Why God? Why??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can't assume it was the guy's bad mood that caused you to be rejected from the school.

Umm, huh? Perhaps you should read the post before replying. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Let's just say it's in TX and very,very close to UT-Houston. Yeah I'm probably screwing myself by talking so openly about this, but I'm slowly losing the will to exhibit discretion. Haha ok I'll leave it at that, I promise.

NOW this all makes sense to me.

As usual, L2D is right on. You will be met with much worse in the future. I would not let this bother you. Academic politicians are just strange people, and I'm sure this guy has tenure and probably more clout than the adcom. You coulda complained then, but I doubt it would have had any effect. Enough people want to go to that school that it doesn't matter. A letter is probably appropriate in the minds of reasonable people, but administrators are not reasonable people.

If you pick the school, and you still find it bothering you after you've started, give me a call; and we'll trade places. I'll pay any differences in tuition. Hell I'll pay both tuitions. :thumbup:

NOW this all makes sense to me.

As usual, L2D is right on. You will be met with much worse in the future. I would not let this bother you. Academic politicians are just strange people, and I'm sure this guy has tenure and probably more clout than the adcom. You coulda complained then, but I doubt it would have had any effect. Enough people want to go to that school that it doesn't matter. A letter is probably appropriate in the minds of reasonable people, but administrators are not reasonable people.

If you pick the school, and you still find it bothering you after you've started, give me a call; and we'll trade places. I'll pay any differences in tuition. Hell I'll pay both tuitions. :thumbup:

Haha ... honestly, I'd pay twice the tuition to go to this school too. Regardless of this experience. That's probably pathetic of me to admit, but I have about a snowball's chance in hell of getting into this school. And I mean before AND after that interview experience.

Yeah speaking to deanie I got the impression that this interviewer has major clout there. After doing a little more research, I found out my interview went to the same school for undergrad, med school, residency, and his son went there as well. AND (unless it's just a coincidence in name) he possibly has a hall named after him there? Sigh.

And to assume I'm a woman would be correct. :laugh: I'll borrow from Guju in saying- "not a dude! me = female". Also a guju female at that.

Members don't see this ad :)
What a bizarre story? Why on earth would they continue to allow him to interact with applicants?

Haha ... honestly, I'd pay twice the tuition to go to this school too. Regardless of this experience. That's probably pathetic of me to admit, but I have about a snowball's chance in hell of getting into this school. And I mean before AND after that interview experience.

Yeah speaking to deanie I got the impression that this interviewer has major clout there. After doing a little more research, I found out my interview went to the same school for undergrad, med school, residency, and his son went there as well. AND (unless it's just a coincidence in name) he possibly has a hall named after him there? Sigh.

And to assume I'm a woman would be correct. :laugh: I'll borrow from Guju in saying- "not a dude! me = female". Also a guju female at that.

Hahahaha! I thought you were female but I was assuming caucasian for some reason. That's cool though to meet another fellow desi. Good luck with whatever happens.

Did you interview with Dr. House?

I have to tell you that last night after I read this entire thread, I was discussing with my SO about what an injustice it was that you were treated so poorly. So, when we read that you had another interview, we were like "GREAT!!", but we both expressed in unison that the original interviewer should NOT be allowed to vote on your file.

He may be a member of the Adcom, but with his previous experience with you and his evaluation being thrown away (I HOPE that's what this second interview means), then how can he possibly be objective in his vote during the meeting?! I wouldn't press this issue with the dean, but even with the second interview, this whole situation sounds ridiculously unjust. I'm very frustrated for you, that the jerkoff gets to vote on your file, when that's just not proper, because all other adcom members will not have met you.

I wish you best of luck and I hope you get into the school. You'll show him! :luck:

I am really glad that you got a second opportunity here. It was clearly the right thing for the school to do as an attempt to rectify the situation. I really am hoping that you meet with success here. Good luck :luck: Let us all know how it turns out!!! :)

It'd be funny if she got accepted, matriculated, and ended up having that guy as a professor or advisor.

