Why is UOP so special?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

For those applying to UOP and those who are already students there, why did u choose that school? This is not some cheap way to get some ideas for my essay or anything like that, but I truly want to know. In my mind, UOP is up there as a top notch program, but I really don't know why that is and what it has to offer over other schools. I can't really find much on their website.

Also, what is Stockton like? What kind of a place is it....small community feel, big city, party life, etc...

Thanks guys.

I think the special thing about UOP is the crazy amount of networking you will get since so many California pharmacists went to UOP. Other than that, I don't really see anything too special about the school besides the fact that it has been around for 50+ years and is a three year program. Most people do consider it a backup school to UCSF, UCSD, and USC. Nevertheless, it's not a bad school at all.
 
The actual campus "situation" is quite nice - A couple blocks from Sherwood/Weberstown Mall, the new Pavilions thing, Chili's, multiple banks, a nice junior college, March and Pacific Avenues... It's a big area.

Chili's and the Sherwood Mall? Sounds like one hell of a friday night. Who can ever pass up Stockton!?!? :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Like mentioned early, as one of the original 3 schools (UOP, USC, UCSF) , you will find that many pharmacists you meet come from these 3 schools.



Did you know that Scott Boras (sports agent) went to UOP for a Pharm.D.?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1138685/3/index.htm

Boras, 40, earned a doctorate in industrial pharmacy at the University of the Pacific in 1977.
 
passion-
if you have one weekend to entertain some visitors in stockton, where do you take them?

any good indigenous restaurants, sites, bars, etc?
 
You couldn't pay me enough to live in Stockton....scratch that, maybe you can so long as I funnel that money into weapons.

That place is a total sh*thole...Z and passion aren't kidding, stockton is like the dumping ground for all the nice coastal cities/counties.

I wonder how many out-of-staters are writing essays extolling how beautiful stockton is and its relationship to the SF bay area (none). 😆

i once dated someone in stockton in high school and i think had a date at the aforementioned chili's....hahaha.


and you guys need a geography lesson, USC's pharmacy school is nowhere near compton, alhambra, or pasadena. it's in freakin' east LA/lincoln heights near the juvenile court. not exactly a nice area to be either.
 
I don't think a few miles difference is quite "nowhere near". Is it not true that many students live in Alhambra/Pasadena area and commute?
 
passion-
if you have one weekend to entertain some visitors in stockton, where do you take them?

any good indigenous restaurants, sites, bars, etc?

in Stockton? Well, I'd probably take visitors to Sacramento, since it's only ~45 minutes up I-5, and the selections are a whole lot nicer.

Barring that option, BJ's Brewery, in the new "Pavilions" shopping center thing, is really nice and the service is awesome. It's about 2 notches higher than Chili's. If you need nicer, I'd go Elephant Bar, which is near Sherwood Mall and across from Delta College.

For sites / something to do, a Delta River cruise would be ideal. They're usually pretty inexpensive, and quite enjoyable.There is also the Bob Hope "Fox" theater tour... It is also inexpensive and very informative.

If there are children involved, Pixie Woods is a great place to take them.
 
You couldn't pay me enough to live in Stockton....scratch that, maybe you can so long as I funnel that money into weapons. [/quote]I'm totally down for pharmacy school there. But yeah, settling in Stockton, not going to happen.

That place is a total sh*thole...Z and passion aren't kidding, stockton is like the dumping ground for all the nice coastal cities/counties.

Yep, and what doesn't stay in Stkn, goes to Manteca. That is like a developing ****-hole.

I wonder how many out-of-staters are writing essays extolling how beautiful stockton is and its relationship to the SF bay area (none).
I don't know, some areas of Wilson Way bear striking resemblances to the Tenderloin...

i once dated someone in stockton in high school and i think had a date at the aforementioned chili's....hahaha.
My very first "date" was at the now-defunct Lyon's, right by where Montgomery Ward's used to be. Good times, high life in Stockton! Then again my friends took their dates to Taco Bell, so...
 
For those applying to UOP and those who are already students there, why did u choose that school? This is not some cheap way to get some ideas for my essay or anything like that, but I truly want to know. In my mind, UOP is up there as a top notch program, but I really don't know why that is and what it has to offer over other schools. I can't really find much on their website.

Also, what is Stockton like? What kind of a place is it....small community feel, big city, party life, etc...

