why don't we all get the same score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all study 1st aid, brs path, brs phys. for 3-4 wks for boards, with some healthy variation on intensity and time. But what info is important is clear cut, none of it is analytically difficult and we all saw it during yrs 1&2. As far as i can tell, the test does not require intelligence, nothing extraordinary anyway; more realistically its about memorization ability.

So why don't we all get almost identical scores? Do some people memorize more or do they "understand" basic concepts better? Thx for answering what sounds to me like an idiotic question.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't we all get the same grades?
1. Study habits
2. Memorization skills
3. Ability to integrate information
4. Most importantly (in my opinion), test-taking skills

Excellent question. As I sat for the Step I, I recall several times during the exam that so many questions were either: 1) impossible or 2) able to be reasoned through with only a basic amount of "basic science" knowledge.

In short, I think a person's score largely depends on being able to apply a large amount of knowledge that is difficult only in that the material is so diverse. IMHO, those that do well on the Step I have knowledge that isn't as impressive in its depth as it is its breadth (i.e., spanning all the disciplines).