Why is pharmacy a bad career choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdeka

Female
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read on these threads that pharmacy school is not a good career choice? I have friends that entered pharm school after 2 years of undergrad and now make 100+k a year? How is it a bad choice? I'm thinking of switching from premed..

Members don't see this ad.

You can google or look on this forum for the reasons. All I will say is that you better work in a pharmacy before applying to pharmacy school. Ask a bunch of pharmacists if they would send their kids to pharmacy school right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, it is a great choice if you plan on spending a major chunk of the "100k annual salary" on debt repayment, if you are lucky enough to be given that opportunity. If you also like working without much tech help and sucking up to your hiring RxM with the power to hire someone else in an abnormally large pool of applicants, it is a wonderful career choice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
wow threads like these pop out every week in the pharmacy forum don't they.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it is a great choice if you plan on spending a major chunk of the "100k annual salary" on debt repayment, if you are lucky enough to be given that opportunity. If you also like working without much tech help and sucking up to your hiring RxM with the power to hire someone else in an abnormally large pool of applicants, it is a wonderful career choice.

Everyone on this forum always talks about pharmacy being awful because even though you will have an above average salary you will spend it all paying off loans, but what if we won't have any loans to pay off once were done with pharmacy school, and assuming we have built connections and will have a job after graduation, then do you all still think it's so awful?

I dont see anything bad in the desire to be a pharmacist! better to be pharmacist than to declare that it is a bad career choice, quit college and work min wage jobs for the rest of your life. Anybody with the passion for the chosen profession and hard working will find a job!

Reactions: 5 users
Out of that $100k salary, $30-40k goes to taxes. Another $25-30k goes to student loan payments for the next 10-15 years, during which pharmacist salaries are likely to drop due to the saturation as more schools continue to open each year. You might as well major in computer science, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that does not require you to take out an additional $200k+ in student loans and spend an additional 4 years in school.

Your $100k salary goes nowhere as far as you think when you have $200k+ loans to pay off.

I won't lie, pharmacy sucks. I'm aware that it sucks. I've worked in one for many years. It didn't always suck. It just progressively went in that direction over the years. Only thing is when people ask for alternatives to pharmacy on this forum, people tell you things like engineering and programming. And the way the engineers that are close to me are struggling, I'm glad I didn't become that either. Programming isn't for everyone. Med school is something I simply want no part of, especially at this point. I'm still planning on going to pharmacy school and I'm hoping for the best.

Out of that $100k salary, $30-40k goes to taxes. Another $25-30k goes to student loan payments for the next 10-15 years, during which pharmacist salaries are likely to drop due to the saturation as more schools continue to open each year. You might as well major in computer science, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that does not require you to take out an additional $200k+ in student loans and spend an additional 4 years in school.

Your $100k salary goes nowhere as far as you think when you have $200k+ loans to pay off.

But what if one has no loans? Is it so awful then?

I think you will be highly disappointed if you have never worked in the pharmacy. There is high stress and not enough help at all.

Reactions: 1 users

it is definitely possible to do well as a pharmacist, but most people end up floating around in different pharmacies.
it really depends on how lucky you are, but in the end of the day why go through 4 years of schooling for a career with an unsure future?
there are many other doctorates (dentistry, veterinanians, some medical specialties) that have much better salaries and lifestyles than even the most successful pharmacists
this is because other doctorates are hard to get into.... which is why pharmacy has become this way today.

with no loans you still likely have to work night shifts, odd hours, multiple different pharmacies, and in the end you are easily replaced with the thousands of other pharmacists looking for jobs, there is no job security.

It won't be awful however you have to enjoy working in a pharmacy for it to be worth it. Especially in retail, you cannot just go in for the money; you have to inherently want to do pharmacy. Add on the fact that you are going to have to bust your ass and sacrifice a lot if you want to have a real shot at getting a job in this saturated field.

I won't lie, pharmacy sucks. I'm aware that it sucks. I've worked in one for many years. It didn't always suck. It just progressively went in that direction over the years. Only thing is when people ask for alternatives to pharmacy on this forum, people tell you things like engineering and programming. And the way the engineers that are close to me are struggling, I'm glad I didn't become that either. Programming isn't for everyone. Med school is something I simply want no part of, especially at this point. I'm still planning on going to pharmacy school and I'm hoping for the best.

I tend to agree with this. How many "student doctor" network users, mostly pre-health kids, will really pursue those careers? If anything, i'd list other alternative health careers as options every time this topic comes up. That's probably more productive than listing these non-health careers.