Thanks guys.
stockton sucks. It's hot, boring, and far away from everything interesting. It's almost like not being in california at all.
 
I'm just surprised to hear all the negativity. When I went to their supplemental application workshop in June things just didn't seem that bad...guess I didn't get out much! I did however go eat at the Chili's in the mall on Pacific Ave by myself, and now I'm thinking when I go back there next month for "preview day", I will not make the same mistake?? :scared:
 
I'm just surprised to hear all the negativity. When I went to their supplemental application workshop in June things just didn't seem that bad...guess I didn't get out much! I did however go eat at the Chili's in the mall on Pacific Ave by myself, and now I'm thinking when I go back there next month for "preview day", I will not make the same mistake?? :scared:

No, Pacific Avenue is fine, and where that Chili's is great, particularly if you're not there too much after dark. "The Strip", as we natives called it, running along both the north ends of Pacific and Pershing, is fine.

Most of the time, anyway. There is the occasional broad daylight, gunpoint robbery and bank robbery (IN fact, the Chase bank right next to Chili's gets knocked over every couple weeks...) and gang violence shooting/stabbing... but generally, I do not fear for myself anywhere in that neighborhood. Now, going to Alpine and anywhere south of that... probably not so much. And not for any length of time... Don't look at the wrong person when you're driving or you're liable to get a "wrong time, wrong place".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, Pacific Avenue is fine, and where that Chili's is great, particularly if you're not there too much after dark. "The Strip", as we natives called it, running along both the north ends of Pacific and Pershing, is fine.

Most of the time, anyway. There is the occasional broad daylight, gunpoint robbery and bank robbery (IN fact, the Chase bank right next to Chili's gets knocked over every couple weeks...) and gang violence shooting/stabbing... but generally, I do not fear for myself anywhere in that neighborhood. Now, going to Alpine and anywhere south of that... probably not so much. And not for any length of time... Don't look at the wrong person when you're driving or you're liable to get a "wrong time, wrong place".

Noted!!! Thanks 🙂...on a brighter note, when do you guys start class??
 
it'd help if I knew exactly what this was in response to. LOL 😛

LOL I think he's referring to your comment about how you don't fear for your life usually...
I would venture to say that that's not all it has to do with, as I was/am still in the military and will most likely still be fearing for my life at the beginning if I get accepted here!! :laugh:
 
Yeah, mandydp6 is right.

I thought I should minimize quoting you cause of what you said!!

Well and of course, that was your hometown.. so..
 
wow you guys really portrayed a scary picture of stockton. when i was at the interview, the area around the campus wasn't that bad. lots of nice stores and dining places nearby. maybe i didn't drive around the city enough to see the bad parts, but if i attended uop, i probably wouldn't go far from the campus anyways.
 
Yeah, mandydp6 is right.

I thought I should minimize quoting you cause of what you said!!

Well and of course, that was your hometown.. so..

Ah, I see!

Military training is one thing, and knowing how to fire if need be is important, it's much less important when you are not equipped with IBA and a rifle and are not operating with your squad =P I am, perhaps, more willing to put myself in risky situations because of my experience and training and if anything that makes me more likely to get into trouble than a properly scaredy-pants civvy. 😛
 
wow you guys really portrayed a scary picture of stockton. when i was at the interview, the area around the campus wasn't that bad. lots of nice stores and dining places nearby. maybe i didn't drive around the city enough to see the bad parts, but if i attended uop, i probably wouldn't go far from the campus anyways.

I acknowledged this several times. The area around campus is pretty nice. I said that at least 3 times on page 1...
 
Damn that's rough. Can't say that I have ever experienced something like that before.

Miami is just rather unsavory like that.

I don't think a few miles difference is quite "nowhere near". Is it not true that many students live in Alhambra/Pasadena area and commute?

Large cities sometimes have very nice areas literally blocks away from very horrible areas, so if LA is anything like that, then a few miles could mean a whole world of difference I suppose.


Ah, I see!

Military training is one thing, and knowing how to fire if need be is important, it's much less important when you are not equipped with IBA and a rifle and are not operating with your squad =P I am, perhaps, more willing to put myself in risky situations because of my experience and training and if anything that makes me more likely to get into trouble than a properly scaredy-pants civvy. 😛

I just dress like a chonga in the hood and then no one bothers me because they think I'm their neighbor or their cousin's girlfriend or something. lol
 
hm... just FYI (UoP is actually no longer used.. University of the Pacific currently preferred to be called Pacific)

picking a school really depends on how u feel about the school itself when u actually visited..

