, everything else is peripheral.

Does this mean that the school is hiding something?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the rationale behind this? We're going to medical school to match into a speciality/location of our interest, everything else is peripheral.

Does this mean that the school is hiding something?
It's all about what the med schools want, not what you want.

I can only hazard a guess as to why some schools don't publish their lists, but perhaps it's a privacy thing.

a match list isn't particularly useful for anyone who isnt a current student at that school. We like to post them here on SDN because we're neurotic data-maniacs that enjoy obsessing over things like this. I'm not saying thats a bad thing, cuz I do genuinely enjoy looking at big data dumps, almost regardless of the data lol. And when you're deciding between school A and B a match list can potentially be a helpful tool, but really only when you're trying to make a very narrow decision between schools that are potentially very different in their graduating outcomes. Most schools match lists outside of like the top 15 or so schools are nearly indistiguisshable.

And it's not necessarily all that useful a PR tool for med schools. Match lists are difficult to interpret and unless you know the people on the list personally there is a lot hidden information that makes using match lists as some kind of measuring tool very, very hard.

In fact, for PR it is generally better for a med school to say things like "50% of our grads are going into primary care!!!" even if the real number with PC as a career goal is like 10-15%, which is exactly what every single school does every year. They dont generally advertise grads skipping residency for biotech, banking, consulting, venture capital, or research even though all of that information might ALSO be of interest to potential students.

So they're not really hiding anything, it's just more a of a hassle than its worth it to the school to do an anonymized press release when it's not clear that it'll attract more donor money or applicant attn than just sending out a more general match day press release.

"We're going to med school to match into a location / specialty of interest" is a very narrow view of what happens in med school. There are some who stay true to their premed goals coming in, but the vast majority will change multiple times throughout med school. If you want an answer to "can i match X from Y?" the answer is yes, but it'll be easier from some X than others depending on Y. There's really not that much more to it.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak for others, but I would be weary of any school that won't post match lists/data now that USMLE Step 1 is going pass/fail. Step 2 scores tend to be higher for most so it is harder to distinguish yourself, meaning that where you go to school (and their match record) are much more important.

Reactions: 1 user
Match lists in general don’t mean anything as a prospective student. It might show you where the graduating class prefers to settle down if anything. Location is the number 1 factor for people choosing a residency most of the time. This leads to many many many students having “worse” matches than what their application would suggest. Undergrad and med school is a very long time to be away from your family (usually away) so people tend to choose where they live over prestige of program when choosing a residency.

Reactions: 1 users