"Why I'm Ashamed to be a Vet" article

Started by Bearby
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bearby

UF CVM c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...essary-treatments-fleece-trusting-owners.html

I just found this article online and am disappointed by the view that this vet student had/has. I've never viewed a veterinarian giving owners options as being a way to only make more money. I have known many owners who have had pets that needed to be humanely euthanized because they had no quality of life, but would not allow the veterinarian to do that. I have worked with 10 different vets and have never met one that would push for a surgery or an oncology referral if the owner did not seem like they wanted to pursue it. I also have never known anyone to look up where someone lived to make judgements about what to offer. We judge people every day by the condition of their animals but we offer the same care to each person who walks through the door. If some people aren't able or willing to do what is deemed best then we modify to do what we can. I'm a little disgusted right now.
 
I agree with you Bearby. I have never had a vet push expensive procedures on an owner who does not want them. At my practice we strive to provide the best quality of life for the animal. It is sad the point of view this student had clearly a bias when he could have taken in what profs or other vets he worked with said, however, form his own belief of how to run a practice or diagnose and treat differently from what he was taught. Definitely sad that they refer to the field of practice in this way.
 
In my personal experience, I have not worked with a vet with even enough time in the day to THINK about googling to see how large a clients home is so "expensive" treatments could be offered. Apparently the author of the article hasn't seen it happen but has heard about. Stating hearsy as factucal? Hmmmm
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought it was interesting that he laid all the problems associated with breeding for certain traits in breeds (the dachshunds and bulldogs specifically) at the vets who assist breeders doors. The BREEDER is the one who selected for those traits and vets are doing what they can do alleviate the issues caused by it.
 
I certainly agree with some of the points the author makes about putting animal welfare above the emotional impulses of human owners. Actually, as technology advances I think that ethical dilemmas have and will continue to arise at the point where length of life reaches beyond quality of life -in both animal and human medicine. Knowing the best course of action to pursue becomes much less clearly defined, and each case should really be viewed independently.

And yes, like in any other profession there are probably other individuals out there who lose sight of moral decision-making when faced with the chance to earn more money. That said, I think leaving the profession and writing bitter articles about the corruption is a course of action that is just as emotionally-based and malproductive as some of the scenarios the author suggests.

It seems to me that dedicating yourself to the ethical practice of medicine and encouraging your colleagues to do the same would best meet the interests of animal welfare.
 
It's from the Daily Mail-not exactly the pinnacle of newspaper talent!

Haha thats exactly what I was going to say!

I equate the Daily Mail with...I dunno...its not as bad as the national enquirer but its pretty trashy reading.
 
Wow. That is a terribly untrue and misguided article.

He writes: "Small animals such as guinea pigs and rabbits should be put to sleep if they present with an illness that can't be easily rectified with a dose of antibiotics."

What?? So if your young rabbit has a tumor, it is cruel to remove it? Or fix a hernia? This is absolutely rediculous. I can't believe this sensationalist 😕 was published!

I hope this guy goes broke now and nobody buys his stupid book.

Looks like it has dismal reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...ts=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

A lady at our clinic brought her rabbit in with an infection in their leg. We cleaned it daily but nothing seemed to work and the lady chose to have the rabbits leg amputated. One day I finally got to meet and speak with the lady who owned the infamous Charlie. She spoke of him as if he was her dog/cat and she really informed me more about rabbits lives. I didnt realize they could live THAT long. He was really her child and she would do anything to save him. A week later he was doing GREAT! he learned to jump around with 3 legs and eat/clean himself.
sweet story 😀
 
Did Brodriatrist write that? 😉

Googling a client's house? Seriously?

"But like humans, cats and dogs get sick from time to time. The best response is to wait and see, not offer a battery of blood tests and invasive operations."

Yes- that is what we should do. Anytime a sick pet comes in we should just wait it out. No bloodwork, no diagnostics, nothing.

That whole thing just makes me mad!

And to claim that vets are responsible for designer dogs? Um, it is not my fault that you bought a $1000 mini yorkie... but as a vet I will treat your pet. Is that wrong? Should I refuse because I think your bulldog should never have been born?

Gr!! 😡


​
 
That's right, wait and see until the condition is too far advanced to treat, then euthanize. What an arrogant d*ck.

If he really thinks that vet medicine is so screwed up, why didn't he open his own practice and resolve to treat owners and animals the way he sees fit instead of bloviating?
 
Maybe we'd wait it out if the animal could speak and tell us what was wrong! Since they can't talk, we have to figure it out on our own to make sure its not something that's just going to go away in a day or two.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hahaha he found it! Silly Brodiatrist. When was the last time your primary physician even gave you options? Any time my family has had to go to the hospital diagnostics and treatments were just done. There was no "we recommend doing this to check for this." Oh, and I've been wondering, if Podiatry is so boring as to drive you to other medical forums, why would anyone want to be a part of that field?
 
:corny:

I hope this gets good.

@Brodiatrist - I am disappointed by your weak response, work on your subpar trolling.
 
Sweet, he's back! And here I thought I was going to be bored surfing the inter-webs tonight! 😀
 
Brodiatrist: Care to actually address the content of any of our responses, or are you just here to hear yourself talk, as usual?

Vnair2, maybe we should start rating posts by trolls. I give this post a 1.5/10 on the ITS (International Troll Scale).
 
"But like humans, cats and dogs get sick from time to time. The best response is to wait and see, not offer a battery of blood tests and invasive operations. "

I really was curious about this line in particiular. Wouldn't there be legal/ethical ramifications say, if a person comes to a vet and says they think their dog is acting "off" without any definite problems listed and the vet says to "wait and see". Let say the unlying cause is diabetes or cancer that the client might have otherwise been willing to pay for it. The testing for diabetes being relatively simple. Negligence?


I give footguy a 1.
 
Last edited:
Brodiatrist: Care to actually address the content of any of our responses, or are you just here to hear yourself talk, as usual?

Vnair2, maybe we should start rating posts by trolls. I give this post a 1.5/10 on the ITS (International Troll Scale).

Agreed. It was weak at best.
 
Agreed. It was weak at best.

Come on, give him a break. He works on feet. You can't expect him to have the sort of brains it takes to come up with a well thought out, intelligent, witty response.
 
A lady at our clinic brought her rabbit in with an infection in their leg. We cleaned it daily but nothing seemed to work and the lady chose to have the rabbits leg amputated. One day I finally got to meet and speak with the lady who owned the infamous Charlie. She spoke of him as if he was her dog/cat and she really informed me more about rabbits lives. I didnt realize they could live THAT long. He was really her child and she would do anything to save him. A week later he was doing GREAT! he learned to jump around with 3 legs and eat/clean himself.
sweet story 😀

Yep, they can live 9-12 years if taken good care. They have fantastic personality when you give them a chance, I think. They are quiet and clean. You can litter train them like a cat. Mine does tricks on voice command. There are even some great YouTube videos of them doing agility type courses. My favorite species 😍
 
From the RCVS:

"Despite Mr Watkinson's statement that he has left the veterinary profession altogether, he remains on the RCVS Register as a non-practising member. We would also urge Daily Mail</EM> readers to consider this article in light of the fact that his new book is about to be published. Further details about Mr Watkinson's book marketing views are available here."

He hates it so much, but doesn't sound like he gave up the practice. I wonder if any of the places he worked at have any ability to pursue slander issues.
 
Come on, give him a break. He works on feet. You can't expect him to have the sort of brains it takes to come up with a well thought out, intelligent, witty response.

You want well thought out? Let's start with career choices..After 7 years of schooling, you'll be in a mountain of debt, surrounded by animal feces, finally realizing "saving animals" is not your calling because you'll be killing more than you save, all while making slightly more than a private school custodian. I'll be making 2-3x what you pull in, enjoying every moment of my life knowing I'm not killing anyone, or anything just to turn a profit for a living. I only wish I could be there to see life hit you in the face.
 
You want well thought out? Let's start with career choices..After 8 years of schooling, you'll be surrounded by animals finally realizing "saving animals" is your calling because it is the most amazing career of all. I'll be making 2-3x what you pull in, agonizing every moment of my life knowing I was not smart enough to cut it out as a vet and actually trusted with a life. I only wish I wouldn't have to smell stinky feet for the rest of my life.

I fixed it for you!!! 😀
 
You want well thought out? Let's start with career choices..After 7 years of schooling, you'll be in a mountain of debt, surrounded by animal feces, finally realizing "saving animals" is not your calling because you'll be killing more than you save, all while making slightly more than a private school custodian. I'll be making 2-3x what you pull in, enjoying every moment of my life knowing I'm not killing anyone, or anything just to turn a profit for a living. I only wish I could be there to see life hit you in the face.
But let's think about what happens when that bunion that you thought you treated correctly goes south and that little old lady trips and takes a header into the stairs at her church and dies. Murdered by her podiatrist 🙁
 
You want well thought out? Let's start with career choices..After 7 years of schooling, you'll be in a mountain of debt, surrounded by animal feces, finally realizing "saving animals" is not your calling because you'll be killing more than you save, all while making slightly more than a private school custodian. I'll be making 2-3x what you pull in, enjoying every moment of my life knowing I'm not killing anyone, or anything just to turn a profit for a living. I only wish I could be there to see life hit you in the face.
Wait, you must really have a thing for feet. Are you REALLY looking forward to a lifetime of looking at other people's tinea pedis, ingrown toenails, and diabetic neuropathy, or are you looking forward to the Beemer you'll get to drive home?