I have to tell you that last night after I read this entire thread, I was discussing with my SO about what an injustice it was that you were treated so poorly. So, when we read that you had another interview, we were like "GREAT!!", but we both expressed in unison that the original interviewer should NOT be allowed to vote on your file.

He may be a member of the Adcom, but with his previous experience with you and his evaluation being thrown away (I HOPE that's what this second interview means), then how can he possibly be objective in his vote during the meeting?! I wouldn't press this issue with the dean, but even with the second interview, this whole situation sounds ridiculously unjust. I'm very frustrated for you, that the jerkoff gets to vote on your file, when that's just not proper, because all other adcom members will not have met you.

I wish you best of luck and I hope you get into the school. You'll show him! :luck:

I hope y'all know I am representing each one of you med school applicants and this re-interview is in the name of my fellow SDN homies. I fully intend on kicking some ass here, and that is my pledge to each and every one of you. I'll be handing out lollipops and ass-whoopings that fateful day (next week). And guess what? That's right...I plan on being fresh out of lollipops.

By the way, to avoid any further controversy, my ass-whoopings will be strictly respectful and within the boundaries of professionalism. ;) Unless I run into my former interviewer. In which case I'll be breaking some old-man hips.

I hope y'all know I am representing each one of you med school applicants and this re-interview is in the name of my fellow SDN homies. I fully intend on kicking some ass here, and that is my pledge to each and every one of you. I'll be handing out lollipops and ass-whoopings that fateful day (next week). And guess what? That's right...I plan on being fresh out of lollipops.

By the way, to avoid any further controversy, my ass-whoopings will be strictly respectful and within the boundaries of professionalism. ;) Unless I run into my former interviewer. In which case I'll be breaking some old-man hips.

LOL...bring a little bottle of water to spill on the floor in case you seem him coming up the hall. Then when he trips and breaks that hip, you can scream lawsuit and help him up :laugh:

gogirl.GIF

Members don't see this ad :)

Even though I fully sympathize with and thoroughly enjoyed reading your story, since more and more schools are checking out SDN postings, aren't you a little nervous about your references to ass-whooping and hip-breaking (even though they're just jokes)? People are bound to misinterpret them and they'll surely be able to recognize you from your unusual story...

Anyhow, the whole ordeal is every applicant's worst nightmare and I'm glad you received another chance at an interview :luck: :thumbup:

Even though I fully sympathize with and thoroughly enjoyed reading your story, since more and more schools are checking out SDN postings, aren't you a little nervous about your references to ass-whooping and hip-breaking (even though they're just jokes)? People are bound to misinterpret them and they'll surely be able to recognize you from your unusual story...

Anyhow, the whole ordeal is every applicant's worst nightmare and I'm glad you received another chance at an interview :luck: :thumbup:

:laugh: ... that is the most paranoid post I have ever read, nicely written.

Hmm. Perhaps? No really, you're probably right about this. Part of me isn't worried about elder adcom members reading SDN, but I guess given the randomness of the initial even in itself I should be a little more careful.... So I guess I should edit this and say that I mean all that in a metaphorical sense. Hip-breaking and ass-whooping nonetheless, but in the sense that I break the interview's hips and whoop the ass of the interview questions. Or something?? Yikes.

OK I really must add this. Um, so I just checked my email and apparently my wonderful, now-infamous interviewer decided to send me a little message. I'll copy and paste it for your enjoyment. I'm confused as to whether this guy thinks this is an apology??? I really could have cared less about an apology from him, by the way!:

"I recently interviewed you as a candidate for our College of Medicine class of 2011 and was notified that you found the interview to be an unfavorable experience. I am sorry you feel that way. Good luck."

HAH. This man is certifiable. Everyone knows that's the ultimate anti-apology. I could care less at this point, now that I have a rescheduled interview, but damn.
Em,
I'd suggest that you keep a hard copy of this email when you attend your next interview at this school, in case you want to inform Deanie McDean about this unwanted correspondence. I mean, it's such an anti-apology as to be rude and intrusive.
Good luck with the rest of your admissions process!

