Why Medicine?

Future_M.D

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would just like to know your reasons of why you want to become a doctor?

So many people are going into healthcare for the wrong reasons.

Anyone care to share?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I want to become a doctor mainly because I want to help people (obviously), and cure any of their problems. I know that other jobs offer the same reward, but in my opinion, I find that becoming a doctor can provide this as well. Helping those who are sick and those who are in pain is something that I would find rewarding:).
It is true that there is a long path to becoming a doctor, but as long as someone does it from heart then that profession is right for them. However, if it's only cause of money then... maybe not...

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the right reasons?

I'm just saying, I know a lot of people who want to be doctors and are extremely smart but they only want to do it for the money and stability. They only want to do it because their mom or dad wants them to. They only want to do it because they can't think of anything else.

In my Anatomy/Physiology class there was this girl complaining about how much she hates the class, yet she wants to be a doctor, she stated "I do want to be a doctor but I just hate this class, I don't know, doctors get paid a lot soo.."

Eh, I hate this mentality that people can't go into professions for monetary stability. Yea, I am passionate about medicine, I love the prospect of helping people. But, I ALSO like the money. I also like the weight that comes with the MD title. I also like the idea that I also know that I will always have a job.

Its this stigma that I dislike about ad-coms and even premeds. If an engineer told you that he want to major in his field because he liked math/science AND job security/money no one would bat an eye.

Reactions: 2 users
Well I want to become a doctor mainly because I want to help people (obviously), and cure any of their problems. I know that other jobs offer the same reward, but in my opinion, I find that becoming a doctor can provide this as well. Helping those who are sick and those who are in pain is something that I would find rewarding:).
It is true that there is a long path to becoming a doctor, but as long as someone does it from heart then that profession is right for them. However, if it's only cause of money then... maybe not...

As a nurse practitioner you can essentially do the same thing that you just mentioned.. I am not writing this to put you down but just to make you dig a little deeper as to why an MD particularly would suit your needs.. It's not an answer that will come to you in hours or even days.. Personally I wanted to be a doctor but I never knew "why" and exactly "what" I wanted to do with an MD that I couldn't necessarily do with a MS in nursing or becoming a PA. It was close to the end of undergrad when it all came together. :)

As a nurse practitioner you can essentially do the same thing that you just mentioned.. I am not writing this to put you down but just to make you dig a little deeper as to why an MD particularly would suit your needs.. It's not an answer that will come to you in hours or even days.. Personally I wanted to be a doctor but I never knew "why" and exactly "what" I wanted to do with an MD that I couldn't necessarily do with a MS in nursing or becoming a PA. It was close to the end of undergrad when it all came together. :)

I completely agree with you! I've always thought long and hard about whether becoming a medical doctor is the right choice for me and I believe it is. I know that this comment wasn't addressed to me but you make a really good point!

I feel like medicine is my calling. My mother has polycystic kidney disease, sciatica, and only one kidney that isn't even a good one, along with other health conditions of which I am not sure what they are called. She's living off of medications LITERALLY. The doctors told her that the only way she will be able to live is if she continues to take her medications. I usually would not share this information with anyone, but this is one of the reasons why I feel so strongly about going into the field of medicine. My mom has been falsely diagnosed by an MD whose only concern was to get the job over with and go home, he didn't care about his patients, he couldn't even take the time to come up with a PROPER diagnoses for the condition my mother was in. He believed that everything was fine (for some reason) and moments later she had to be rushed to the hospital for a blood transfusion and it turned out that she was having kidney failure! It hurt me to witness my mom in so much pain and this doctor just tossing her aside as if it wasn't important to see what was happening to her (he obviously felt he had better things to do!). I look down on doctors like him, I feel like it's just so pathetic and he's probably one of those people who only pursued a career in medicine just for the money. I love helping people, I love doing work in my Anatomy class where we get scenarios about one's condition and we are assigned to figure out the diagnosis for the patient(s) in the scenario(s). I'm fascinated by the human body because it's just so complex and it just amazes me! Science has always been something that I have been interested in ever since elementary school. I couldn't really see myself working in any other profession. I love lab days where we dissect cats and cow eyes and pigs, etc. I just have this extreme excitement all the time when it comes to the thought of being able to actually save peoples' lives and know that you have made a huge difference!! I have other reasons as well, but those are just a few of my reasons!

Eh, I hate this mentality that people can't go into professions for monetary stability. Yea, I am passionate about medicine, I love the prospect of helping people. But, I ALSO like the money. I also like the weight that comes with the MD title. I also like the idea that I also know that I will always have a job.