Members don't see this ad :)

A general accountant, after their 4 year degree, will not make a PharmD salary.
They have to continue taking classes + get work experience to get their CPA, and once designated they make 65k-70k. After all of this, you have to accumulate more experience to get to the 100k mark. It's a great field in the sense that you don't take out much loans and you should hit 6 figures relatively easily, but none of this will happen right after undergrad.

It won't be awful however you have to enjoy working in a pharmacy for it to be worth it. Especially in retail, you cannot just go in for the money; you have to inherently want to do pharmacy. Add on the fact that you are going to have to bust your ass and sacrifice a lot if you want to have a real shot at getting a job in this saturated field.

if someone is actually able to land a clinical pharmacy job, does all the negative talks about pharmacy not apply anymore? is clinical overall positive?

At least in medicine and programing there is critical thinking and problem solving.

Pharmacy is mostly just data review and verification. And God forbid you actually help someone out by spending more than 20 seconds with them, you will only find yourself backed up 20 scripts with 3 lines on hold.

Chains only care about the numbers and they claim to care about "customer service" meaning getting scripts out fast and enduring abuse from the customers.

$100k salary does not get you into the 30-40% tax bracket lol. Also, you dont need to pay $200k+ for pharmacy school. There are plenty of good schools that cost under $100k. You are exaggerating quite a bit here.

At least in medicine and programing there is critical thinking and problem solving.

Pharmacy is mostly just data review and verification. And God forbid you actually help someone out by spending more than 20 seconds with them, you will only find yourself backed up 20 scripts with 3 lines on hold.

Chains only care about the numbers and they claim to care about "customer service" meaning getting scripts out fast and enduring abuse from the customers.

Depends where you work. There are bad places to work in every profession. Ive worked in chain where number of scripts don't matter since they use central fill and the majority of scripts were already verified offsite.

$100k salary does not get you into the 30-40% tax bracket lol. Also, you dont need to pay $200k+ for pharmacy school. There are plenty of good schools that cost under $100k. You are exaggerating quite a bit here.

It likely does if he's including state taxes. And the only good schools that I know of with a tuition < 100k over 4 years are for in-state public colleges, which I wouldn't qualify as "plenty" since there's only 1-2 per student.

If you think in terms of effort versus result, the low barriers to entry to pharmacy school have allowed a lot of mediocre people with weak motivations to become pharmacists who don't give a crap about being a cog in a machine, and in retail, you can do the bare minimum in retail or bust your hump, it doesn't even matter because you are just a commodity. The least desired outcome, chain retail, is the most typical outcome.

If you want to do non-distribution (including clinical), it seems to be getting to the point where attaining a highly desired outcome (not just doing a PGY-1 or PGY-2 just to end up doing staffing) is approaching the difficulty of getting into a U.S. allopathic med school. So think hard about why you want to incur at least 100k or more in debt to go into pharmacy.

Again with the doom and gloom.

If you have a passion for pharmacy and its what you want to do then go for it. If not, choose something else. Is it a horrible career as people are making it out to be? NO lol.

Im almost done with my P1 year and I work in a pharmacy on the weekends as an intern. For the most part, I enjoy it. Like any other job though, it has its ups and downs and thats just a part of life. I remember my first two weeks at work, a lady cursed me out because I told her her prescriptions would take 45 minutes to fill because we are very busy. I had a stop myself from dying with laughter and it took a bit of effort to keep a straight face. People in retail are hilarious, especially the people trying to pick up their CII prescriptions.

"When is my PERC gonna be ready?" is quite frequent. My pharmacy manager is a relatively young guy, lives on the beach, goes on vacation a lot, and seems to be really enjoying life. He is teaching me, there are two types of pharmacist, the ones who are always stressed out and let the pharmacy run them or the other pharmacist who have a calm about them and they don't let the pharmacy stress them out.

When I interviewed with the district manager, she told me, "Listen, stress is self induced state of mind".

As far as income, people here cry too much (no offense to anybody). Pharmacist make pretty decent salary, even after the taxes. And if you are careful about how you spend your money and make sure you save, some money every paycheck, you'll be fine.

Since I started Pharm School, I see so many new graduates getting jobs. The jobs are tight and it does help to know people, but if you REALLY want a job, you WILL get a decent paying job somewhere. A guy who use to intern in my same store, back when I was still applying to pharmacy school has his own store as an Assistant Manager now. I also have a new assistant manager at my store who just graduated from my school not even a year ago and she's doing fine. My buddy from class, he's an intern at CVS and his two pharmacy managers are new grads from our school. The people that do well with finding jobs generally seem to be the people who interned and worked all through pharmacy school, and built connections with people and learned all they could about the company have the best chances at finding jobs after school. Another pharmacy manager I worked with the other day in another store, told me he just transferred from CVS to work for PUBLIX (also a new grad) and he says the district he left was hungry for new pharmacist, because a lot of people were transferring out.

My point is: If you put that energy out there. You work for it. You learn as much as you can. Impress the right people and be positive, you will find a damn job.

There are things I don't care for though. I don't like when people come to pick up medication and want to have a whole bag of groceries checked out at the pharmacy. The constant ringing of the phone is annoying lol. People ask the stupidest questions sometimes, like "where is the toilet paper"?

But I do enjoy counseling patients about their OTC meds and drug interactions. The job isn't horrible. It also isn't for everyone either.

My student loan debt is going to be high, I know but it's not the end of the world. YOLO.

Reactions: 3 users
I think everyone is missing the point on why pharmacy sucks. First of all as a pharmacist you really don't know anything. most pharmacist cannot ask themselves or answer truthfully how they contribute to better patient outcomes. I know you say I "counselpatints on their medication". Woo hoo. No one cares. 99 percent of the time the patient doesn't listen or care. But really how does random information about counseling really help? It doesn't. That is why pharmacy wages are declining. Hospitals and retailers know the value of a pharmacist and they know they only need pharmacists there because of regulatory issues. And all you really need to do is do a scholarly google search on "physicians perception of pharmacy/pharmacists". Most articles state physicians don't know what pharmacists are for. And that is why pharmacy will always suck. It's an ancillary job because the top dogs "physicians" will never need pharmacy,s help because they don't know what pharmacy is. All pharmacists want is validation from physicians and the public about their knowledge. And pharmacists will not get it. That's why pharmacy sucks.

I want to be a pharmacist now because of easy their job is. All they really do is answer the phone, verify medications, and consultant with patients. I think it is better and worth it to be a pharmacist than working in a factory, warehouse, or outside. You get paid 6 figures to basically do hardly nothing but yes I agree than the of getting prescriptions verified is challenging but the speed will come over time. What makes a pharmacist job so critical is the knowledge they have know to keep patients safe from harm of taking medications wrong or not at all. I love the fact that pharmacist actually can put their knowledge from school to work (Counseling). I have only been working in a pharmacy for about four days and they have been the busiest says the pharmacists and other technicians. I feel pharmacy is a good career if you want easy physical work. For the 100k loans, when you first get out of school just live way below your means and pay maybe $40k a year of loans and it will be over in no time. A couple of years of struggling or not being able to buy what you want won't hurt you People act like they can't find a financial solution to the big loans but it's real simple and they talk about these things in most finance books (I know because I read them). In a previous post I had done maybe a year ago, why are you discouraging students from pharmacy because with all the negative things you can say in the end it's still all up to the student if they want to be a pharmacist. Stop wasting your time when it's not your decision to make. Except when people ask your opinion. Also, I agree with some of the negative points but sit down and do a pro's and con' list if you not sure. With any career you pursue there are going to be pro's and con's. The pharmacy profession is not saturated in all areas of the U.S. Where I stay in NC at the Border of VA and southeast VA is not saturated with pharmacist. U can get on indeed and see pharmacist jobs open.

I want to be a pharmacist now because of easy their job is. All they really do is answer the phone, verify medications, and consultant with patients. I think it is better and worth it to be a pharmacist than working in a factory, warehouse, or outside. You get paid 6 figures to basically do hardly nothing but yes I agree than the of getting prescriptions verified is challenging but the speed will come over time. What makes a pharmacist job so critical is the knowledge they have know to keep patients safe from harm of taking medications wrong or not at all. I love the fact that pharmacist actually can put their knowledge from school to work (Counseling). I have only been working in a pharmacy for about four days and they have been the busiest says the pharmacists and other technicians. I feel pharmacy is a good career if you want easy physical work. For the 100k loans, when you first get out of school just live way below your means and pay maybe $40k a year of loans and it will be over in no time. A couple of years of struggling or not being able to buy what you want won't hurt you People act like they can't find a financial solution to the big loans but it's real simple and they talk about these things in most finance books (I know because I read them). In a previous post I had done maybe a year ago, why are you discouraging students from pharmacy because with all the negative things you can say in the end it's still all up to the student if they want to be a pharmacist. Stop wasting your time when it's not your decision to make. Except when people ask your opinion. Also, I agree with some of the negative points but sit down and do a pro's and con' list if you not sure. With any career you pursue there are going to be pro's and con's. The pharmacy profession is not saturated in all areas of the U.S. Where I stay in NC at the Border of VA and southeast VA is not saturated with pharmacist. U can get on indeed and see pharmacist jobs open.
You're in for a rude awakening if you're wanting to become a pharmacist "because of easy their job is." I'd switch educational paths if I were you and quit trying to get in if easiness is your final goal. Four days is no where near the experience you need to comprehend what you would face as a pharmacist, especially retail pharmacy.