It sounded, though, like the dean told him "write her something and TRY to sound diplomatic."

I particularly liked the part, "I'm sorry you feel that way." What a loser.

I highly doubt this case has anything to do with a planned "stress test" If it were, the school would almost certainly inform you at the end of it (Like, "Hey, sorry I was just a dick to your for the bast 30 minutes but here is why....you did well....etc.)

no, they wouldn't. they would relish in the fact that they were able to torture your, then waitlist you, and then not send you an official rejection at the end of the summer.

hey em,

really sorry to hear about the terrible interview experience. :-(

what if you give him the benefit of the doubt? perhaps, he had the crappiest day, wasn't thinking straight, and started blathering whatever came to mind. on a very crabby autopilot. saying / doing stuff without actually thinking. haven't we all had horrible days when we've said stuff without thinking? going through the motions without being entirely cognizant of words. he doesn't have a history of being obnoxious to applicants, something must have triggered him to be pissed off earlier that day, and you had the unfortunate timing of being his interviewee.

people are idiotic when emotionally charged and are prone to doing/saying stupid things. perhaps he was genuine in his apology email. what more could he really say? it'd be awkward to bring his personal life into it if his actions were driven by a crappy day.

i'm not sure you need to worry too much. the school acknowledged and apologized for the action. they are interested in your issue and have made an attempt to remedy the matter by granting you another interview and by dealing with the interviewer. the committee will be made aware of the conditions of the interview, so I doubt the orginal interview's vote with hold too much clout, especially if the other interviewer deemed the situation to be inappropriate. he has no credibility for your interview, so don't worry about it!

Just rock the next interview :)

Best wishes to you!

That sucks. That's why you need to interview at multiple schools, so you can afford a few losses like this one. It happens. I got waitlisted at one school because I had poor "chemistry" with my interviewer and I failed to step up and perform despite it.

Em,
I'd suggest that you keep a hard copy of this email when you attend your next interview at this school, in case you want to inform Deanie McDean about this unwanted correspondence. I mean, it's such an anti-apology as to be rude and intrusive.
Good luck with the rest of your admissions process!

I was thinking something along the same lines, of what would be the diplomatic way to use this email to point out that this guy is a biased a-hole who should not be deciding your fate....Good Luck on your interview, and let us all know how it goes!!! :luck:

people are idiotic when emotionally charged and are prone to doing/saying stupid things. perhaps he was genuine in his apology email. what more could he really say? it'd be awkward to bring his personal life into it if his actions were driven by a crappy day.
Umm...he could have actually apologized for starters. I don't think anyone would expect him to make excuses for his behavior, but a real apology would go a long way toward making things better.

Hey all-

I have just returned from an interview and the process has left me feeling uneasy. One of the people I interviewed with had the interviewer (a surgeon) take her with him into the operating room and then to visit with his next breath patient (where he had her listen to breath sounds, etc). I will be the first to admit I am a little jealous she got to have an hour shadowing a doctor while my interviewer grilled me hardcore...but that is not what is bothering me. They didn't have her sign a confidentiality agreement so I am pretty sure they were breaking the Patients Right to Privacy act. I don't know why it s bothering me- perhaps I am imagining what it would be like to have an applicant (being interviewed no less) at my exam. It jus does not sit right with me. Thanks for letting me vent.

Hey all-

I have just returned from an interview and the process has left me feeling uneasy. One of the people I interviewed with had the interviewer (a surgeon) take her with him into the operating room and then to visit with his next breath patient (where he had her listen to breath sounds, etc). I will be the first to admit I am a little jealous she got to have an hour shadowing a doctor while my interviewer grilled me hardcore...but that is not what is bothering me. They didn't have her sign a confidentiality agreement so I am pretty sure they were breaking the Patients Right to Privacy act. I don't know why it s bothering me- perhaps I am imagining what it would be like to have an applicant (being interviewed no less) at my exam. It jus does not sit right with me. Thanks for letting me vent.

That's what SDN is here for. Wow, that is suprising, considering some schools don't even let applicants into the anatomy labs.

