Why is there no rearrangement DESTROYER 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fan2342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't this do ring expansion?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, how is 206 not e?
A palindrome in genetics is not like English might be like (word forward=word backwards). Here, it means that the 5' and 3' ends of a nucleotide, usually a restriction enzyme site, are complementary. So, it is 5' CCTAGG 3'. 5' CCT is complementary to the 3' GGA.

This is a hydroboration oxidation reaction of an alkene. Therefore, you add anti markovnikov.

A palindrome in genetics is not like English might be like (word forward=word backwards). Here, it means that the 5' and 3' ends of a nucleotide, usually a restriction enzyme site, are complementary. So, it is 5' CCTAGG 3'. 5' CCT is complementary to the 3' GGA.

This is a hydroboration oxidation reaction of an alkene. Therefore, you add anti markovnikov.
There's no carbocation in hydroboration correct? And wow I don't know what I was thinking. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
You are indeed the perspicacious student ! An exocyclic double bond on a 3 or 4 membered ring does indeed indicate a rearrangement of some sort. HOWEVER, not here. The hydroboration reaction was developed by my dear friend Dr. Herbert C. Brown. I have met him a few times, and he was the kindest man I ever known. This reaction earned Dr. Brown the 1979 Nobel Prize in Chemistry ! No rearrangements occur with this reaction since no carbocation or even carbanion is involved. You need not bother yourself with the mechanistical details. You simply must remember to do an Anti-Matkovnikov addition, with syn stereochemistry. This reaction is usually employed to give alcohols.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user