Why is the left coronary artery more affected in acute MI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just read in mcphee that the anterior descending branch of the left coronary artery is the most affected artery in MI, followed by the right and left circumflex.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I just read in mcphee that the anterior descending branch of the left coronary artery is the most affected artery in MI, followed by the right and left circumflex.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

I'm guessing that maybe because it's longer and feeds the larger area of the three (an area with thicker muscle too i.e. areas demanding high blood flow for oxygenation)... - since this area requires higher blood flow you will get a higher chance of plaque formation. ... hence it has a higher chance of being clinically significant??

I know, a question with a question... classic.

I'm guessing that maybe because it's longer and feeds the larger area of the three (an area with thicker muscle too i.e. areas demanding high blood flow for oxygenation)... - since this area requires higher blood flow you will get a higher chance of plaque formation. ... hence it has a higher chance of being clinically significant??

I know, a question with a question... classic.

Yes. It supplies a larger portion of the heart than the right one. :thumbup: