Why don't you hear anything about Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious what peoples thoughts were on Buffalo. Everybody seems to talk about every school except Buffalo. I interviewed there in December and although it was far from my first choice before the interview I came away very impressed with the school as a whole. Everybody there was very nice and it had a great clinic, everyone even gets their own Op. Actually the only two things that were a little dissapointing was the lab and the reputation of snow. I was accepted a few days after the interview and unless my local school comes through (Az) I am going to be very excited about starting school 2000 miles away in the fall. What are all of your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I had my Buffalo interview yesterday and my experience basically mirrored yours. I left feeling really confident about the interview itself. The pre-clinic lab was old, and the snow sucks, but everything else looks pretty darn good. I think I'd rather live here than in a very urban east coast school which gets almost as much snow. Upitt and Temple are next week so I'll see if opinions change between now and then.

I interviewed there in October and was accepted December 1st (but declined) and I fully agree with your assessment. The school seemed to be top notch. The only thing holding me back was the brutally cold weather, and acceptance into one of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm headed to Buffalo. I sent my check in around December 3rd.

I agree with the previous posters. I think Buffalo gets a bad rap because of the snow. If you talk to anyone who isn't from upstate or western New York about Buffalo, the first thing they will mention is the snow. The snow can get pretty bad if you're from the South and not used to snow, but it is not much worse than a lot of other cities.... like NYC, Boston, Philly, Detroit, etc. So I think the weather is a major turnoff for many people and why not a lot of people talk about Buffalo on SDN.

But despite the snow, you have relatively cheap tuition, dirt-cheap living expenses, and your own chair 3rd and 4th years. That's why I am going.