Why Go DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

heather

Ok all you DO medical students. What was your biggest influence when deciding to go osteopathic versus allopathic? Do you really believe in the manipulative therapy? I am a little indifferent and need a little input. Please reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Med school is medschool. For me it was location.

mig

Allopathics didn't want me but osteopathics did.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Had prior experiences with DO's and liked them.

2) Had prior experiences with manipulative therapy following a motor vehicle accident and found it helpful.

3) Applied specifically to DO/MPH and MD/MPH programs and cared less about the degree per se than the overall educational experience and quality.

Currently attending UNTHSC/TCOM and am very pleased with my decision.

I chose D.O. because of some very good role models and it's phylosophy. It was first choice. I did not apply to M.D. programs.
I was not very interested in manipulation. Now the manipulation part is one of my favourite courses. I saw it work. Your patients will rather get some manipulation than costly and invasive procedures.

Heather:

1) I liked the philosophy (but don't believe for a minute it's limited to DOs only)

2) I liked the DO's I met and worked with; they just seemed to enjoy their work a bit more at the time than some of the MD's I worked with did.

3) I was impressed with the schools I interviewed at; most of the DO schools were more focused on teaching undergraduate medical students.

3) Until you've K-crunched, you haven't lived.

good luck