Of course you've been only working in a pharmacy for four days, which makes you qualified to proclaim that being a pharmacist is an easy job. You mean being a ****ty one is easy

The OP did ask for people's opinions you derp.

Finally the vast majority of job posts on search engines are earmarked for internal applicants except for ones in ****ty areas where no one wants to work.

You're in for a rude awakening if you're wanting to become a pharmacist "because of easy their job is." I'd switch educational paths if I were you and quit trying to get in if easiness is your final goal. Four days is no where near the experience you need to comprehend what you would face as a pharmacist, especially retail pharmacy.
If you hate pharmacy so bad why don't you find another career then. What I meant by easiest which I change my position on is we have wear and tear on our bodies and what we can and can't take no matter what career we choose. I rather do pharmacy than work in a factory but if pharmacy is so bad to you why don't you go work in a factory. For all yall pharmacists who have a negative opinion of pharmacy do you currently work in a pharmacy? Oh, and goal is to help people by making sure people especially the elderly take their meds correctly so they can get the best results and live a longer life, which I think yall call Medication Therapy Management. maybe easy was elementary hoep

Of course you've been only working in a pharmacy for four days, which makes you qualified to proclaim that being a pharmacist is an easy job. You mean being a ****ty one is easy

The OP did ask for people's opinions you derp.

Finally the vast majority of job posts on search engines are earmarked for internal applicants except for ones in ****ty areas where no one wants to work.

First of all if the best insult you can come up with is to call someone a derp you don't belong in pharmacy. I don't want to come to the pharmacy where you work and because I have a different opinion you have to call me an ugly name. No working four days in a pharmacy doesn't qualify me to say pharmacy is easy. What I meant by that was the physical part. What gets on yall nerves is the responsibility that comes along with being one and I understand that. Also, what happen to people who like hard work and are proud of it. What happen to you can excel at whatever you want to do? What happen to people making sacrifices for what they love and need in life. I think you pharmacist who come up here are whining about what you didn't know you have to face. I say suck it up and help people with their health well being if that't the reason you chose pharmacy in the first place. Ok, what's wrong with staying in a area you don't like? Like I said earlier responsibility and sacrifice until you can get to where you really want to be. Work towards your goals in pharmacy don't try to shatter someone else's although I know the OP didn't really say she or he wanted to be a pharmacist.

Let's bring it back into focus. You are absolutely not the first pre-pharm to bring up the same weak pabulum that supposedly is a benefit of working in pharmacy, i.e., it's better than hard labor (so are most jobs in the service sector), so all these complaining pharmacists are just butthurt and didn't work hard enough and sacrifice and didn't do their homework, and all you have to do is X, Y, Z. Guess what, you can boil down any job to a basic set of tasks, but it's in the execution and prioritization of tasks that makes for a decent worker bee versus a hot mess who can't get anything done. So here you are having purportedly doing your homework unlike all these butthurt pharmacists who are wasting their time posting on forums, so you have even less reason to be butthurt wherever you take yourself in your pharmacy career, and I hope you find some actual substantive reasons to work in pharmacy. Everyone knows that the vast majority of pre-pharms wouldn't think twice about pharmacy if salaries were at 70-80k/year while still having to incur 100-150k+ in student loan debt. Good luck.

