Why is an alcohol more reactive than a ketone?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Deepa100, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Deepa100

Deepa100 Junior Member

Is it because alcohol has a proton it can lose? Also, why is alcohol more polar than a ketone?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 161927

161927 Guest

Pre-Pharmacy
    An alcohol is more polar than a ketone because it can engage in hydrogen bonding with more molecules of itself or with polar solvents. A ketone can hydrogen bond with other polar molecules with acidic hydrogens, but it cannot hydrogen bond with itself.

Alcohols have a different type of reactivity than ketones, and I'm not certain what you mean when you say that alcohols are more reactive. Ketones tend to react by nucleophilic addition/elimination reactions, while alcohols exhibit other kinds of chemistry, such as eliminations and substitutions.

4. unsung

Resident [Any Field]
    Also, I believe the carbonyl bond is shorter (pi bond) than the C-O bond in alcohol, so the dipole moment would be smaller too, since it's a function of length.

5. Deepa100

Deepa100 Junior Member

I have seen a line in a AAMC test solution somewhere that stated that alcohols are more reactive. I forgot the context though, I will have to go back and look.

6. niranjan162

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

#5 niranjan162, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  7. JA Prufrock

JA Prufrock Serenity Now!

Pre-Medical
    I don't think that's right; oxygen has 2 lone pairs on both the hydroxyl group and the carbonyl group

8. seraph524

MD/PhD Student
    Alcohols are more reactive because the -OH can be made into a great leaving group via protonation. Turning a R-OH into R-OH2+ makes the R more susceptible to nucleophilic attack.

Example:

R-OH + HBr --> R-OH2+ + Br- --> R-Br + H2O

This can be done with HI and HCl (to a lesser degree) as well.

Ketones however, even when protonated, is not a leaving group. A protonated ketone will only allow the carbonyl carbon to be susceptible to nucleophilic attack, turning it into an alcohol.

9. seraph524

MD/PhD Student
    Note however, these are just general rules. A complex tertiary alcohol will be LESS reactive than a simple acetone.

10. Deepa100

Deepa100 Junior Member

Thanks, man!