Why is Drexel so hated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidthegnome

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a valid reason for this? I interviewed there and the campus was nice with good technology and facilities, plus they have a clinical experiences in both urban and rural areas. Its also pretty cool that the have symptom based lecture blocks or pbl. Or maybe its just fun to hate Drexel.

Members don't see this ad.

davidthegnome said:
Is there a valid reason for this? I interviewed there and the campus was nice with good technology and facilities, plus they have a clinical experiences in both urban and rural areas. Its also pretty cool that the have symptom based lecture blocks or pbl. Or maybe its just fun to hate Drexel.

I came away with the same impression when I went there. I think the only two things I can think of that people bash the school for are a) its past and for some, b) Philadelphia.

I think Drexel is having some financial troubles, and I think they may have been bankrupt or close to it a a few years ago. I know they've let go of at least one of their training hospitals. Drexel does have a nice campus though, high-tech wireless facilities, classes are made available online so you can watch them from home, and its in a quiet suburb of Philly. Philly is a fun city as well, great bars and clubs, T.O. and A.I.. I dont see why people bash it so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeffy said:
I came away with the same impression when I went there. I think the only two things I can think of that people bash the school for are a) its past and for some, b) Philadelphia.

When you say past did you mean the financial troubles? From what I know, MCP Hahnemann had a great reputation, but financial problems brought its reputation down some. Since its acquisition though I think it has been up and coming. (If you know more let me know because im interested in the school).

I visted the school and I loved everything about it, and because it is not on a medical center property it has a real comfortable feel to it, yet theres MCP hospital around the corner. The residency placement is good and the curriculum, which is they call inovative, actually is innovative unlike a lot of other curricula I saw. Anyway those are my thoughts... anyone wanna share about what they think with SUNY Stony Brook vs Drexel?? (Considering more than just Stony Brooks better rep.)

Thanks...

Blue Scrub said:
I think Drexel is having some financial troubles, and I think they may have been bankrupt or close to it a a few years ago. I know they've let go of at least one of their training hospitals. Drexel does have a nice campus though, high-tech wireless facilities, classes are made available online so you can watch them from home, and its in a quiet suburb of Philly. Philly is a fun city as well, great bars and clubs, T.O. and A.I.. I dont see why people bash it so much.

Oh it's in Philly, and quiet suburb may not be the exact terminology I'd use. I like Drexel, and still hope to hear good things from them, but their location is in Philadelphia, and some find it less than ideal. The campus itself is very nice though, and as others say, very high tech.

I had never even heard of Drexel, Meharry, Loma Linda, and many other medical schools until I started posting here. This is the first Drexel thread and the last I will ever respond to.

No point. Just trying to get my post count up to 4000 before I start residency in July and probably sign off for good.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw this thread was about Drexel, just wanted to know if they're still setting up interviews... I haven't heard anything from them yet. Thanks guys!

Panda Bear said:
I had never even heard of Drexel, Meharry, Loma Linda, and many other medical schools until I started posting here. This is the first Drexel thread and the last I will ever respond to.

No point. Just trying to get my post count up to 4000 before I start residency in July and probably sign off for good.

Yea you don't have to worry about other medical schools, all the best medical care comes straight out of Louisiana right?

ornis4 said:
Oh it's in Philly, and quiet suburb may not be the exact terminology I'd use. I like Drexel, and still hope to hear good things from them, but their location is in Philadelphia, and some find it less than ideal. The campus itself is very nice though, and as others say, very high tech.

Its not in downtown Philly....Drexel's main campus is in East Falls, which is a suburb of Philly, and East Falls is residential. The old MCP Hahnemann building(which is now used by Drexel grad programs) is in Central City Philly, as well as the main hospital used by Drexel Med.