Its this stigma that I dislike about ad-coms and even premeds. If an engineer told you that he want to major in his field because he liked math/science AND job security/money no one would bat an eye.
Yes, and remember the joker in Dark Night, He was willing to kill and do a lot of horror....for the sake of it. He has burned the money if you remember! So, if you want to be a doctor for the money, that doesn't make you a heartless person. If you want to help for free, then your MD is going to give the opportunity to volunteer and help people that can't offer free health care, people in Africa or others.

I meant can't offer healthcare that is not free...

I completely agree with you! I've always thought long and hard about whether becoming a medical doctor is the right choice for me and I believe it is. I know that this comment wasn't addressed to me but you make a really good point!

I feel like medicine is my calling. My mother has polycystic kidney disease, sciatica, and only one kidney that isn't even a good one, along with other health conditions of which I am not sure what they are called. She's living off of medications LITERALLY. The doctors told her that the only way she will be able to live is if she continues to take her medications. I usually would not share this information with anyone, but this is one of the reasons why I feel so strongly about going into the field of medicine. My mom has been falsely diagnosed by an MD whose only concern was to get the job over with and go home, he didn't care about his patients, he couldn't even take the time to come up with a PROPER diagnoses for the condition my mother was in. He believed that everything was fine (for some reason) and moments later she had to be rushed to the hospital for a blood transfusion and it turned out that she was having kidney failure! It hurt me to witness my mom in so much pain and this doctor just tossing her aside as if it wasn't important to see what was happening to her (he obviously felt he had better things to do!). I look down on doctors like him, I feel like it's just so pathetic and he's probably one of those people who only pursued a career in medicine just for the money. I love helping people, I love doing work in my Anatomy class where we get scenarios about one's condition and we are assigned to figure out the diagnosis for the patient(s) in the scenario(s). I'm fascinated by the human body because it's just so complex and it just amazes me! Science has always been something that I have been interested in ever since elementary school. I couldn't really see myself working in any other profession. I love lab days where we dissect cats and cow eyes and pigs, etc. I just have this extreme excitement all the time when it comes to the thought of being able to actually save peoples' lives and know that you have made a huge difference!! I have other reasons as well, but those are just a few of my reasons!
I am sorry for your mom and I know what you mean when you describe that doctor who didn't seem to care for your mom. I had to go to the emergency once and had a terrible chest pain and a terrible fatigue, the doctor that I saw looked like he didn't care, the ECG was ok so to him I was making it up and I felt bad and his lack of empathy made me cry, looked like he didn't want to know what I have....Just forgive ! I know that some doctors have a very hard life, even when they are sick they have to work sometimes...They are not trained to remember God and his great generosity and empathy, they just focus on people and when you just do that, you may become wierd and lack empathy, love ...So I guess the problem is not the money, the problem is the way they percieve themselves and the world around them. For example me, I know that God is generous and very empathic, I know that He is the example to follow and it is somewhere in our nature to love God and love all that he is: generosity, greatness, love, empathy, beauty, etc. I also know that he said that those who do good actions will have a good reward here and in the hereafter. He also cheers those who do those good actions for the sake of God's face. The money and the rest is not supposed to be included. The MD that you can obtain, even if you are going to use it to have a job and a pay, don't forget that you can volunteer and do good things with it, for free. The health and justice, peace, all these things are far above the money matters. And a job is a job and medicine is a training, a vocation before being a job. To be honest, me too, sometimes, I think of all the social services and healthcare services and the fact that people that work there are getting paid for what they do and they do it way that is regulated. When I want to help someone that needs help and if I see that I can, I just help. But an MD is like a bag of tools, to help people. Not the only one but it is an important one. What do you think of all that I am saying?

Reactions: 1 users
I am sorry for your mom and I know what you mean when you describe that doctor who didn't seem to care for your mom. I had to go to the emergency once and had a terrible chest pain and a terrible fatigue, the doctor that I saw looked like he didn't care, the ECG was ok so to him I was making it up and I felt bad and his lack of empathy made me cry, looked like he didn't want to know what I have....Just forgive ! I know that some doctors have a very hard life, even when they are sick they have to work sometimes...They are not trained to remember God and his great generosity and empathy, they just focus on people and when you just do that, you may become wierd and lack empathy, love ...So I guess the problem is not the money, the problem is the way they percieve themselves and the world around them. For example me, I know that God is generous and very empathic, I know that He is the example to follow and it is somewhere in our nature to love God and love all that he is: generosity, greatness, love, empathy, beauty, etc. I also know that he said that those who do good actions will have a good reward here and in the hereafter. He also cheers those who do those good actions for the sake of God's face. The money and the rest is not supposed to be included. The MD that you can obtain, even if you are going to use it to have a job and a pay, don't forget that you can volunteer and do good things with it, for free. The health and justice, peace, all these things are far above the money matters. And a job is a job and medicine is a training, a vocation before being a job. To be honest, me too, sometimes, I think of all the social services and healthcare services and the fact that people that work there are getting paid for what they do and they do it way that is regulated. When I want to help someone that needs help and if I see that I can, I just help. But an MD is like a bag of tools, to help people. Not the only one but it is an important one. What do you think of all that I am saying?

