why Ireland??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HussainGQ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to go to Ireland??From what I understand, they way medicine is taught in Europe is very different from the way it is taught in North America. Atleast if you go the Carribean, you are taught the AMerican style; I am not saying that it is any better than the European style, but if you want to practice in America, you should learn in a system that is similar. People obviously do come from overseas, but their transition into the system is a lot more difficult compared to those who have studied overseas.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's because it sounds better than going to the Caribbean. Better reputation? And you don't have to live in a third world country (which at Ross would only be for 16 months before going back to the U.S.).

i don't think teaching style really has that much of an effect on where you can end up practicing....there are TONS of irish doctors practicing in Canada and the U.S. the only advantage of going to the carribean is that you get a little more spoonfeeding for the USMLE's. it's certainly not impossible to prepare for htem on your own or based on the materials you get in your irish/european classes...i know a lot of people who have done well and are going to the states for residency. and i think most schools in europe don't carry the same stigma as many of the carribean ones do. i think the biggest factor is lifestyle. od you want to live in the carribean or in europe...either way you'll end up practicing in the u.s. without any major hurdles.

WHY NOT Ireland? A lot of people who've come over here have had contact with Irish physicians in the past and think it'd be a cool place to study medicine. A lot go for the cultural element as well, people go because they want to experience european culture. And, some people have "Irish roots" and want to be near family/friends. And question...WHY would we WANT to be taught in the American system? okay, obvious answer is that those of us looking to practice back in the US would feel "safer" with an American system. But truth be told, that's pretty bunk. Medical education is for the most part, standard - you learn the same anatomy, the same physiology, etc. so not following an American system doesn't really hurt us. US/Canadian Irish IMGs do very well in the match and on the USMLE. Many US IMGs will do rotations and electives in the US to get a feel for what it's like. There may be a transition period where US IMGs may have to adjust to practicing back in the US, but people catch up very quickly and this doesn't present a problem.

It gives people like me a chance to live outside the box that is the US for awhile, while pursuing medicine. I personally didn't apply in the US because the thought of studying in the "American system" depressed the hell out of me, and have found an alternative that works wonderfully.