Why isn't this being discussed more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinophile

MetalHead
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something, or is this a big deal?
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2008/06/16/prsb0616.htm

New rule excludes medical graduates from federal loan deferment plan
Residents and new medical school graduates have one more year to qualify for the program under the old rules.

By Myrle Croasdale, AMNews staff. June 16, 2008.

The U.S. Dept. of Education has finalized its decision to tighten access to a popular debt-management program, which will close this program to medical graduates.

The new regulations, based on the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, are open for public comment and still could be altered. But the Assn. of American Medical Colleges said significant changes to the economic hardship deferment program would be unlikely at this stage.

Under the old rules, two-thirds of first-year residents qualified to delay repaying their subsidized federal loans for up to three years without accruing interest. The typical medical resident making $45,000 and carrying at least $76,000 in debt qualified.

The new rules, established in April, limit qualifying income to $15,600 a year or less, and debt size is no longer considered in the eligibility calculation. If graduates, including physicians, work in public service, their remaining debt will be forgiven after 10 years of repayments. But details of this loan forgiveness deal have yet to be defined, and it is unclear what type of physician practice would qualify.

The economic hardship loan deferment program will continue to accept applicants under its old rules until July 1, 2009, giving qualifying residents and new medical school graduates one last year to participate.

For those no longer eligible, the U.S. Dept. of Education plans to start an income-based repayment program July 1, 2009. In this program, a medical graduate starting residency at $45,000 a year would be required to make monthly payments of $365, according to the AAMC. The median medical education debt is $140,000, the AAMC said.

Another option is to go into forbearance, in which residents don't pay on the loans, but the loans accrue interest, ultimately increasing the total amount residents must repay.

AMA Board of Trustees member Chris DeRienzo, MD, said the AMA was disappointed in the education department's stance and would press for changes during the comment period. Even small monthly payments would be too much for some residents, he said. "We hope to have another crack at making our points on why the pathway is important to a lot of residents across the country," he said. "This is not dead yet."

At press time in early June, the AMA House of Delegates was expected to consider four resolutions related to rising medical student debt. One proposal calls for studying the feasibility of the use of endowment funds or other approaches to help trim students' debt. The AMA also supports a bill that would reinstate the economic hardship loan deferment program for medical graduates.

Kimberly Ruscher, MD, a surgical resident at the University of Connecticut in Hartford who has $150,000 in student loans, used the economic hardship loan deferment program to manage her debt during residency. Now she will try to pay the $500 a month she will owe under the income-based loan repayment program instead of going into forbearance and accruing interest on her debt.

"I respect the financial responsibility I undertook when I took these loans, but I took them under a certain set of rules and regulations knowing I would pay them back later," Dr. Ruscher said. "Now the rules have changed on me."

She said the situation is particularly hard for colleagues who have started families and can't afford loan repayments on residents' salaries. They will have to opt for forbearance, she said, and watch their total debt climb.

Members don't see this ad.

The new regulations, based on the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, are open for public comment and still could be altered. But the Assn. of American Medical Colleges said significant changes to the economic hardship deferment program would be unlikely at this stage.

You are a year (OK, maybe just some months) too late -- this is old news. Do a search, and you will find several threads on the topic. Yes, it is a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I remember reading this about a year ago and feeling a sinking feeling in my stomach but overall there's really nothing I can do about it other than sign some petition and voice my opinion to random people. It sucks but it's not gonna make me stop pursuing medicine so I'll just try not to think about it.

However I would like to know the circumstances under which this bill was passed. Maybe some congressman woke up one day and thought, "Doctor are perceived as rich; they get government money and don't have to start paying back until four years after they graduate. No one will mind if we make them pay it back sooner and it will save a little money. I'll write up a bill and make some speech and it'll be cool... etc". Thus we become screwed.

Can someone tell me the difference between deferment and forbearance? I'm guessing the government still pays interest on your subsidized loans or something otherwise they sound exactly the same to me.

I know it's old, but I guess I didn't read through this thoroughly. I'm particularly curious about the whole debt forgiveness program provision. That would definitely influence which specialties I'd consider if they gave that to PCPs.

Can someone tell me the difference between deferment and forbearance? I'm guessing the government still pays interest on your subsidized loans or something otherwise they sound exactly the same to me.
yeah you are right
forbearance we pay interest

yeah you are right
forbearance we pay interest

Have you looked at you med school loans? Aren't they like 85% or more unsubsidized? I guess not having to payback undergrad loans is nice...

On another note, there was talk about an alternative to the 20/220 rule... something like a 15/150 rule that was in the works? I remember reading about it on SDN when this was first discussed a few months ago. Thoughts?

Have you looked at you med school loans? Aren't they like 85% or more unsubsidized? I guess not having to payback undergrad loans is nice...

On another note, there was talk about an alternative to the 20/220 rule... something like a 15/150 rule that was in the works? I remember reading about it on SDN when this was first discussed a few months ago. Thoughts?
There are still benefits to deferring unsubsidized loans, since interest is capitalized, rather than compounded, before the loan enters repayment (i.e. is in deferment.)

I'm a little new to all of this because I'm starting school in a few weeks, but does this mean that my loan repayment begins in right after graduation? I could have sworn this wasn't mentioned in my financial aid talks at interviews...

I'm a little new to all of this because I'm starting school in a few weeks, but does this mean that my loan repayment begins in right after graduation? I could have sworn this wasn't mentioned in my financial aid talks at interviews...
Yes, repayment begins right after you graduate. You may still apply for forbearance, which will get you out of making monthly payments that you presumably can't afford, but the juice is still running during that period of time (unlike deferment.)

There should be a 6 month grace period.

Yeah, this is a huge deal. It can't get talked about enough, IMHO, so it's good that it's been brought up again.

I urge you guys to contact your Congressmen. Here's a link you can use to contact them through the AAMC:

http://capwiz.com/aamc/issues/alert/?alertid=11186091&PROCESS=Take+Action

They ask you for your address, but that's only to locate the Congressmen and Senators for whom you're a constituent (and due to gerrymandering, zip codes aren't enough anymore). This is legit though, and you don't have to register or anything. They're not going to sell your address. Capwiz handles Congressional communication for a multitude of organizations. I've used it often and have never heard from them (no spam, etc.).