Why not DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lonemavericks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a doubt to clear? Why is that all international students take the International Dental Program? Is it just because it if of shorter timespan? Can international students take DAT and then enroll in the 4 yr DDS program? The only disadvantage i seen is extra 2 years. it is cheaper than the international programs and you end up with the same degree and if you get any positions etc u will pay only instate fees which is still lesser? let me know what you think

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is a nice idea and much easier with less competition to take the DAT and the four years

Do u have any info about this issue

I think it is a nice idea and much easier with less competition to take the DAT and the four years

Do u have any info about this issue

Not yet. Am investigating the possibility :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, for that you will also need to enroll in predental courses and take all the necessary prerequisites. The preprofessional GPA is an important requirement in almost all the schools. That means additionsl 2/3 yrs of study.

As far as I know, for that you will also need to enroll in predental courses and take all the necessary prerequisites. The preprofessional GPA is an important requirement in almost all the schools. That means additionsl 2/3 yrs of study.

Ok what if we have a dental degree from outside of usa and a masters degree from usa. I think it will take of the prerequsites.

If u have a masters in scientific disciple , some credits may be transfered to required courses, but you would have seldom taken Organic chemistry, eng composition etc so they need to be repeated.

Someone said lesser competition that way, I think its more competetive. You may comp some of those req cousrses maybe at a community college as a bachlers degree is not expected and your prev dental degree is good enough but u must comp other req credits that can be transfered to meet req for req credits.

4 years program is an advantage as u can practice in any state . Although most of people are in misconception and think they can practice anywhere in united states with int dentist program thats not true some states still need 4 year study in an accredited school.

4 years program is an advantage as u can practice in any state . Although most of people are in misconception and think they can practice anywhere in united states with int dentist program thats not true some states still need 4 year study in an accredited school.

Would you please tell us which states that we can't practice in with FTD program?

You can practice in like 25 states but not in follwing states with FTD

AK, AR, AZ, CO, DE, DC, HI, ID, IN, KS, MD, ME, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, RI, SC, UT, VI, WV, WY, KY, LA, MD, MS, TN, TX.

The prerequisites will not be waived. You can transfer some of your grades depending on indvidual school. But the remaining credits you will have to take any way. Since you are competing with American students, the criteria of selction should be same for everyone, right? Thats why there is separate foreign dentist program which is only for foreign dental graduates.

You can practice in like 25 states but not in follwing states with FTD

AK, AR, AZ, CO, DE, DC, HI, ID, IN, KS, MD, ME, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, RI, SC, UT, VI, WV, WY, KY, LA, MD, MS, TN, TX.

Plz check this. Its from ADA website.

http://www.ada.org/sections/professionalResources/pdfs/licensure_state_requirements_intl.pdf

Most of the states require a DDS/DMD degree which anyway the foreign dentist will have once they graduate from foreign dentist program. No where they mention about a 4 yrs of dental study from an accredited school.

Read the bottom of that page it says clearly that some states req 4 year education

Also verify same facts going to that states dental association website as ultimately u apply to state for license

In texas maryland KY U nned to have a speciality , Iam very sure abt same

Members don't see this ad :)
In texas maryland KY U nned to have a speciality , Iam very sure abt same

I think your information are inaccurate:

For Ky ( which is the state that I live in and work as DA), having 2 years of post graduate or specialty is just for FTD who graduated form non CODA accredited dental school. But if you are a graduate of CODA accredited dental school you don't need tow years of post graduate study or a specialty. They have many types of initial initial licensure, first licensure by examination the requirments are:

"to be eligible to apply for licensure by examination, you must meet the following requirements with no exceptions:
  • You must be a graduate of a CODA accredited dental school, college, or department of a university
  • You must have successfully completed Part I and Part II of the National Board Dental Examination
You must have successfully passed within the five (5) years preceding the filing of your application one of the following regional clinical examinations: CITA, CRDTS, NERB, SRTA, or WREB"

And the licensure by credentials, the requirments are:

"To be eligible to apply for licensure by credentials, you must meet the following requirements with no exceptions:
  • You must be a graduate of a CODA accredited dental school, college, or department of a university
  • You must have successfully completed Part I and Part II of the National Board Dental Examination
  • You must have successfully passed a state, regional, or national clinical examination used to determine clinical competency in a state or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia
You must submit the affidavit below stating that you have legally been engaged in the practice of dentistry for five (5) of the past six (6) years in a state or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia if the qualifications for licensure were equal to or higher than those for licensure in Kentucky"

And Student limited licensure, the requirements are:

"Student limited licensure is available for individuals who have been accepted into a postgraduate, residency, or fellowship program in the Commonwealth of Kentucky but who do not meet the eligibility requirements for full licensure. Individuals may apply for student limited licensure if they hold a dental degree from a non-CODA accredited insititution, if they have not successfully completed the National Board Part I and II examinations, or if they have not succesfully completed one of the five regional clinical examinations required for licensure by exam.
Student limited licenses automatically expire upon your exit from a postgraduate, residency, or fellowship program in Kentucky. If your program continues past the effective date of your license, you must renew your license on time. Your program may fulfill your continuing education requirements, but does not exempt you from being subject to a continuing education audit.
Student limited license holders may only practice in conjunction with programs of the dental school where they are a student.
Applicants must prove that they meet the requirements of Sections 1 and 4 of 201 KAR 8:530E by submitting the documentation described in the following instruction checklist. Additionally, applicants must submit a signed Statement Regarding Student Licensure Limitations, available below."

and a licensurefor FTD' the requirements are:

"To be eligible to apply for full licensure as a foreign trained dentist (i.e., trained at a non-CODA accredited institution), you must meet the following requirements with no exceptions:

• You must have successfully completed two (2) years of post-graduate training in a CODA accredited general dentistry program
  • You must have successfully passed within the five (5) years preceding the filing of your application one of the following regional clinical examinations: CITA, CRDTS, NERB, SRTA, or WREB
Additionally, you must prove that you meet the requirements of 201 KAR 8:530E Section 6 by submitting the documentation described in the following instruction checklist."

But if you have a DMD or DDS degree you are not a FTD any more. In addition they don't mention the years of study, they just said
"You must be a graduate of a CODA accredited dental school, college, or department of a university"

You can check these info on the board web site
http://dentistry.ky.gov/dentists/licensure.htm

Last edited:
Well to be more precise your status would be a foreign trained dentist who comp 2 years predoctoral education from CODA accredited college . Though u graduate with DDS . yOUR FIRST 2 YEAR COURSE WORK IS A transfer frm a foreign institute .

Graduate fron CODA accredited school here means one who comp all 4 year coursework from CODA accredted school.
Your status will be foreign trained dentist who comp two years predoctoral education at accredted school to graduate with DMD.

You can verify same with ur state board as well.

Like in illinois you can comp pre or postdoctoral edu and practice either with DDS OR A speciality but in these states like TX , KY you have to comply with their policies that involve a post doc speciality only for foreign trained dentist.

You can see same req in the ADA LINK AS well where it clearly states 2 years postdoc

then there is seperate list that says predoc or postdoc for illinois, washington

Hope that makes it clear.

its also clearly stated in ADA link

Iam quoting same

Based on the information in the chart, the following summary is provided. Please see the chart for more complete information about a state.
Requires two years of pre-doctoral education that results in a DDS or DMD degree: AL, CA, FL, CT, FL, GA, IL, IA, MI, MO, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, PR, SD, VT (at least one year), VA, WA. Some of these states may accept a diploma, degree or certificate upon completion of the program-FL, IA, MI, NY, VA.
Requires two years of post-doctoral education: KY, LA, MD-pediatric dentistry only, MS, TN, TX
Accepts 12-month advanced education program (AEGD, GPR) in general dentistry: VA, WI
Accepts two years of pre-or post-doctoral education: IL, MI, OR, VA, WA, WI
Requires graduation from an accredited program with a DDS or DMD degree (four years): AK, AR, AZ, CO, DE, DC, HI, ID, IN, KS, MD, ME, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, RI, SC, UT, VI, WV and WY.
clerarly states 4 year req
Other:

Well to be more precise your status would be a foreign trained dentist who comp 2 years predoctoral education from CODA accredited college . Though u graduate with DDS . yOUR FIRST 2 YEAR COURSE WORK IS A transfer frm a foreign institute .