LOL

Wait until you get handed real responsibilities and challenges and your actions and decisions have real consequences.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

If you hate pharmacy so bad why don't you find another career then. What I meant by easiest which I change my position on is we have wear and tear on our bodies and what we can and can't take no matter what career we choose. I rather do pharmacy than work in a factory but if pharmacy is so bad to you why don't you go work in a factory. For all yall pharmacists who have a negative opinion of pharmacy do you currently work in a pharmacy? Oh, and goal is to help people by making sure people especially the elderly take their meds correctly so they can get the best results and live a longer life, which I think yall call Medication Therapy Management. maybe easy was elementary hoep
I was a tech for 3 years before starting pharmacy school. Even though my store is the highest volume store in my district, I love it, hence why I chose it. Yes I still currently intern at my pharmacy while I am in pharmacy school. What irks me is how oblivious you are to the field, what it entails and turn a blind eye to what everyone tells you. I would not want someone like that in the field I am entering. Unfortunately with the mass openings of pharmacy schools, people like you are bound to get in.

I was a tech for 3 years before starting pharmacy school. Even though my store is the highest volume store in my district, I love it, hence why I chose it. Yes I still currently intern at my pharmacy while I am in pharmacy school. What irks me is how oblivious you are to the field, what it entails and turn a blind eye to what everyone tells you. I would not want someone like that in the field I am entering. Unfortunately with the mass openings of pharmacy schools, people like you are bound to get in.

This is why I love working in the pharmacy, to help patients like this :heckyeah:

Classic :soexcited:

Everyone on this forum always talks about pharmacy being awful because even though you will have an above average salary you will spend it all paying off loans, but what if we won't have any loans to pay off once were done with pharmacy school, and assuming we have built connections and will have a job after graduation, then do you all still think it's so awful?

I have a master's degree in a completely unrelated field and I'll be paying off loans until I die, hahah. The loans are not unique to pharmacy.

love my store, not the extra crap you get in the field. there's a difference buddy lol
Can you tell me more about Medication Therapy Management? They are called personal pharmacist and I'm interested in that field.

Can you tell me more about Medication Therapy Management? They are called personal pharmacist and I'm interested in that field.
If u think MTM is real then you will love when pharmacists get provider status and prescribing status which will be soon.

You drive them to the pharmacy to help them get their meds. Then you take them home and administer the meds. Studies have shown that personal pharmacists increase compliance rates dramatically.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

People here are talking about programming being a better career choice but my mom is now a programmer close to retirement and hates her job. Sure out of college when tech was booming in her time she was making 100k but after losing her job to outsourcing mid career its half that. No job security, outsourcing is a huge threat, age discrimination once you hit 40. Has a masters and 30 years experience and her boss is a 26 year old who lives in india and doesn't even know how to code. Its a reputable company too. Yeah pharmacy has its pros and cons, but the grass isn't always greener.

Last edited:
Rx is a fair deal if debt is manageable. In today's world I'd be interested only with under 80k loans. Lots of other majors and jobs pencil out better

People here are talking about programming being a better career choice but my mom is now a programmer close to retirement and hates her job. Sure out of college when tech was booming in her time she was making 100k but after losing her job to outsourcing mid career its half that. No job security, outsourcing is a huge threat, age discrimination once you hit 40. Has a masters and 30 years experience and her boss is a 26 year old who lives in india and doesn't even know how to code. Its a reputable company too. Yeah pharmacy has its pros and cons, but the grass isn't always greener.
If you think that Pharmacy is free from the threat of economic forces, than you've been living in a cave. :laugh:

I find that people who are the most defensive about pharmacy "being a great career" are the people who have no experience in it. I hope these snowflakes don't rage-quit when they go through 4 years of school and 100-200K in debt and realize they were mistaken about pharmacy.

I find that people who are the most defensive about pharmacy "being a great career" are the people who have no experience in it. I hope these snowflakes don't rage-quit when they go through 4 years of school and 100-200K in debt and realize they were mistaken about pharmacy.

The more that rage-quit, the better for the job market :laugh: A lot of them probably won't for the same reason that they would continue onto pharmacy school and take out $200k+ in loans simply because they "already completed the pre-requisites."

If you think that Pharmacy is free from the threat of economic forces, than you've been living in a cave. :laugh:

Never said pharmacy was not under threat....but at least you get paid 100k+ if you manage to find a job. Mom has a masters in comp sci and gets paid 67k after 30 years experience, works overtime every day, her stress level is high, and the job market isn't even stable either. No job market is stable nowadays except maybe physician and nursing. Comp science is not much better in any aspect people are complaining about pharmacy (stress, job stability, etc) thats why I think its hilarious people suggest it as a better alternative. Grass is always greener people.