I think Drexel's rep is on an upward climb. MCP Hahnemann did have financial troubles and was bought by Drexel U, so now the financial situation is stable. As far as the training hospital, they didn't "let it go," it actually closed because it was losing money, and Tenet, the healthcare company, owned it and decided to close it. Last I heard it was bought by doctors and was going to make a try at being a doctor-run hospital (which I've hard rarely works out). Anyway, Drexel does have a cool curriculum, being systems-based, and their facilities are nice. It's also very diverse, with lots of non-traditional students and ethnic/racial minorities. My husband goes there, and the reason I like the school as much as I do is because it has an overwhelmingly friendly attitude and feel. The students are nice to each other and not competitive, the faculty are really there to help students, and everybody just seems to care that people get along okay and get the most out of their education. Hopefully the reputation will improve in the next few years (which I do see happening). Especially since it's one of my top choices! :)

oh p.s. on the downside, it's one of the most expensive schools in the country :thumbdown:

I love drexel and really hope they accept me :)

davidthegnome said:

It's only "hated" on this board because everything likes to think of themselves as someone that should be attending a top 10 school. Bottom Line - we'll all be MDs in four years regardless of where you go. After residency, no one cares where you went to med school anyway. All a medical school does is teach basic sciences in the first 2 years. The second two years are spent primarily in hospitals doing rotations - so they are what you make of them. Every school in the US is more than capable of covering the sciences needed for a quality medical education.

Reactions: 1 user
tigress said:
Anyway, Drexel does have a cool curriculum, being systems-based, and their facilities are nice. It's also very diverse, with lots of non-traditional students and ethnic/racial minorities. My husband goes there, and the reason I like the school as much as I do is because it has an overwhelmingly friendly attitude and feel. The students are nice to each other and not competitive, the faculty are really there to help students, and everybody just seems to care that people get along okay and get the most out of their education. Hopefully the reputation will improve in the next few years (which I do see happening). Especially since it's one of my top choices! :)

oh p.s. on the downside, it's one of the most expensive schools in the country :thumbdown:

Im glad to hear some people feel the same way. (The curriculum is actually symptom based, which is what makes it so unique and clinically integrated)

Members don't see this ad :)
blue scrub... u might have to change ur signature... go Kentucky!

but a lot of people don't like Drexel cuz many people have high hopes when they apply there. I'm sure a lot of people have a disliking for Boston College. look how many people they reject! and Drexel is one of the few "I think i have a chance" private schools.

virilep said:
blue scrub... u might have to change ur signature...

i am soooooo pissed right now.... :mad: :mad:
not because they lost, but exactly because I just added that to my signature a few hours ago, now I have to change it again!!!!!! arrrggghhh!!!!

def bad luck....im never adding that to my signature again :(

People bash drexel because of its rankings and that they know NOTHING about the school except usnews rankings. Thats based so much on research at the school. Drexel has recently taken over the medical school and has done great things with it. Now its backed by a big university and they are building a big research building in a few years to come. However, education is first rate and has been stable with the same faculty that is there to teach and tutor and volunteer all their time to help students and thats rare for any school.

As for financial troubles, there was one hospital closing MCP...Hahnemann univ hospital is an amazing hospital to be a part of and that is doing just fine. The facilities are completely wireless throughout, all the lectures are recorded and put online, theres strong exposure to clinical setting in the first year with one of the first standardized patient centers in the country where u practice history taking and vital signs and more that prepares you well for clerkships.

We also have two great curriculum choices, where in the traditional one is integrated and you learn how all the subjects are related to each other, reinforcing what you learned. Makes sense to me. We also take beh science, and nutrition more than many schools which is on the boards too by the way.

People who go there love the school and education even if it wasnt there first choice to begin with and the students are very happy and completely supportive to each other. We are 10 min from center city and even have social chairs where after exams are over, we go out together and enjoy ourselves.

Drexel is on the rise and will have a better name in future years to come whether pre-meds on studentdoctor bash it or not is not something that matters when they dont know anything about the school or whats going on there. The match list gets more impressive each year and our board scores are impressive.

No matter what you should choose a school for your own reasons and where you feel you belong and where you will be happy.

davidthegnome said:

mainly its suck-ass reputation

drexel is lucky to get anyone who is actually willing to go there :thumbdown:

Drexel also decreased the size of its incoming med school class last year, im not sure why, maybe financial reasons, but who knows if they'll do it again....a lot of people in Drexel's post-bacc programs are pissed about it b/c it means less of a chance for them to be accepted

Blue Scrub said:
Drexel also decreased the size of its incoming med school class last year, im not sure why, maybe financial reasons, but who knows if they'll do it again....a lot of people in Drexel's post-bacc programs are pissed about it b/c it means less of a chance for them to be accepted
The decreased enrollment by 25 because with the closing of one of the teaching hospitals, they couldnt accomodate everyone for rotations.

they just dont do a good job of selling the school during the interview day; i absolutely hated it there and couldnt wait for the day to be over; the faculty interview was complete b.s and sucked. He's like whats a problem with managed care; and i told him straight up a few major problems. I left out a minor detail and he goes 'why didnt you think of that.' and he tried to mock my answer about 'what makes me special aside from my academic record.' If there was an audience tho he would have looked like such a tool in the end b.c he was trying to make me sweat and I didnt. Anyway, i think that this is an opinion jaded by the fact that i saw others schools just before that i was extremely impressed with.