Congrats on getting another interview, Em.

And I'm amazed you're still interested in the school. I'd be afraid of running into that doctor for the next 4 years, seeing as he's obviously a jerk. So kudos to you for that, and good luck.

So I had my interview day do-over, and it was without a doubt far smoother than the original.

The only 2 slightly uncomfortable moments were when one of my interviewers asked me why I needed to schedule another interview and specifically what happened with my original interviewer. I was thinking, why is this relevant right now? Well I know why it's relevant, but he asked the question at a weird time in the middle of other questions about my research and one clinical experience in particular. Like he just completely messed up my concentration and flow, but oh well.

And then the other uncomfortable moment was when I spotted Dr. Jekyll in the admissions office (go figure) talking to yet another secretary, but this time in a normal and more human tone. I kind of felt my stomach turn when I noticed him, and he looked up at me for a second and then went back to what he was doing. I felt a fleeting urge to go up to him and say something, but of course I wasn't about to do that. Ugh, and he has this smug look on his face all the time like he's just waiting to find his next prey- some other innocent aspiring medical student whose hopes and dreams he can shoot down with a roll of his eyes and whatever insults he can think up...yeahhh but I'm not still angry or anything though.

Other than that, it seemed fine. I'm sure I was judged a bit upon coming back, and I don't know what kind of rapport the members of the adcom have with my original interviewer so I can't say what they were thinking. I am a really compliant, easygoing interviewer so it's not like I would try to throw them a loop or be a jerk so I can only hope that they realize that.

Cross your fingers for me, my SDN friends!

Your biggest ally in your quest to get accepted may be the doctor who overheard the interview and reported it as well. It may be worth it to you to try and contact that person and see if they can just submit a statement to the ADCOM supporting your story. That way you wont (possibly) be seen as just a nervous interviewee who misinterpreted the situation. Good Luck.

I'm glad they gave you another interview and that it went pretty well! I had a very similar interview experience, although compared to your interviewer mine might be considered nice. I wrote an email to the director of admissions about this and never got a response. Needless to say, I withdrew from the school.

So I had my interview day do-over, and it was without a doubt far smoother than the original.

The only 2 slightly uncomfortable moments were when one of my interviewers asked me why I needed to schedule another interview and specifically what happened with my original interviewer. I was thinking, why is this relevant right now? Well I know why it's relevant, but he asked the question at a weird time in the middle of other questions about my research and one clinical experience in particular. Like he just completely messed up my concentration and flow, but oh well.

And then the other uncomfortable moment was when I spotted Dr. Jekyll in the admissions office (go figure) talking to yet another secretary, but this time in a normal and more human tone. I kind of felt my stomach turn when I noticed him, and he looked up at me for a second and then went back to what he was doing. I felt a fleeting urge to go up to him and say something, but of course I wasn't about to do that. Ugh, and he has this smug look on his face all the time like he's just waiting to find his next prey- some other innocent aspiring medical student whose hopes and dreams he can shoot down with a roll of his eyes and whatever insults he can think up...yeahhh but I'm not still angry or anything though.

Other than that, it seemed fine. I'm sure I was judged a bit upon coming back, and I don't know what kind of rapport the members of the adcom have with my original interviewer so I can't say what they were thinking. I am a really compliant, easygoing interviewer so it's not like I would try to throw them a loop or be a jerk so I can only hope that they realize that.

Cross your fingers for me, my SDN friends!

Hey...did you know that Dr. Jekyll was actually the nice guy, and Mr. Hyde was the monster? (Just a literary "aside"! Of course I knew what you meant!)
Good luck....

The fact that he called you young lady, as if he was a powertripping highschool vice pricipal, is unacceptable. I think that by the time you arrive to a med school interview you have earned the right to be treated as a professional adult.

I would have gone to a bar and had a few beers. THEN, I would have come to the conclusion that I should complain and get another interview, but i would get a hotelroom and gone back the next day after having sobered up and showered, because I wouldnt want anyone getting the wrong idea.