I have a friend who weren't really interested in Pacific in the first place and only applied to it as a back up originally.. but after he visited/ interviewed.. Pacific became one of his top choices...

granted.. Pacific is in the ghetto.. but what about USC, Tuoro, Western?.. i wouldnt say Compton, Vallejo, Pomona are necessary the best place to live either...

😕 USC health science campus isn't in Compton ... neither is the USC main campus. The main campus is 14 miles from Compton. A city block is roughly 0.1 miles ... 140 city blocks away 👎 Boo to absurd rumors. HSC campus is even farther away, 17 miles.
 
Yep, and what doesn't stay in Stkn, goes to Manteca. That is like a developing ****-hole.


My very first "date" was at the now-defunct Lyon's, right by where Montgomery Ward's used to be. Good times, high life in Stockton! Then again my friends took their dates to Taco Bell, so...

Manteca!! I thought this thread couldn't mention anything else worse than Stockton. Hell, at least Compton has good stuff within a 20 minute drive. If you drive 20 minutes from sh*tty stockton...you end up in.....sh*ttier manteca.

hahaha....wait....they have water slides!! :meanie:

oh and for some reason you reminding me of lyon's reminds me of Baker's Square...don't ask. haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
we would cede the central valley to nevada or arizona...but we need a buffer space between us and the rest of the nation.

you know, when someone starts chasing after you, you start throwing chairs/random discarded material in your path as you run? that's stockton/manteca/stanislaus county/fresno/bakersfield for ya...our discarded lawn chairs and debris, hahaha.
 
i think you're confusing national city with SD, hahah

yeah cause its a fact... san diego is the greatest city in the world.

btw i had to look up the banos thing cause i pass by it everytime i drive up north and its actually referring to "the baths" which were some nearby creek. but yeah in my dictionary it still counts as the bathrooms.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how dare you have a Dodgers logo as an avatar 👎thumbdown👎

san diego may be the greatest city in the world but the padres and the chargers are teases. lead us on to think they will bring home a trophy only to fail in crunch time.

not that the dodgers have done any better in the past 20 years... but i grew up a dodgers fan so i will stick with them. will be interesting when I go to UOP later this month in giants territory.
 
san diego may be the greatest city in the world but the padres and the chargers are teases. lead us on to think they will bring home a trophy only to fail in crunch time.

not that the dodgers have done any better in the past 20 years... but i grew up a dodgers fan so i will stick with them. will be interesting when I go to UOP later this month in giants territory.

okay, fair enough. but we still can't be friends.

i hope they catch you with that stupid "giants hat" cam that superimposes a giants uniform/hat over your los doyers gear. that rivalry is 100x more intense than SD.
 
Aww BOOO! I lived in San Diego for 4 years and miss it dearly 🙁
SO not a poop hole!

i think you're confusing national city with SD, hahah

yeah cause its a fact... san diego is the greatest city in the world.

btw i had to look up the banos thing cause i pass by it everytime i drive up north and its actually referring to "the baths" which were some nearby creek. but yeah in my dictionary it still counts as the bathrooms.


I lived in SD for 4 years, it sucks compared to LA SF and Boston. I can't stand SD or the 3985399035873925789257853985 F/A-18's that buzz the 805 especially around sept/oct/nov.
 
I lived in SD for 4 years, it sucks compared to LA SF and Boston. I can't stand SD or the 3985399035873925789257853985 F/A-18's that buzz the 805 especially around sept/oct/nov.

boston sucks cuz of the people/weather, LA is just dirty (unless you're on the west side).

F/A-18's rock, I'd rather have those than....LAPD helicopters buzzing around with their spotlights.

SF is great, except for the idiots in their city/county gov't.

SD = laid back nature of SF + beachy OC culture, IMO. Oh, and Mexican food...please tell me you ventured to Chula Juana for some south-of-the-border goodness.
 
If there is one thing I am afraid of if I have to move to the east coast, it's not being able to find GOOD, AUTHENTIC Mexican food easily. It is one great thing about living in a border state.