1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Why not Ortho Spin and not Neuro?

Discussion in 'Orthopaedic Surgery' started by collegefreak12, Feb 24, 2007.

1. collegefreak12

2+ Year Member

The residency for ortho is 5 years, but it is 7 for neuro. So, if one would want to do spine things, isn't it smarter to just do a residency in ortho, then fellowship in spine instead of 7 years neuro residency + 1 for spine? If so, why do people go into neuro for spine surgery?

2. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dude, you're in college. Chill out. Cross this bridge when you get here.

(it might also help if you could spell neuro).

There are enough differences between orthopaedics and neurosurgery that you should be figure out where you belong.

As others have pointed out, spine reimbursement is likely to drop (things will definitely be different by the time you are practicing). Bottom line: pick what you ENJOY doing and you cannot go wrong.

3. Tired

Tired Fading away
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, and it's called "Spine" not "Spin". Why are you still lurking here? Run over the pre-allo where you can worry about passing the MCAT.

That being said.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=351041

Seriously, search function. Worst of all, this thread is on the front page of the Ortho section.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. markneil

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well i would assume that people usually consider factors like....neurosurgeons don't operate on broken bones or that orthopedic surgeons don't fix chiari malformations or do aneurysm clippings...if you get my point.

5. PediBoneDoc

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    there are some basic differences between neuro and ortho spine
    neuro spine tends to focus more on decompression
    ortho more on fusion

orthopods see more back pain, neurosurgeons see more nerve associated problems (stenosis and radiculopathy); most neurosurgeons are not as comfortable with boney work and orthopaedic surgeons with cord work; ortho usually does the deformity (scoliosis), and neuro the skull based work

the difference between neuro and ortho spine surgeons is closing and tends to be more regional and in some places has to do with the history at the particular hospital ...

if you are in college now, it shouldn't be a concern ... get into medical school and go from there. If you have an interest in spine work, find out who does it at your local hospital and see if you can hang out with them ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Debridement

Debridement Member
    2+ Year Member

i don't get your point.

7. markneil

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    haha. i apologize. i meant that i and others would not go into a specialty just because it cuts a couple of years off from doing a fellowship. if i wanted to be a neurosurgeon with spine then i would do a neurosurgery residency as opposed to an ortho residency and vice versa.

8. Clevername

Clevername Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

To all grade-schoolers: stop looking at physician salary reports.

Even preschoolers want to be spine surgeons these days.

Geez.