Sucks when people go off reputation doesnt it....too bad the schools performance in residency placement, finances, research, and potential for growth should be more of a factor. Drexel '09 all the way.

Slippery Pete said:
mainly its suck-ass reputation

drexel is lucky to get anyone who is actually willing to go there :thumbdown:

Yeah, you're right. Ask the 16,000+ applicants who won't get in anywhere if they'd be willing to go to Drexel.

It's "suck-ass reputation". Man, I certainly hope you're one of the 16k on the losing end of the stick. If you aren't, and have actually gained admittance, then truly, truly, we have clear evidence that the interview process is flawed.

As for Drexel itself, I enjoyed my interview there, and thought the facilities (school and hospital) would have been great. I was fortunate enough to get an accept from Drex and a few other places that I enjoyed more (I'm a research dude) and in the end will go somewhere else. But, Drex was my first accept and I was ecstatic (sp?) not because I was "in somewhere", but because I was in somewhere I would have felt comfortable.

If you're looking to be a clinician, Drex would be a good place to be.

just curious; every school seems to say they have a good match; are there any non-state schools that have a crappy match? like nymc, rosalind, drex people always say have a good match; how to measure that and is this really true of these three schools?

09Doc said:
Yea you don't have to worry about other medical schools, all the best medical care comes straight out of Louisiana right?

What's your point? The OP said that Drexel was hated and I merely observed that I had never heard of Drexel, trying to make the point that whatever hate exists is confined to a small circle of people who have an interest, for whatever reason, in Drexel.

I also don't understand how anybody could "hate" a medical school. Did the school knock you down and take your lunch money? Did they molest your sister?

Don't knock LSU. (New Orleans and Shreveport) I am puzzled why you would think that good medical care doesn't come out of Louisiana. I did better than average on Step 1 and Step 2 so presumably I am as well trained as at least half of the medical students in the country.

In my opinion, anyone who hates a school and bashes it is only doing that because of a few, but not limited to, reasons.
1. rejection
2. poor interview (they think they did bad, so they blame the interviewer)
3. heard it through SDN (remember, people here are "PRE-Allopathic")
4. consider all schools bad, except for one at a top 10 list
5. bitter
6. bored

This is precisely the same people who are the same competitive, cut-throat, pre-meds we all faced with in our undergraduate years. Once in medical school, it's about professionalism and working with your collegues. Debt is debt. The cost of a school is one of the variables into considering a school, but also remember that you will still be in debt regardless. Paying back $200,000 or $150,000 in the long run amounts to about a difference of $11-$15 per month (assuming a 20yr/current fixed rate). Also remember that educational loans are tax deductible.

I recommend looking closely at the curriculum of the schools, location, average Step 1 board scores, and overall "feel" of the school. The average board score nationally is about 210. (Drexel = 225, SUNY = 209) Once in medical school, you will find your peers from a variety of undergraduate schools. Although important, be aware to carefully select a school not only on its national research reputation (US News), but also ask questions to current students and teaching staff. Admissions staff are swamped this time of year and probably aren't the best resource to ask questions about the curriculum of a school. Try contacting a faculty member or current student via email. The day you spend on interview day is not enough to see what the next 4 years of your life will be like. Recognize the biases of pre-med students on this network and hopefully make your own decision.

Hope this helps.

I don't know why people brush of the closing of MCP hospital as not a big deal. It's true Hahneman hosp is pretty good but MCP was a big hospital. THe med students and residency programs both suffered big time due to the closing. Med students used to have two big academic hospitals to rotate through...now there is only one. Many students as a result are forced to go to the middle of no where to do rotations. Residents which used to rotate through two hospitals are all at one now. Last time I checked drexel still admits huge classes (200 plus I think). Don't you think they should decrease admissions if they close one of their biggest hospitals? Go to Drexel if it's the only one you get into but you should definately consider the other philly programs first.

What makes you think "everyone" hates Drexel Everyone has their own preferences but I don't think there's a hate war on Drexel. Personally I like it.

The word "hate" is being misused in this whole thread...I dont think any normal person would "hate" a school after seeing it for one day....if anything they are just "unimpressed" or "disliked" the school or its program....how can anyone "hate" the school if they dont go there? That word should only be used by students currently attending or have graduated from that school....you premeds cant use that word, get it right

volvulus said:
I don't know why people brush of the closing of MCP hospital as not a big deal. It's true Hahneman hosp is pretty good but MCP was a big hospital. THe med students and residency programs both suffered big time due to the closing. Med students used to have two big academic hospitals to rotate through...now there is only one. Many students as a result are forced to go to the middle of no where to do rotations. Residents which used to rotate through two hospitals are all at one now. Last time I checked drexel still admits huge classes (200 plus I think). Don't you think they should decrease admissions if they close one of their biggest hospitals? Go to Drexel if it's the only one you get into but you should definately consider the other philly programs first.

Your perception of the 'closing' of MCP' is quite flawed. First of all, the hospital is still open. Because of the manner in which Tenet closed the hospital, the census was quite low and some equipment was stripped. However, the students at Drexel are not using it at the moment not because of the lack of a site, but because the number of patients is too low. Once the site becomes educationally beneficial again, Drexel has the option of using it as a site. Also, when the press release came out Temple was asked to be the education partner. So in case you are confused, both Drexel and Temple have the option of using the site in the future.

You also seem to criticize some of the 'away' sites that are in the middle of nowhere. While admittedly there are some sites that are rural, there are also sites that are suburban and urban. I think that leaves the option for students to train at a variety of sites that suit them. Additionally, I'm sure you'll agree that sharing a 'rural' site, York, PA, with Penn Med students really isn't that bad. Drexel also shares some sites that UMDNJ-NJMS use, and Drexel took over St. Peter's University Hospital, which is pretty much on the campus of UMDNJ-RWJ.

You can critique the benefits/problems with away sites, but don't think for a second that there are not enough sites for the students to rotate through. I somehow doubt that you have access to the feedback that all students must do when they finish an exam/clerkship, and therefore your insight into the quality of education that MCP had offered is quite meritless.

If you would like to discuss the effect this had on the residencies, I'll be glad to offer my 2 cents. But, you should understand that most residencies that Drexel offers utilizes more than just Hahnemann University Hospital.

As a third year Drexel med student, I thought I'd give a first hand account of what actually goes on to put to rest any he said/she said, I heard it from my best friend's grandma's third aunt type of crap, or i have a big penis and can't settle for a school that's ranked higher than the number of inches of my erect johnson...

Anyhow... Drexel is actually a good school contrary to popular belief. I would be willing to say that the curriculum in the first two years is as good as any other med school in the country. The professors that teach actually care about teaching and the curriculum is very up-to-date. All the tests are multiple choice which will be an advantage when it comes to boards. Many of the professors do no research which means they can devote 100% of their time to teaching and modifying the curriculum as needed. They're all very approachable and the administration requires student input/evaluation of all the lectures in each block prior to releasing exam grades. And..... the professors actually make REAL changes based on student input.

The student body gets along extremely well... The atmosphere is relaxed, relatively non-competitive, and people share their own notes with the entire class.

With respect to board scores, for being unofficially ranked at the bottom of the heap of med schools by the SDN ranketeers, we score at the national average on Step 1 which means about half of the other schools must rank below us if we assume a Gaussian distribution. I didn't use any other materials or review books to study for step 1 other than Kaplan Q-bank and my CLASS NOTES and I (and many of my friends) scored very well on step 1. So well, in fact, that many of you would give up your left nut/ovary for the same score. Point is... the classes are right on in terms of step 1 prep and you won't feel lost and too overwhelmed when year 2 ends and step 1 studying begins.

As far as clinical rotations are concerned, there is a wide variety of hospitals/clinical experiences that are available to you. For example, if you do a medicine rotation at Hahnemann in downtown Philly, you'll see a ton of HIV patients and super complicated patients with 10-15 medical problems whereas, you can do another part of your medicine rotation in more rural areas where you'll encounter more "bread and butter" cases... So... overall, you get a good mix of clinical experiences. All of the rotations outside of philly will provide FREE housing and food (the amount of food comp varies) which means you can take out less money for loans if you do most of your rotations outside of philly.

As far as the financial stability is concerned, the bankrupcy was in 1998 which means some of you males probably didn't have pubic hair when this occurred.. in other words, this was awhile ago... The school is doing very well now that it has merged w/ Drexel almost 3 years ago and Drexel is a highly reputable engineering school which means tons of research/partnering opportunities. As far as MCP Hospital closing, it was losing ~6 million dollars a month and Tenet who owned the hospital decided to close it. We still have like ~15-20 other hospitals that we rotate through so it's not a big deal... For those of you don't know who Tenet is, it is a large healthcare corporation who in fact, operates hospitals at USC and other reputable academic hospitals/affiliates.

As far as residency is concerned, if you do well, you will go where you want to... For example, a large portion of our class is from California and apparently according to our dean, every student who wanted to match in cali for residency matched. If you want to see how students do, look at the school website under "admissions" and click "why drexel." I think the matchlist speaks for itself with many of our students going onto topnotch programs throughout the US.

In terms of the not so good things about Drexel... it's in philly and if you're from california or florida or new york city, it will be a letdown. it's a private school so it's expensive but what private med school isn't. And last but not least, we do rank at the bottom of the heap of allopathic med schools by the SDN ranketeers. I remember one post-er so eloquently claimed that we were "barely allopathic."

There's many other things i could mention like the dual pre-clinical curricula (ifm/pil), the wireless technology/all lectures recorded and available online, etc etc but i don't have time to mention it all... In short, choose your med school wisely based on cost, family support, feel you get when you interview and from first hand drexel student experiences. Don't rely solely on the US news/SDN rankings. All US med schools are top notch and will enable you to achieve your goals as long as you give a damn during school and work hard.

Panda Bear said:
What's your point? The OP said that Drexel was hated and I merely observed that I had never heard of Drexel, trying to make the point that whatever hate exists is confined to a small circle of people who have an interest, for whatever reason, in Drexel.

My point was that you were baisically saying in your post that you have no input on this thread, and just wanted to announce that you are ignorant to other medical establishments! you also continue to sound like you really dont give a ****. If you are going to become a doctor, you are going to have to work with the "small circle of people" that were interested in Drexel, Loma Linda and others.

Panda Bear said:
I also don't understand how anybody could "hate" a medical school. Did the school knock you down and take your lunch money? Did they molest your sister?

If you look through this thread, you will see that I dont hate Drexel, in fact I am extremely interested in Drexel, and am most likely will be going there.

Panda Bear said:
Don't knock LSU. (New Orleans and Shreveport) I am puzzled why you would think that good medical care doesn't come out of Louisiana. I did better than average on Step 1 and Step 2 so presumably I am as well trained as at least half of the medical students in the country.

I never knocked LSU. I know exceptional medcal care comes from LSU and Tulane. I was just reffering more to your apathy towards knowing anything about, of even just discussing "many other medical schools across the country". It seems odd that you would be becoming a doctor, not knowing and not caring about all these medical centers. Despite the good schools there, it isnt exactly a medical mecca where everything revolves around Louisiana thats all.

they just did such a poor job during the interview day; it's just so important that the interview day be good and a student feel welcome; at some schools the students will be so nice and introduce themselves randomly and ask if you have any questions etc.. at schools like nymc and drexel the students didnt even care, that speaks measures about the students in my opinion. im surprised some schools just suck at the interview day.

09Doc said:
My point was that you were baisically saying in your post that you have no input on this thread, and just wanted to announce that you are ignorant to other medical establishments! you also continue to sound like you really dont give a ****. If you are going to become a doctor, you are going to have to work with the "small circle of people" that were interested in Drexel, Loma Linda and others.

If you look through this thread, you will see that I dont hate Drexel, in fact I am extremely interested in Drexel, and am most likely will be going there.

I never knocked LSU. I know exceptional medcal care comes from LSU and Tulane. I was just reffering more to your apathy towards knowing anything about, of even just discussing "many other medical schools across the country". It seems odd that you would be becoming a doctor, not knowing and not caring about all these medical centers. Despite the good schools there, it isnt exactly a medical mecca where everything revolves around Louisiana thats all.

Why does it bother you that I don't care about a small medical school in Yankeeland? And I am not knocking Drexel. I bet Drexel students don't care about or have never heard of LSU Shreveport. This bothers me not at all.

By the way, if you need medical treatment in North Louisiana, East Texas, or Southern Arkansas LSU SHreveport is a medical Mecca. Let's just say it's a "Regional Mecca."

My larger point is that many on SDN get incredibly worked up over US News Rankings, prestige, and other parameters of medical schools almost to the point of obssesion. Once you settle for a school and matriculate these distinctions will become meaningless. Trust me.

I propose that the moderators add the phrase "top ranked" to the list of words which are "starred" out. As in, "I am a pre-med looking to go to a ***-****** medical school."

Blue Scrub said:
Its not in downtown Philly....Drexel's main campus is in East Falls, which is a suburb of Philly, and East Falls is residential. The old MCP Hahnemann building(which is now used by Drexel grad programs) is in Central City Philly, as well as the main hospital used by Drexel Med.

east falls is not a suburb of philadelphia. east falls is a neighborhood in philadelphia proper.

Thanks for clearing that up Aingeal! So you still think its not in a suburban-type area of Philadelphia? Have you ever been there? I rest my case.

Dude, you people make me sick... I hate to pull rank, but it's entirely necessary in this situation. WIth the exception of a couple people on this post, almost NONE of you know what you're talking about. I've read misperceptions on virtually everything here, ranging from the long-forgotten near bankruptcy 1998, to the neighborhoods, to the "sucks ass" reputation. Clearly, most of you guys apparently aren't mature enough for medical school. If you were, you'd realize that there are much more important issues in life than what's going on in this thread... I understand your choice of medical school is important to you, but you'll come to realize in medical school while looking at residency programs that what's more important is the "fit" for you... Getting into a good residency is more about what YOU put into your medical education than where you went to medical school. Realize this, and drop the petty nature of this thread.... PLEASE, 'CUZ I'M GONNA BE SICK!!!

Blue Scrub- East Falls, while technically in philadelphia proper, is in a more suburban area. If you could see me now, my jaw just dropped because I'm amazed at your insightful observation. It's people like you that we really need at our school. Do you have any friends? FYI, there's virtually no reason to stay in east falls after second year, and many of the students move downtown. Actually, there are even a decent number of 1st/2nd years that live downtown anyway.

Volvulus- Please see albinomidget's post to you for the proper smack down. I agree with this 100%. PLENTY of teaching hospitals, both in and outside of PHilly are at Drexel, and there is no suffering in clinical experience. If you'd done your research, you'd realize that Drexel actually is pre-emptively planning on cutting class size, even though it's not absolutely necessary.

Haybrant- Sorry you had a bad interview day. As far as statistics for the match, these would be pointless. Most people pick programs based not only on the program's reputation, but also where they think they feel they fit in and get good clinical training. Not to mention many more medical school grads have "confounding factors" influencing their residency program choices... ie. family, significant other, desire to be in a certain location and/or to exclude others...

Slippery Pete- Did you spend all night coming up with that? Suck-ass reputation. Ah yes, it's pieces-of-work like you that make me second guess why I ever went into medicine. Don't get me wrong... I love medicine, but we have proportionally more self centered, obnoxious, ego-driven peers than any other job... People, get over yourselves. You're not a better human being because you're doctor. BTW, Slippery Pete, you're not even in med school... you can't be that pompous yet. I'm having a premonition that once in med school you'll be scutted a lot of rectal exams by your residents... that's the type of person you are. Good luck.

A fine post to be sure.

Though a relatively new poster, I've been reading SDN for a while now. The issue that irks me like no other is the mass of prospective med students who feel they have any right at all to bad-mouth or trash any of the medical schools in this country. Luckily, the pre-med students I've met personally have never exhibited the stereotypical arrogance and inflated ego associated with these students. It bothers me to know that this stereotype is partially true when reading some of these posts.

If nothing else, I encourage many of you posters to get over yourself. The absence of humility is a scary thing, and discussing things you know very little about will come back and haunt you.

By the way, I am applying to drexel, and very much hope to go there.

That was a job well done Daveshnave. Good luck on the match!