Graduate fron CODA accredited school here means one who comp all 4 year coursework from CODA accredted school.
Your status will be foreign trained dentist who comp two years predoctoral education at accredted school to graduate with DMD.

You can verify same with ur state board as well.

Like in illinois you can comp pre or postdoctoral edu and practice either with DDS OR A speciality but in these states like TX , KY you have to comply with their policies that involve a post doc speciality only for foreign trained dentist.

You can see same req in the ADA LINK AS well where it clearly states 2 years postdoc

then there is seperate list that says predoc or postdoc for illinois, washington

Hope that makes it clear.

I will contact the state board to check this out with them.

Thanks for your clarification.:)

some universities could consider us for regular DDS program and accept NBDE 1 instead of DAT

Folks I will sincerely appreciate it if we address the original question.

In addition, Does anyone know how course credit from BDS foreign degree is transferred for eligibility to apply to a 4 year DDS program.

Coming from an American student who completed undergrad here...I just wanted to let you know what pre-reqs are required from us in order to be accepted into the 4 year program - 2 courses in english composition (6 credits), Physics 1 and 2 with lab (8 credits), General Chemistry 1 and 2 with lab (8 credits), statistics/Calculus 1 (3-4 credits) Organic chemistry 1 and 2 with lab (8 credits), Biology pre-reqs - Cell Biology, Microbiology, Anatomy and physiology, general Biology 1 and 2, some schools in addition require Biochemistry. Pre-req Courses taken at a community college are not recognized by a lot of dental schools hence complete these from an accredited 4 year university only (for this am assuming most of you will need SAT/ACT in order to be accepted into a university), then once you complete your pre-reqs from a US school you can sit for the DAT and apply to US dental schools. It may be harder in terms of competition. Avg GPA for admittance hovers around a 3.5 overall and 3.5 for sci with DAT score of 20 (90th percentile)...good luck..

Iam quoting same

Based on the information in the chart, the following summary is provided. Please see the chart for more complete information about a state.
Requires two years of pre-doctoral education that results in a DDS or DMD degree: AL, CA, FL, CT, FL, GA, IL, IA, MI, MO, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, PR, SD, VT (at least one year), VA, WA. Some of these states may accept a diploma, degree or certificate upon completion of the program-FL, IA, MI, NY, VA.
Requires two years of post-doctoral education: KY, LA, MD-pediatric dentistry only, MS, TN, TX
Accepts 12-month advanced education program (AEGD, GPR) in general dentistry: VA, WI
Requires graduation from an accredited program with a DDS or DMD degree (four years): AK, AR, AZ, CO, DE, DC, HI, ID, IN, KS, MD, ME, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, RI, SC, UT, VI, WV and WY.
Other:[/QUOT

I know this forum is for a long time ago, but i just found the topic interesting so i came to see what's wrong with this idea! Thank you for your gr8 info. Reading the line in purple, brought up a question in my mind; does the pre-doctoral education mean that an international dentist can take pre-dental school courses and then practice as a dentist?!! in other words, what is predoctoral education?! can you give me an example?!

Iam quoting same

Other:[/QUOT

I know this forum is for a long time ago, but i just found the topic interesting so i came to see what's wrong with this idea! Thank you for your gr8 info. Reading the line in purple, brought up a question in my mind; does the pre-doctoral education mean that an international dentist can take pre-dental school courses and then practice as a dentist?!! in other words, what is predoctoral education?! can you give me an example?!
Pre doctoral education means the courses you would be taking in Dental school towards a doctoral degree. Pre - dental courses lead to a bachelors....so 2 years of pre doctoral education is what leads to doctorate degree in the United States. An advanced degree in dentistry (Masters programs) may qualify for this if they are 2 years long.