Why not hinder (not eliminate) lipase production or have selective lipase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zut212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that by doing this (i.e. hindering the pancreas from producing lipase), that the person will get diarrhea, and possibly lose water, IMHO.

However, could this be an effective way for weight loss and reducing cholesterol?

Another idea: Since enzymes are notoriously selective, why not have a "unsaturated fats lipase" which only breaks up unsaturated fats, but it leaves saturated fats intact? This would be a god-send to those trying to reduce cholesterol and maintain a healthy heart.

Members don't see this ad.

I realize that by doing this (i.e. hindering the pancreas from producing lipase), that the person will get diarrhea, and possibly lose water, IMHO.

However, could this be an effective way for weight loss and reducing cholesterol?

Another idea: Since enzymes are notoriously selective, why not have a "unsaturated fats lipase" which only breaks up unsaturated fats, but it leaves saturated fats intact? This would be a god-send to those trying to reduce cholesterol and maintain a healthy heart.

because this enzyme is notoriously selective for ester bonds on TGs.

Another godsend would be eating less saturated fats and exercising more.

Localizing enzymes and delivering them timely is high level science. I guess this would be easy enough being in the stomach/intestines, but still.