Why Patient “Satisfaction” Could Be Making You Sick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished a month of Peds EM...but I have to admit I was flabbergasted by how much time and mental effort was spent on customer service...So what is the administration's motivation here?

Why Patient “Satisfaction” Could Be Making You Sick

All patients should be treated with professionalism and respect. We all want our patients leaving our care happy, healthy and satisfied, if at all possible. However, sometimes patients don’t leave an Emergency Department very happy or satisfied. Sometimes the doctor could have prevented it, but many if not most times, such dissatisfaction has little if anything to do with what the treating physician did, or didn’t do. The reasons for a patient being dissatisfied with a particular healthcare encounter can be very complex. It’s not so simple as to just include a line in a survey such as, “Were you satisfied with your doctor?” Who should be held responsible for the results of these surveys, is where the crux of this debate lies.

"So what is the administration's motivation here [with patient satisfaction]?" asks Perrotfish.

It's the same reason Walmart puts greeters at the front door (the ED), not the back door (in-patient floors) and the same reason the Government collects taxes and not sea shells: Money. The question we really need to be asking is:

Why is the obsession with patient satisfaction in the ED so soul-crushing to those that work there?

1-Lack of Control

A patient pulls into the ED parking lot. The lot is full. He doesn’t feel well, he’s in a hurry and having to search for a parking spot irritates him. The wait to see a doctor is long, too long. Once finally in his room, he sees a drop of blood on the floor from the previous patient. He's disgusted. Despite great care by the doctor, it biases his overall view of the experience. As much as he tries to remain objective, the patient satisfaction score suffers. The patient gives a "1 star out of 5" review after discharge, but writes in the comments, "Doctor and nurse were great, though!" The tabulated score remains 1/5, or “FAIL.” The doctor gets pulled aside at her next group meeting and is told she's on watch due to low scores. She's never been fired from a job in her life, but now her job is in jeopardy, over something which she has no control.

A patient leaves an ED satisfied. He gets a patient satisfaction survey and throws it aside. He has no need for it. The visit went great. It's his preferred hospital for anytime he gets in a bar fight and needs to be sewed up. He got in, got his knuckles stitched, and got a free Sierra mist and a meal tray. On his way out the door, he tweets, "#CityGeneralERrocks!" on his smart phone to the world’s prospective ER “customers.” Six weeks later, all has healed well, and there's barely a scar. Then, the bill comes. "!&@!?#€!!!," he thinks. "$920? Screw that place!" He grabs the survey and nukes the hospital, doctor and nurse all with the lowest score possible. He writes in the comments, "I would have rated you a 'negative infinity' if the scale went that low!"

You can save a life, walk out of the trauma bay drained but proud, and be pulled aside and told that on last months survey, you didn't get a patient a coffee "like they do at the car dealership." You are told, "Get those scores up. Administration is watching." It translates into, "You suck." It's not that big of a deal, right? Maybe you should brush it off, but you are human. You haven't "evolved" to the “new way” yet. You’ve heard of ER doctors losing their group contracts and therefore their jobs over things like this. It bothers you.

There's a complete and utter lack of control, and this can be utterly demoralizing to some people, particularly those who thinks of themselves as doctors, not "providers." Some may not be bothered. These are the new generation of ER doctors. Thick skin: Carbon-fiber re-enforced alligator hide. An un-embittered new species of ER doctor evolved to thrive in his new and changing environment. He goes in each room armed with an EMR tablet, a $5 Starbucks gift, and a devastating smile.

I imagine one would feel more in control owning and operating a hot dog stand in the chaos of Times Square. An angry customer tells you your buns are flat (no pun intended). His rant doesn't frustrate you, in fact, you welcome it. This informal "customer satisfaction survey" has given you a valuable nugget of information to make your hot dogs and buns tastier, and make your business grow. You cut through his dissatisfaction with a smile and say, "Thank you for telling me, sir. I'm sorry. It'll never happen again," and you can actually mean it. Fluff those buns up and 2014 will be a profitable year!

Sometimes a patient voices frustration in a survey despite your best efforts to be nice, helpful, professional and clinically astute. This may be due to factors out of your control regarding ER wait times, a large hospital bill, dirt on the waiting room floor, or a rude staffer that wasn't you. If the results are used against you, it is very difficult to smile and say, "It'll never happen again. I'll do better next time.” You didn't make it happen, and you have little if any ability to make it better next time. You're already nice to your patients, do your best to help them and treat them with respect. There's tremendous cognitive and emotional dissonance there. Things like this can end careers and fuel burnout in a big way. Such things are the undercurrents that cause doctors to go work for insurance companies, as non-clinical consultants, or just plain move on.

