Why is NOVA rejecting people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDftw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is NOVA rejecting a lot of people who are qualified? Reading pre-dents and I am so confused...they have amazing stats!

People have like 5 interviews and a rejection from NOVA. What is NOVA really looking for?

Members don't see this ad.

It's called the new school complex. Since they don't have the tradition or prestige of an older, well-established school that has confidence in selecting candidates with average but solid stats, Nova's way of overcoming their insecurities of trying to catch up and compete with the big boys is to accept students with super high stats. Don't you think it's a bit strange how their stats are much higher than other newer schools?

I guess they are trying to compete with Harvard lol

Members don't see this ad :)
They get like 4,000 applications, a lot of them highly qualified; that alone increases the sheer number of rejections.

It's called the new school complex. Since they don't have the tradition or prestige of an older, well-established school that has confidence in selecting candidates with average but solid stats, Nova's way of overcoming their insecurities of trying to catch up and compete with the big boys is to accept students with super high stats. Don't you think it's a bit strange how their stats are much higher than other newer schools?

Ehh...I beg to differ. I don't have stellar stats, but I have no idea how I got an interview there. Have about a 3.6 GPA and 19AA.

They get like 4,000 applications, a lot of them highly qualified; that alone increases the sheer number of rejections.

+1

Its just happens that they have a huge applicant pool, so if they find anything they dont like on an app (other than stats) they can easily dismiss it without worrying about a lack of good applicants.

Well, according to the spread sheet that doc made from the ADEA guide, NOVA's last year's acceptance gpa was about 3.7/3.65 (ogpa, sgpa). It makes complete sense to me to see that the average "rejected applicants" of this current year is 3.4/3.31 and the "interviewed applicants" is about 3.7/3.67. The stats alone could explain their decisions.

Everyone shouldn't be instantly enamored of them anyway. Their location and clinical strength is definitely questionable. There are more established programs...

Ehh...I beg to differ. I don't have stellar stats, but I have no idea how I got an interview there. Have about a 3.6 GPA and 19AA.

:thumbup: I agree with you.

I just had my interview, and my stats are barely above average.

I believe that they take preference to those with high Biology DAT scores, and a solid background in biology.

It's a great school; they don't seem overly obsessed with stats...but, I have no idea why some people receive rejections. Personal statement?

Just because they accept a bunch of high GPA/DAT applicants doesn't mean they're going to fill up their class with those types. Fact of the matter is most people with high GPA/DAT are probably getting accepted to better programs and thus their Nova acceptances will become an after thought.

I believe Temple tried something similar last year. They got a new dean and his immediate mission was to make Temple one of the premier dental schools. Supposedly, he mandated to the Adcom that only 21+ DAT scorers were to be interviewed. However, as the cycle progressed with not enough matriculants, they reverted back to interviewing 19-20 DATers to fill up their class. A prime example of a poor man pretending to be a high roller lol... In the end, he's still broke.

I believe Temple tried something similar last year. They got a new dean and his immediate mission was to make Temple one of the premier dental schools. Supposedly, he mandated to the Adcom that only 21+ DAT scorers were to be interviewed. However, as the cycle progressed with not enough matriculants, they reverted back to interviewing 19-20 DATers to fill up their class. A prime example of a poor man pretending to be a high roller lol.

I was just looking on predents and Temple has already started handing out rejections this cycle. So I guess they didn't abandon that tactic :(

I was just looking on predents and Temple has already started handing out rejections this cycle. So I guess they didn't abandon that tactic :(

but then who again who said theyre only accepting only stnds with high stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really think the way they pick varies.. but i definitely could be wrong.

I got an 18 on bio so not too high and got an interview. My Dat was a 21 so not out of this world or anything.

I hear nova has a lot of strength in its clinical aspect? But im not sure...Do you guys know?

and also compared to uop, which do you think has more strength

I really think the way they pick varies.. but i definitely could be wrong.

I got an 18 on bio so not too high and got an interview. My Dat was a 21 so not out of this world or anything.

I hear nova has a lot of strength in its clinical aspect? But im not sure...Do you guys know?

and also compared to uop, which do you think has more strength
uop...by far. There are quite a bit of issues with nova..look it up

I know UNLV has handed out quite of few rejections as well... Guess they fit into the same category?

"We're in Las Vegas, enough said" type of deal maybe?

I got rejected from UNLV long time ago. Somehow i feel good lol. This school is too expensive for an out-state like me :)

Having practiced in South Florida for several years now the word around the area is that Nova is not highly respected. Not to say that the quality of their students is poor but seems that their clinical skills are not up to par. I have yet to hear anything positive. This seems to be the general concensus.. Stick with a school with a solid, longstanding reputation. I have no direct opinion as I have never worked with a Nova grad.

The only thing I heard about NOVA is that their patient disappointment rate is really high. They have problems finding and keeping patients in their clinics for treatment. I don't know if anyone could confirm or deny that, though.

Sort of off-topic, but related to Nova.

I've wanted to apply to Nova when I first applied to my schools (6/2 AADSAS) but saw that they don't take that many OOS so I decided not to apply.

3 months later, I'm thinking about adding Nova. Is it even worth it at this point? I mean, seems like they are rejecting people left and right, and my scores are by FAR close to their average (3.7GPA, vs Harvard's 3.7 GPA? OK then Nova...) it's probably not worth it right... any opinions?

Trust me, you wouldn't want to go to NOVA anyway.

wasnt that the common problem of nova? tons of applicants and few acceptances? plus i heard other problems with the school. i chose to avoid that school and its application process for these reasons. good luck to all those that are waiting.