Why go the Ph.D route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hammer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very curious as to your motivation posting this. There are good reasons to pursue each, and someone's choice of school is their own business. I know several PsyDs, some of them are expert witnesses, many of them teach (even at universities), some of them are on staff at medical schools, and many are on staff at hospitals. They pass the licensure exams as well as anyone else, and are upstanding members of the professional community.

I agree with the debt load issue - professional schools are expensive. However, someone who is also working, or is a parent, might find this to be a feasible option.

The problem with the field is the wonderful way we all backstab each other. This is why we stink at advocacy at the national level. Please reconsider fanning the flames of PhD vs Psy.D.

Cheers to you Janusdog!! I am so tired of old, self important arguments that miss the point entirely. I am just such a Psy.D., who is fully privileged on the medical staff of a large hospital, and thank you for your comments!

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
:D You're welcome!

Those that can do, those that can't get a PsyD.

You will be explaning that degree all your life.

But if that is all you can do .......

Hammer-- Psych Prof

I also have a Ph.D., and know what the difference is. Now you are a professor? Can we say Axis II. :eek:

I'll tell you what Hammer-time, I will do as you request if you give me your name, or license number, or anything that can prove you are who you state. Just send it to me as a personal message. :cool:

4.I needed balance in my job to prevent Burn Out. I worked for several lawyers and went to count. The opposing attorney tries to make me look weak and until the Judge stopped him he was doing a good job. Try to explain a PsyD to those folks.

Weird post. But allow me a 'tongue in cheek' response to point 4: How about the opposing atty calling into question a PhD psychologist's Doctor of PHILOSOPHY. "So you are a psychologist with a degree in Philosophy?" Perhaps a Dr of Psychology would be easier to explain.

Hey Hammer,
You pointed out that the programs you went to were not APA-approved. Was that ever an issue in court?

Mr. Hammer Time

I am certain many years back when PhD degrees were not as common as today, people with the degree had to explain what it is as much as professionals with a PsyD today are explaining it. In general, psychology is a young field that is quickly evolving and becoming more robust just ask anyone who utilized the services of PsyDs or PhDs. Soon enough people will not know what a psychologist with an RxP is but before you know it, they will all know that RxP is a psychologist with a master?s degree psychopharmacology and can prescribe psychotropic meds.

[I posted here where my degrees were from. Why can't you.

A PM--Naw I don't think so. I have no interest in a guy with 2 doctorates

I have sent several PM's here. Why do you think I am interested in your sorry azz.

My Ph.d degree was from an APA approved program.

Can anyone here read?

Psisci Why not post who you are in the thread re introductions?
Good luck with your GRE's.

It is not me many have accused of having a holier than thou attitude, and many do think you (Hammer) are not even a psychologist. Anyhow, my Ph.D. is in developmental psych from The Univ of London, Institute of Education, and my Psy.D. is from CSPP CA. I have an active license, am on the medical staff of a hospital, and am published. Your turn big guy. :cool:

psisci said:
It is not me many have accused of having a holier than thou attitude, and many do think you (Hammer) are not even a psychologist. Anyhow, my Ph.D. is in developmental psych from The Univ of London, Institute of Education, and my Psy.D. is from CSPP CA. I have an active license, am on the medical staff of a hospital, and am published. Your turn big guy. :cool:

Psici

I just got a job offer for clinical psych in London, how is the field there? Psychologists can work with an MA there right? I was thinking about taking the offer while I finish up my PhD. Also can you explain the whole GBR thing?

As for the PsyD v PhD debate you're degree is what you make it. Although, I do know a few PsyD's who have had to explain what their degree is. I don't think it matters... a doctor is a doctor... schools don't matter... it comes down to the individual.

Allotheria said:
Psici

I just got a job offer for clinical psych in London, how is the field there? Psychologists can work with an MA there right? I was thinking about taking the offer while I finish up my PhD. Also can you explain the whole GBR thing?

As for the PsyD v PhD debate you're degree is what you make it. Although, I do know a few PsyD's who have had to explain what their degree is. I don't think it matters... a doctor is a doctor... schools don't matter... it comes down to the individual.

you got it!!!!

Well said allotheria! Clinical psych is relatively new in the UK as a licensed field, and I left there in 1995, so I am not sure what to say. The best bet is to look up their psych board and get info from them.

:)

psisci said:
Well said allotheria! Clinical psych is relatively new in the UK as a licensed field, and I left there in 1995, so I am not sure what to say. The best bet is to look up their psych board and get info from them.

:)

Thanks a ton!! I'll just give them a call or send an email. I'm excited about working in London... I just wish everything wasn't so differnt "psych-wise."

Thanks again