Why is there a stigma against DOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm shocked your Dean said that. Did he say anything more?

Yeah he said if that goes through there will be a grandfathered period. So if you took the COMLEX step 1 and the next year they start doing USMLE-O, you wouldn't have to go back and take the USMLE-O step 1 before taking Step 2.

That's all I can remember. He's like on some big shot board or something :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah he said if that goes through there will be a grandfathered period. So if you took the COMLEX step 1 and the next year they start doing USMLE-O, you wouldn't have to go back and take the USMLE-O step 1 before taking Step 2.

That's all I can remember. He's like on some big shot board or something :shrug:
Man that would be nice. Like many other students, for now I plan on taking both but I've heard many rethink that by the end of 2nd year.

If true, that's a pretty big deal.
I could be imagining this, or I could be thinking of someone else, but touchpause, I seem to remember you saying something before about your dean saying the merger was going to happen afterall, several months ago. He was prescient then...

or did I just make that up/pull it out of ________, etc? I dunno why, I just seem to remember you or someone else here on SDN saying something about their dean knowing stuff.....

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, which one of the two is easier?

My thought would be they should do it like the writing section on the MCAT. Have the USMLE part be a number and the OMM part be a letter. Problem solved

Interesting, that's actually better than two scores. Get Polk on that.

If true, that's a pretty big deal.
I could be imagining this, or I could be thinking of someone else, but touchpause, I seem to remember you saying something before about your dean saying the merger was going to happen afterall, several months ago. He was prescient then...

or did I just make that up/pull it out of ________, etc? I dunno why, I just seem to remember you or someone else here on SDN saying something about their dean knowing stuff.....

Hmm it wasn't me but I wouldn't be surprised if it was another DMU person. Dr. Polk knows his shet

...We can agree that MD opportunities are much more than at DO schools, but I think as long as DO students are aiming for mid-tier programs and come from an established school, inability to do is more about the student than the campus.

I generally agree with this.

The problem with boards is that no one really wants to take 2.

However at a talk with our Dean yesterday he mentioned that they are trying to move towards getting rid of the COMLEX and instead have the USMLE and USMLE-O. With the only difference being the USMLE-O would have an additional OMM section.

Would be nice if it happens, who knows how long it would take though.

The problem with boards is that no one really wants to take 2.

However at a talk with our Dean yesterday he mentioned that they are trying to move towards getting rid of the COMLEX and instead have the USMLE and USMLE-O. With the only difference being the USMLE-O would have an additional OMM section.

I think that sounds like a great idea. What are the chances of this actually happening any time soon (within about 5 years)?

Last edited:
Also, on the topic of research opportunities, what about a DO student going back to their hometown/UG during summer of MS1 to do research at an MD school?

EDIT: eh i think this was sorta answered above.

Last edited:
Also, on the topic of research opportunities, what about a DO student going back to their hometown/UG during summer of MS1 to do research at an MD school?
Why not? Tons of people do it MD or DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Rowan has plenty of research opportunities for those who want it, in EM, Geri, basic science etc. some people worked with Dr Nagele on his major Alzheimer's/Parkinson's findings which may lead to tests. Our Geri department is ranked high in US N&W Reports. I disagree, focus is not high on research but opportunities are there if you look.