I love this!! We're definitely on the same page! I did forgive him, along with the chiropractor who damaged my moms intervertebral discs, and the hospital doctors who diagnosed my mom with the wrong thing as well which could have resulted in her dying. I've forgiven every last one of them. I know that doctors are only human and humans make mistakes, even when they show lack of care and empathy to patients it makes me feel bad for them rather than anger towards them.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish you luck Future MD. I hope you are able to sustain your optimism and the nobility of your calling. There are many things on the path to being a doctor that might derail you from your vision - the fatigue (mental, physical, or emotional), the system, the many layers of BS that you might have to go through to achieve your goal... the list is endless. But there is nothing to equal the moment a patient gives you a smile of gratitude. The very best of luck to you!:happy:

I wish you luck Future MD. I hope you are able to sustain your optimism and the nobility of your calling. There are many things on the path to being a doctor that might derail you from your vision - the fatigue (mental, physical, or emotional), the system, the many layers of BS that you might have to go through to achieve your goal... the list is endless. But there is nothing to equal the moment a patient gives you a smile of gratitude. The very best of luck to you!:happy:

Thank you :) I know it's going to be extremely tough haha.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

I understand where you're coming from, but the stigma is there because you do have people all over healthcare that just coasts, put in their 12 hours and leave. I'm not saying you can't be human, empathetic, and get compensated well for it, but no one wants an apathetic doctor during their most vulnerable moments. I've been around enough ****ty doctors to know this, but I'm also very appreciative towards the great doctors who I hope to emulate one day. Put your patients first, the money will follow.

When I was little, I was OBSESSED with becoming a doctor and science. I would tell everyone I was going to be a neurosurgeon when I was in 5th grade. Something, life, happened in highscool and I began to reconsidered "easier" careers. But there was no passion in them for me....
Then I took my first college level biology class. My professor was extremely young and became both my mentor and friend. I remembered how much LOVE I had for the field. (And I was doing really well). Because of that and several other factors, I realized life just wouldn't be worth it if I wasn't pursuing something I loved.
Furthermore, I've been struggling with understanding my own meaning in this world. I feel like I'm learning ever day and want to help others in a practical way to be ABLE to do the same.

Hopefully I'll go into neurology. Why? Because I understand what struggles the mind can cause the body and want to help people overcome that.

Reactions: 3 users
When I was little, I was OBSESSED with becoming a doctor and science. I would tell everyone I was going to be a neurosurgeon when I was in 5th grade. Something, life, happened in highscool and I began to reconsidered "easier" careers. But there was no passion in them for me....
Then I took my first college level biology class. My professor was extremely young and became both my mentor and friend. I remembered how much LOVE I had for the field. (And I was doing really well). Because of that and several other factors, I realized life just wouldn't be worth it if I wasn't pursuing something I loved.
Furthermore, I've been struggling with understanding my own meaning in this world. I feel like I'm learning ever day and want to help others in a practical way to be ABLE to do the same.

Hopefully I'll go into neurology. Why? Because I understand what struggles the mind can cause the body and want to help people overcome that.

So true! :D

There is nothing wrong with choosing a job based on monetary stability, self satisfaction will not pay the bills. I think the biggest concern about people who go into medicine PRIMARILY for the monetary stability is the lack of emotion they put into their work, which for MDs is patients. I am currently doing an internship at Bellevue hospital in NYC and I've seen and talked with a lot of doctors and nurses that genuinely care about the patients and I've met a few doctors and nurses that interact with the patients as little as possible. It can be extremely disheartening and a terrible experience for patients who have doctors like this, who are extremely poor at communicating. I think most of the people who go into medicine primarily for the money put little effort in connecting with their patients and this contributes to patient discomfort.