Are you saying we just shouldn't have vets at all? Just let the animals tough it out for themselves and shoot them when they don't get better?

Please, if you're going to insult our profession, get your facts straight. We deal with feces, reflux/vomit, snot, blood, AND pus.

Thank you folks for stopping by and interacting with our very own pet forum troll. He gets fed three times a week, reserve your seats now. Please, a round of applause for Brodiatrist!
 
Gah! StinkyFeet found it. pooh, its funny that he thinks picking toe cheese and scratching peoples sweaty bunions is so much more noble a cause then vet med.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You want well thought out? Let's start with career choices..After 7 years of schooling, you'll be in a mountain of debt, surrounded by animal feces, finally realizing "saving animals" is not your calling because you'll be killing more than you save, all while making slightly more than a private school custodian. I'll be making 2-3x what you pull in, enjoying every moment of my life knowing I'm not killing anyone, or anything just to turn a profit for a living. I only wish I could be there to see life hit you in the face.

Hmm...I give this one a 5 on the ITS. Anyone else? It's definitely pretty troll-y. 😴
 
You want well thought out? Let's start with career choices..After 7 years of schooling, you'll be in a mountain of debt, surrounded by animal feces, finally realizing "saving animals" is not your calling because you'll be killing more than you save, all while making slightly more than a private school custodian. I'll be making 2-3x what you pull in, enjoying every moment of my life knowing I'm not killing anyone, or anything just to turn a profit for a living. I only wish I could be there to see life hit you in the face.
Wow, you certainly seem to fail to grasp the purpose of vet med. It has no more to do with saving animals than being a policeman has to do with shooting people. Both fields are part of the protection of the human population. If it was about saving animals, don't you think the majority of vets would be out running around where the majority of the animals are (in the wild) rather than at the human/animal interface? Well thought out? Your arguments haven't come close to "whimsically considered" yet. I'll personalize this one for you.
After 9 years of schooling in a major university (did 4 undergrad, 1 grad), I'll be in about $70K debt (pretty much guaranteed the HPSP and my wife will be in her residency), surrounded by well trained soldiers that I can mold into an effective team. I'll be pulling in roughly $9000 a month (this is in 2017) pre-taxes and withholdings (if the current rate of pay increases continues).
I will be loving life because I will no longer have to deal with idiots who grew up with computers yet do not know how to conduct basic troubleshooting. I will no longer get a call 3 hours after I have gone home to come back into work to plug in a CD ROM or because someone in another section lost a radio, didn't look for it, and claimed that they didn't have it. I will have somewhat regular hours and not have to call my wife at noon to tell her that I won't be home for dinner because I have to go jump out of an airplane at 2AM and then lay on a large open field all night. I will be able to set hour hours so that I will only have to work a weekend when I want to, and will be able to make that day up during the week. I will be able to travel around to inspect the various factories that provide food to the military (and get paid more for my trouble). I will have the opportunity to live in foreign countries and be responsible for vet support across huge regions.

The negatives: I'll lose 4 years of accumulating time in grade, pushing my promotion to major off a bit. I will also lose half of my present time in grade upon entry into vet school, pushing the promotion off further. I will have to separate from the Army for the bulk of 4 years, losing my pay and benefits. I won't be able to buy a big house and put a lot of effort into making it "mine" because I'll eventually be leaving it.

Overall, I can't see a single bad thing that would cause me concern about this profession. It is merely a sign of your ignorance (which is generally shared by most of the population, which in general does not take a critical eye to anything) when you denigrate vet med as only about saving animals. I can only hope that you approach foot med with a bit more thought.
 
After 7 years of schooling, you'll be in a mountain of debt, surrounded by animal feces

i honestly don't mind animal feces so much. now human feces is disgusting, and i feel sooooooooooooooo awful for the MD's who have to deal with them. but i forgot, you're not going to be an MD and you won't really be dealing with much of that. i also think that human feet are disgusting. no money in the world will make me want to work with stinky feet. if i were a podiatrist, i would have a foot cleaning station attached to each patient exam room and make them do a thorough disinfecting.

worst nightmare is taking off a cast after weeks from a person with stinky feet. :scared:
 
You want well thought out? Let's start with career choices..After 7 years of schooling, you'll be in a mountain of debt, surrounded by animal feces, finally realizing "saving animals" is not your calling because you'll be killing more than you save, all while making slightly more than a private school custodian. I'll be making 2-3x what you pull in, enjoying every moment of my life knowing I'm not killing anyone, or anything just to turn a profit for a living. I only wish I could be there to see life hit you in the face.
hey this guy is just a realist.
I bet most of you kind of agree with him now.

Maybe brodiatrist was really me? We never posted at the same time!