Why md/phd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

castr0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why would someone choose md phd over md?. I would like to hear some people's opinion who chose the route, or others that are currently enrolling into the md phd program. What made you decide to do this and not just a phd or solely an md?

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, md phd students get medical school paid for plus $30,000 a year stipend to live on. That would be plenty motivation.

Contrary to popular belief, the question is more involved than "do you like research?" The best way to get a good answer is to shadow an MD Phd in practice. Some spend 20% of their time in clinic; others spend 60%. There are also numerous ways to be employed with those credentials. As in all professions, responsibilities will vary widely.

I wasn't being facetious, I was just trying to say the answers are myriad, very personal, and lengthy. I would type out my reason for trying to enter my schools MD/PhD program but the answer would be extremely long.

Shadowing an MD/PhD is a good start but, yeah, you have to love research, or at least be able to deal with it during grad school. You'll be doing a ton of intense bench work to earn your PhD and to keep research as a part of your career after residency.