Why is Astronomy under science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vic90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking an astronomy course to boost my sci GPA, but I'm wondering if it will really work. Do adcoms see right through this attempt to pad the GPA? It doesn't have anything to do with medicine. Even if I get an A and it pulls my GPA up, will they not really consider it?

Members don't see this ad.

I've wondered the same thing. Not astronomy, but I had a friend who's a biology major in his senior year and he's taking BIO 101 to boost his GPA.

I've wondered the same thing. Not astronomy, but I had a friend who's a biology major in his senior year and he's taking BIO 101 to boost his GPA.

Astronomy as a senior = learning something new (even if it is an easier course)

Taking Biol 101 as a PREMED senior = trying to scam the system! Does this individual really want to answer the question, "So, I see here that you have taken an 'Intro to Bio' course after Genetics, Biochemistry, Immunology.....was that a meaningful experience for you?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Astronomy can still have heavy physics components to it. That said, I took it for fun because I was legitimately interested in astronomy. It was still one of the easiest classes I took in college.

I took it to pad my BCPM. It had a good amount of math and physics.

So, "your friend" took all these premed courses and upper level science courses, and is now taking a basic biology course? I would take a better science class or elective.

It really depends on the school, but I wouldn't automatically assume astronomy's a piece of cake. I took it my junior year to maintain enough units while I was studying for the MCAT, and it turned out to be a surprising amount of work.

As for being included in the BCPM, I doubt schools are going to spend a whole lot of time scrutinizing it ... its on the list of accepted science courses, and that's all that really matters. The whole point of the AAMC including chem, physics and math in the science GPA (vs having just a "premed" or medicine-related GPA) is the recognition that all these courses require you to draw on your analytic and problem solving skills, albeit in slightly different ways.

I am an astronomy major, and trust me when I say that upper level astronomy courses are some of the most difficult I've taken. And that includes upper level bio, chem, phys, etc. A lot of people take astro 101 because its easy. But the upper level astronomy classes are heavily based in math/physics. That's why it is included.

As for whether they will consider your 101 class, I can't think of why not. It's technically a physics class and it requires some scientific ability. I say take it and enjoy it. It's a really cool subject, but I'm biased haha

My school classifies astronomy as physics. When I took astronomy it was literally a (albeit dumbed down) review of physics 1 and several physics 2 concepts.

Last edited:
astronomy is every bit as much science as into biology courses are. I dont see what the issue is.

The thing is the astro course my school offers is an introductory course, for non-science majors. Is that okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Astronomy was one of my very favorite classes - easy and interesting coursework without ever feeling like I was being forced to learn. Plus, that A counts in BCPM. Loved it!

considering you should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 semester hours by the time you graduate, I wouldnt worry too much about 1 class in terms of how it gets classified and whether or not it is deserving of that.

I took astronomy as part of my post-bac because I thought it would be interesting and could help raise my sgpa. It turned out to be one of the harder classes I've taken. It probably varies from school to school, but I wouldn't worry about adcoms looking down on you for taking it. Intro bio as a senior, on the other had, may get a second look....

Premed advisor just got back to me and sad it's frowned upon to take an intro course for non-science majors like Astronomy :/

Premed advisor just got back to me and sad it's frowned upon to take an intro course for non-science majors like Astronomy :/

We have literature majors in our class...... how is astronomy a bad idea compared to other fluff courses we all have. Your pre Med advisor has never applied to Med school or been on an admissions committee (presumably). If you want to take the class, take it.

At my school astronomy is listed under physics, but I'm not sure to be honest for AMCAS.

Don't listen, just take it. College is for learning, not proving yourself to someone. You've got your grades in prereqs and MCAT for that. Additionally, if it's in a field outside of your major, I don't think it will be looked badly upon to take a course just for fun. If anyone asks you about it, just tell them simply that. I thought astronomy seemed cool and fun so I decided to take it.

College isn't all about preparing the perfect med school app.

But how would adcoms know that it is for non-science majors?

Would it be a bad idea to take "physics for future presidents"?

Don't listen, just take it. College is for learning, not proving yourself to someone. You've got your grades in prereqs and MCAT for that. Additionally, if it's in a field outside of your major, I don't think it will be looked badly upon to take a course just for fun. If anyone asks you about it, just tell them simply that. I thought astronomy seemed cool and fun so I decided to take it.

Thank you. I hate it when people try to convince you to take or not certain courses without giving legitimate reasons...

yeah... I guess I don't need to listen to everything the premed advisor says :rolleyes: