Why is Northwestern so slow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

Nikki

Am I the only one that turned their secondary application in to Northwestern 2 months ago and my status on their internet site hasn't changed? Plus, I haven't heard anything from them yet. Why are they taking so long?

How long did it take those of you that have interviewed with NU to hear something back from the school? I think I turned my secondary in Sept 21.

Members don't see this ad.

i sent in my secondary at the end of august (i think my due date was like sept 5) and i have heard nothing. when i call, they say they have my stuff, but that i should "check back in a few weeks." I am an undergrad at nwu, and i know just a very few people who have gotten interviews. i have no idea what's wrong with them.

Same here guys. Turned mine in 9/17. Only recently, like this week, did the status page actually work for me. But even now, it only has my name. No dates for any of the fields. I have heard of only a few people (pretty much from SDN) that have actually gotten an interview. I wouldn't worry too much. Everythings slow this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard about an interview two days ago and my application was "complete" on 09/04. sounds like a long long time ago...

I think that they are just back logged with apps. Remember, they had big batches of secondaries (saw this w/ my own eyes) and no verified apps from AMCAS earlier on in the cycle. Recently, when AMCAS got their sh** somewhat together, I'm sure they sent tons of the early apps to NUMS. It's probably nothing short of chaos in their offices now. Good luck to all of you that applied.

I agree the process is slow, but Northwestern is EXTREMELY SLOW even relative to this year's application process.

Almost every other med school that I'm aware of is WAY AHEAD of Northwestern in their application process. I dont know what they're doing over there, but they must not be doing it right.

Every school is backlogged with apps due to AMCAS, so its not just Northwestern dealing with this issue. They just havent dealt with it as well as the other schools have in my opinion.

Im glad to see this thread, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one they forgot about. When I go to their online status check I am told that reciept of my materials can not be verified at this time, and they apologize for any "CONVENIENCE" this may cause me. I know it's just an innocent typing mistake, but you'd think that someone would proofread what they tell applicants. I get a good chuckle every time I log on, the work convenience doesnt even belong ANYWHERE near anything related to the med school app process this year!!!!
I hope we all hear back from them soon....

I submitted my 2ndary August 27 (in person), and got an interview invite October 2 for an interview on Oct. 30. But when I was interviewing, the asst dean told us how backed up they were, and she said that although they normally have their first 'inform' date in mid-December, this year we shouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything until the Feb or March 'inform' dates.

Initially, I thought they might be just holding my app for review later (turned in 9/7)...when I called they said the app was still under review. Yeah, I guess they are just relatively slow.

Same here. Secondary left my mailbox on 09/13. My check has yet to be cashed. I checked the status page and all it says is that my status cannot be verified via electronic mean. Oh well!

What is the web address for the status page? Thanks.

<a href="https://med-app2001.northwestern.edu/instructions.cfm" target="_blank">https://med-app2001.northwestern.edu/instructions.cfm</a>

Originally posted by kmy:
•Im glad to see this thread, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one they forgot about. When I go to their online status check I am told that reciept of my materials can not be verified at this time, and they apologize for any "CONVENIENCE" this may cause me.•••

Doh! But my bad too. I've seen the same message at least a dozen times over the psat few weeks, and I never noticed the typo! Funny as heck though!

I just called NU today about my app. They told me they finally have my app, but it'll be 8 weeks before I hear anything. I sent in my supplementary on September 10!

You know what really pisses me off? Every time I called them about my app status, they told me to call again in a couple of weeks. Finally, in mid November, they told me that they should have gotten my Sept 10 app by then, so they must have lost it in the mail!

So then I printed up another copy of my AMCAS and my supplementary, wrote another check, and drove down there to hand it in in person. Now I think they put me at the end of the line again.

I think it's unfair that I'm being put at the end of the line because they lost my first app. Well, hopefully within the next 8 weeks, I'll have an acceptance at a better school so I can tell them to forget it.

Don't you wish schools would read what we say about them on these forums and get on the ball. I think Northwestern gets the Slower Than AMCAS award for the year.

Everyone here should remember that NW only interviews like 4-5% of out of state applicants, so don't be discouraged if you haven't heard from them yet!

according to the MSAR book, NU interviewed only 17% instate applicants (111 out of 660) for the 2000-2001 entering class. They don't have that strong of ties to the state of IL.