2-Fundamental Unfairness

I think it was said best by commenter #8 Doctor Amy, a hospitalist, in the comments section after a previous post I wrote on the subject,

"Hospitalists feel much the same way as you do...The patients are essentially asked if the doctor 'always' did everything perfectly – the vagueness of the question should automatically invalidate the response...the hospitalist may well have spent a great deal of time doing just that – making sure all the home meds are correct, arranging rehab, taking care of the fall at 3am, controlling pain meds, actually addressing code status…etc. The sat scores are not parceled out in a way to delineate any of that data. We are told we suck. Maybe we do…but this data sure as hell isn’t a valid way to show that."

While only being only one person and only one component of any given patient’s perception of their hospital encounter, Doctor Amy has obviously felt the weight of being held responsible for the dozens, if not hundreds of intangible factors that make up a patient’s overall satisfaction, or lack thereof. Being held responsible for factors over which one has no control, is fundamentally unfair, and as such only depresses morale amongst those involved. Poor physician and staff morale certainly can’t be good for patients, let alone hospital “business.”

3-Bad For Patients (Violation of our Oath)

This is definitely the biggest and least acceptable reason, and the one that bothers me the most. This is the one that leaves us no excuse for looking the other way: our patients. You went to school for decades, indebted yourself $166,000, worked 100-hour weeks in residency (even though you only logged 79 so your program wouldn't get sacked by ACGME) all because at age 16 you decided idealistically you wanted to be a doctor to "help people." Then you find out, that according to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), the patient "satisfaction" obsession you're coerced to participate in not only increases health care costs, but is associated with higher death rates with the purpose of increasing corporate profits, not for yourself as an Emergency Physician, but for “the men in suits.” There is unwelcome pressure to treat viruses with antibiotics to keep patients happy, irradiate the brains of children with unnecessary CT scans to satisfy anxious parents and prescribe medications to people seeking to fuel dangerous addictions. "Evidence based medicine" is good enough for Medicare, private insurers and malpractice lawyers to demand it, yet it's not “good enough” to stop the harmful practice of satisfaction-survey obsessed medicine. If you think this is just opinion without evidence, read:

JAMA: "Conclusion: In a nationally representative sample, higher patient satisfaction was associated with...increased mortality."

The current system pressures doctors to violate their oath to "do no harm.” It forces doctors to consciously and regularly make this decision,

"Should I do what I think is best for my patient and possibly lose my job, or violate my oath and practice bad medicine to boost survey scores, to avoid being fired?"

Did we sign up for this?

(Read More)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This should be mandatory reading for policy makers.

Members don't see this ad :)
This should be mandatory reading for policy makers.

...and more importantly, for patients. How long would they normally tolerate a healthcare practice that is linked to increased death rates, yet has become standard of care?

I think the critical take home point is that just like smoking cigarettes, satisfaction-survey obsessed medicine is associated with higher mortality. Although the basic unfairness of how the practice is being applied to physicians is also very important, the only thing that will produce any traction for change is if the harm to patients can be made public knowledge, and the JAMA study replicated again, and again, and again, and publicized as much as possible.

I also propose a critical name change. It should not be called "Patient Satisfaction." That is a misnomer and implies that it is an inherently good practice. As we see with the JAMA study, the practice is linked to higher mortality. A more appropriate name is,

"Satisfaction Survey Obsessed Medicine."

This has more truthful implications. Since the link to higher death rates is being ignored, the focus is obviously on the survey or piece of paper itself, and the patient as a whole is being ignored.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it.

P.S.-- under section 4, 'Self Preservation', paragraph one, sentence two, you wrote 'heath' instead of 'health'.

I enjoyed it.

P.S.-- under section 4, 'Self Preservation', paragraph one, sentence two, you wrote 'heath' instead of 'health'.

Thanks. Got it. Can I send you my posts for proofreading next time?

Not sure if serious or if annoyed at nitpicking.

Half joking, but not annoyed at all. Whitecoat doesn't proofread my stuff that much anymore so trying to find little typos like that is torture, especially since I'm no more a "writer" than anyone else on here. I'd rather someone point them out right away so I can fix them.

I am thinking of writing a book, though. I think I've got one good one in me, if I ever get the time. Parts of it are unfolding right here before your eyes, if anyone cares.

Half joking, but not annoyed at all. Whitecoat doesn't proofread my stuff that much anymore so trying to find little typos like that is torture, especially since I'm no more a "writer" than anyone else on here. I'd rather someone point them out right away so I can fix them.

I am thinking of writing a book, though. I think I've got one good one in me, if I ever get the time. Parts of it are unfolding right here before your eyes, if anyone cares.

I guess the big question then would be whether or not it would be under a pseudonym. Also, can't edit a book to "." Lol.

I guess the big question then would be whether or not it would be under a pseudonym. Also, can't edit a book to "." Lol.

Pseudonym? Yes, "The Life and Times of Birdstrike MD."

It will be an ebook, and I'm going to self publish it online. An ebook absolutely can be edited to "." and vaporized in an instant. LOL. I reserve that right.

It will be comprised of some of the patient stories and speeches I've posted here, weaved into a plot of epic ridiculousness.

This world desperately needs a sequel to House of God for the new millennium.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with everything as usual. I've never really bought into chasing patient satisfaction, and my scores are always on the low-end for that reason. I don't give the inappropriate antibiotics, do unwarranted X-rays, or scan a kid's head just to make parents happy.

Unfortunately this is not going away, and in fact is going to get worse with the continued centralization of medical payment. The government is going to use "Patient Satisfaction" increasingly as a tool to deny or reduce payments to doctors and hospitals. They'll claim it's because they are "rewarding quality" but in reality they are just cutting costs.

Can any of us say that once we get really financially squeezed, we won't give in and bow to the altar of patient satisfaction?

Agree with everything as usual. I've never really bought into chasing patient satisfaction, and my scores are always on the low-end for that reason. I don't give the inappropriate antibiotics, do unwarranted X-rays, or scan a kid's head just to make parents happy.

Unfortunately this is not going away, and in fact is going to get worse with the continued centralization of medical payment. The government is going to use "Patient Satisfaction" increasingly as a tool to deny or reduce payments to doctors and hospitals. They'll claim it's because they are "rewarding quality" but in reality they are just cutting costs.

Can any of us say that once we get really financially squeezed, we won't give in and bow to the altar of patient satisfaction?

Thanks. Apparently, you're not the only one that agrees. The OP has gone completely

V I R A L

over on KevinMD with 1,200 Facebook likes and counting in only 48 hr. Just sayin' what other people are thinkin'.

#GoodMedicine>Greed

#Hippocrates>hypocrites

Last edited:
If a majority of doctors agree, then why can't we do something about it?

If the big "Physician-owned" groups all got together and agreed that they wouldn't be bound by Press-Ganey, it would really muscle the hospitals and they would be forced to change. My 5-year experience with one of these groups demonstrated that the managing physicians never say what they really feel about Press-Ganey and just constantly give lip-service to "quality" and "customer service". Unfortunately the guys running these groups are all a bunch of opportunistic tools who would rather throw their line docs under the bus, than risk their positions and bonuses.

Last edited:
Some sort of patient satisfaction measurement is going to be hard to get away from completely.

But the measurement of patient satisfaction doesn't have to be through the scientifically discredited Press Ganey. Either Press Ganey need to get their act together and improve their methods, or they need to be kicked out of the ER and other methods from other firms used - or create your own. It's a free market, after all. Obamacare doesn't mandate Press Ganey.

The OP from this thread:

Has 8,400 and growing Facebook likes over on KevinMD.com

Absolutely blowing UP.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/11/focus-patient-satisfaction-sick.html

Reading the comments over there is interesting (70+). Almost everyone commenting is in agreement. It's the same with the twitter shares. Even the patients and non-medical commenters are overwhelmingly in support. And trust me, I'm no stranger to taking nasty artillery fire from commenters in some of my posts that have been cross-posted over there.

I agree completely with the thread, but sadly there is little we will ever be able to do about this. It is not going away. In fact, CMS will be implementing HCAHPS-ER in October of 2015, which means yes - our reimbursement will be directly tied to government-driven survey results. Press-Ganey may not carry the weight it does, in the form it does, but the government will be watching directly. Buckle Up!