There is nothing wrong with choosing a job based on monetary stability, self satisfaction will not pay the bills. I think the biggest concern about people who go into medicine PRIMARILY for the monetary stability is the lack of emotion they put into their work, which for MDs is patients. I am currently doing an internship at Bellevue hospital in NYC and I've seen and talked with a lot of doctors and nurses that genuinely care about the patients and I've met a few doctors and nurses that interact with the patients as little as possible. It can be extremely disheartening and a terrible experience for patients who have doctors like this, who are extremely poor at communicating. I think most of the people who go into medicine primarily for the money put little effort in connecting with their patients and this contributes to patient discomfort.
Meh, there are all kinds of people in all kinds of fields. I've had cashiers, plumbers, and taxi drivers that I liked... and ones I did not. However, do you know what I cared more about than whether I liked them? Whether they did their job effectively. I want a cashier who is fast and knows what my various bags of produce are, a plumber who can fix a leak without costing me a lot of money, and a taxi driver who takes me the most direct and efficient route. Do I ultimately care if these people genuinely care about me? No. Yes, it's nice to have a pleasant chat with someone, but it doesn't have to be synonymous with them doing a good job.

Of course proper communication is certainly important to being an effective physician, but this can lack the personalized chitchat some patients want. Some of the most effective clinicians I know often happen to be the ones I don't particularly like.

Edit: And to answer the original question, I want to be a doctor because ... I know it's what I want to do. I've been exposed to many fields, and medicine is the only one that makes me excited to get up in the morning! I like interacting with people, being on my feet, and feeling like I can do something effective with my knowledge.

Last edited:
Meh, there are all kinds of people in all kinds of fields. I've had cashiers, plumbers, and taxi drivers that I liked... and ones I did not. However, do you know what I cared more about than whether I liked them? Whether they did their job effectively. I want a cashier who is fast and knows what my various bags of produce are, a plumber who can fix a leak without costing me a lot of money, and a taxi driver who takes me the most direct and efficient route. Do I ultimately care if these people genuinely care about me? No. Yes, it's nice to have a pleasant chat with someone, but it doesn't have to be synonymous with them doing a good job.

Of course proper communication is certainly important to being an effective physician, but this can lack the personalized chitchat some patients want. Some of the most effective clinicians I know often happen to be the ones I don't particularly like.

Edit: And to answer the original question, I want to be a doctor because ... I know it's what I want to do. I've been exposed to many fields, and medicine is the only one that makes me excited to get up in the morning! I like interacting with people, being on my feet, and feeling like I can do something effective with my knowledge.

Your post reminded me of this scene.

Job stability, flexibility of the degree if I ever get tired of clinical medicine, and the opportunity to hopefully occasionally connect with and help some people with my job.

We'll see if any of this stuff ends up being true or worth the effort.

Everyone wants to go into medicine for power, respect, prestige, stability, and money. Because it is human nature to avoid feeling like a jackass, we tell ourselves things like:

1. Medicine is my calling.
2. I want to help people.
3. I like science.
4. I couldn't see myself doing anything else.

MD Class of 2017

Everyone wants to go into medicine for power, respect, prestige, stability, and money. Because it is human nature to avoid feeling like a jackass, we tell ourselves things like:

3. I like science.

MD Class of 2017

How does wanting a Stable job make you feel like a jackass? And your statement is an overgeneralized statement. Not everyone falls Into this category.

How does wanting a Stable job make you feel like a jackass? And your statement is an overgeneralized statement. Not everyone falls Into this category.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1405407324.310234.jpg

MD Class of 2017

3. I like science.

Never a bad idea to do a double check on one's own motivations. In many things in life, not only the choice of medicine, we can fool ourselves. Sometimes we are really convinced that we care about our destiny, our acts and our integrity but when we look closer, we see that we are doing what leads to the worst, sometimes, for ourselves and for people and for the world. And we do that unconsciously or semi-unconsciously. Never a bad idea to do a double check on our motivations.

MD Class of 2017

oups I mixed my answer with the quote. my answer is

Never a bad idea to do a double check on one's own motivations. In many things in life, not only the choice of medicine, we can fool ourselves. Sometimes we are really convinced that we care about our destiny, our acts and our integrity but when we look closer, we see that we are doing what leads to the worst, sometimes, for ourselves and for people and for the world. And we do that unconsciously or semi-unconsciously. Never a bad idea to do a double check on our motivations.

I see what you're saying and I agree with that, however, at least in my opinion, I think most patients are in a very vulnerable and scared state when they are in a hospital. So when the physician expresses their genuine concern for them, I think that can go a long way. This doesn't require chitchat or small talk, just the way the physicians address the patients, the tone they use, and body language says a lot.