why is this forum so inactive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how come no one wants to be in this profession? what is the reason? no money? low respect? etc?

i am a little interested.

Members don't see this ad.

You are really asking more than a single question here. your subject heading doesn't really cover the rest of the questions you ask, though they are related.

So, why are there so few posts to this area? In part I think it is due to lack of exposure. I don't think that there are many DPM students who know about this site. A number of the frequent posters are DPM students who have chosen to pursue other aspects of medicine. A large number of the posts are from pre-graduate study students, and the majortiy of these are not really aware of podiatry. I think a majority of DPM students are also unaware of this site. Honestly, as a DPM student, SDN is pretty low-yield as far as info. I can see why most DPM students would not bother to spend their time here.

As far as your other questions.
How come no one wants to be in this profession? - You are looking inthe wrong places. If you talk to the students in the schools you might find that there are many people who do want to be in this profession, they just aren't posting on SDN. A number of the people posting here are prior DPM students who decided to change their focus. This might account for some of the attitudes or perspectives you have seen.

No money? You might want to check that again. I don't know where you came up with this idea. Most podiatrists are doing quite well. Check any number of nationally published salary indexes. Podiatrists are usually somewhere along the top. There are also a number of podiatrists who are not doing so well, so you may want to look through your old statistics textbooks to see if you might be able to figure out how these numbers all pertain to the real world.

Low respect? This might be a factor on an individual basis, but I don't see it as much of a problem. Some people may see this as an issue, but I have seen too many podiatrists who are well respected by everyone they are in contact with to see this as a problem with the profession. I have also seen a large number of MDs and DOs that people would not refer their pets to. I think the respect thing boils down to an individual basis rather than a degree issue.

I hope this sheds some light on your questions, and hopefully provokes a few more questions.