Why has PCCM gotten so competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ordersol7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current PGY-4 fellow so the match is behind me but I still keep in the loop and cant help but notice over the past few years how much more difficult it has been to match in this field. The NRMP numbers seem to back this with PCCM this year having a higher percentage of unmatched applicants than even cards and GI, though there is some self-selection there granted. I'm curious to know if anyone here has any theories on what's driving this since as far as I'm aware pay and demand hasn't drastically gone up for pulm/crit docs.

Members don't see this ad.

It's hospitalist type work without the bull**** of being a hospitalist.

Meaning, you get the to be primary, coordinate consultants, and do medicine with a shift work mentality, but don't have to deal as much with dispo, insurance, f/u, outpatient care coordination. It has a perceived better lifestyle than cards and GI and still lets you do procedures.

Also pulm offers a bailout from getting burned out in the ICU and lets you play a consultant role as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current PGY-4 fellow so the match is behind me but I still keep in the loop and cant help but notice over the past few years how much more difficult it has been to match in this field. The NRMP numbers seem to back this with PCCM this year having a higher percentage of unmatched applicants than even cards and GI, though there is some self-selection there granted. I'm curious to know if anyone here has any theories on what's driving this since as far as I'm aware pay and demand hasn't drastically gone up for pulm/crit docs.

Employed shift work usually. Good pay with tables that continue to go up. Usually discharge and dispo is not an issue. Pulm (out patient) is kind of a pain in the ass, but you get better at it and since it is one organ you can easily turf anything that isn't related. A lot of demand for us as far as I can tell, there is always people asking me to go work for them.

Reactions: 1 users