Panda Bear, as a Drexel med student I am not bothered by you not knowing Drexel. When you applied to medical school it was known as MCP Hahnemann, and was operated by Drexel. In July of 2002 it officially became known as Drexel University College of Medicine. It is currently the LARGEST private medical school (and yes, it is in Yankeeland.) In case you may believe it is small in stature, it was in the news a few years ago when it was 1 of 5 sites (now they have done 15) chosen to study the AvioCor fully implantable artificial heart. In addition, Drexel will be one of a few medical schools in a 2006 PBS documentary on innovation in medical education. Again, no offense taken. I'm just setting the record straight.

VPDcurt said:
It's only "hated" on this board because everything likes to think of themselves as someone that should be attending a top 10 school. Bottom Line - we'll all be MDs in four years regardless of where you go. After residency, no one cares where you went to med school anyway. All a medical school does is teach basic sciences in the first 2 years. The second two years are spent primarily in hospitals doing rotations - so they are what you make of them. Every school in the US is more than capable of covering the sciences needed for a quality medical education.

There is some justification for taking rankings into account when it comes to research. Not all schools receive the same amount of NIH funding, so if you want to work on something really cutting edge, you really are better off at a 'better' school. I agree that almost every school, regardless of ranking, can teach you the same material in class, though, and that's fantastic.

Is Drexel running behind? I interviewed on Jan 8 and still haven't heard.

daveshnave said:
Don't get me wrong... I love medicine, but we have proportionally more self centered, obnoxious, ego-driven peers than any other job...

I don't know about that. Check out the boards at www.vault.com. Especially the law, investment banking, and consulting forums. I have never seen such a greedy group so entirely enamoured in the worship of money, power, prestige, and rank, as these guys. There are a decent number of posts here at studentdoctor from people who are clearly interested in what they do, but over there- it's ONLY about the benjamins.

The beautiful thing about medical school admissions is that it self selects for success at the very beginning by limiting entry to the profession at the M1 year. In business and law, people claw their way up the ladder their whole careers and can never be totally secure that their job will exist tomorrow. As doctors, and future doctors, we are incredibly lucky- and sometimes forget that fact.

VPDcurt said:

I think they might be. I also interviewed on the 8th and haven't heard a word. Although, I thought I saw someone on SDN who interviewed at the same time say they got a waitlist or something. Oh well...best of luck...Drexel is an awesome school - I really hope I get in.

VPDcurt said:

You're not the only one. It's been over 7 weeks but hopefully we'll hear some good news soon.

i've heard drex interviews for a long time... like thru april. (since they have such a big class perhaps) so you in pergatory probably have more leeway in terms of waiting, painful waiting.

daveshnave said:
Blue Scrub- East Falls, while technically in philadelphia proper, is in a more suburban area. If you could see me now, my jaw just dropped because I'm amazed at your insightful observation. It's people like you that we really need at our school. Do you have any friends? FYI, there's virtually no reason to stay in east falls after second year, and many of the students move downtown. Actually, there are even a decent number of 1st/2nd years that live downtown anyway.

Hey idiot, dont ever insult someone when you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Did you just read my last post and assume that I had no idea what I was talking about? Why dont you try reading my other previous posts in this thread before you say something stupid. I did research for Drexel Med, and I attended medical school classes as a graduate student there as well, so I know what kind of area Drexel is in. This was between me and Aingeal, who didnt believe me that Drexel was in a suburban-type area. But of course you would know that because you read my last post and caught on to my "sarcastic" tone. Its people like you that make me wonder how you ever cheated your way to becoming a 4th year. Read all the posts first before you insult me or anyone else, smart guy. Why dont you address your little rant to Aingeal. I have friends at Drexel Med, and I dont even go there anymore. You're supposedly a 4th year at Drexel if you're not lying, but I seriously doubt you have any friends there. I really loathe people who diss and insult others when they havent done their homework first.

daveshnave said:

yep...NJMS classmate=friend..so i guess that makes at least 170. :thumbup:

drguy22 said:
yep...NJMS classmate=friend..so i guess that makes at least 170. :thumbup:

haha, thanks DrGuy! Right on! :cool:

Blue Scrub said:
Philly is a fun city as well, great bars and clubs, T.O. and A.I.. I dont see why people bash it so much.

Everyone from Tampa HATES Philly. The Flyers, the Eagles...even the Phillies and 76ers can go to h%ll.

Biscuit799 said:
Everyone from Tampa HATES Philly. The Flyers, the Eagles...even the Phillies and 76ers can go to h%ll.

OK thanks :thumbup: