Why patients love the Ashton Manual

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AD04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm weaning patients off of benzodiazepines. They bring up the Ashton Manual. I do a search on SDN about it. Most of the people who refer to the manual are patients. Why is her work so popular among patients?

It is the gentlest way to quit? Or does it have the most success?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm weaning patients off of benzodiazepines. They bring up the Ashton Manual. I do a search on SDN about it. Most of the people who refer to the manual are patients. Why is her work so popular among patients?

There is an evidence-based treatment manual (with therapist manual and patient workbook) published by Oxford U. Press (in their Treatments that Work series) entitled, "Stopping Anxiety Medications" that may be useful. Otto & Pollack, 2009. Can be found on Amazon or on Oxford Press website under their Treatments that Work series.

from the webpage introduction:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM PROFESSOR ASHTON, JANUARY 2007

Professor Ashton would like to draw attention to the following points which are mentioned in the manual but not always heeded by doctors or patients:

1. It is worth pointing out to your prescriber that the withdrawal schedules provided in the manual are only intended as general guides. The rate of tapering should never be rigid but should be flexible and controlled by the patient, not the doctor, according to the patient's individual needs which are different in every case.

The decision to withdraw is also the patient's decision and should not be forced by the doctor.
  2. Note that alcohol acts like benzodiazepines and should be used, if at all, in strict moderation as advised in this manual.

3. Antibiotics for some reason, sometimes seem to aggravate withdrawal symptoms. However, one class of antibiotics, the quinolones, actually displace benzodiazepines from their binding sites on GABA-receptors. These can precipitate acute withdrawal in people taking or tapering from benzodiazepines. It may be necessary to take antibiotics during benzodiazepine withdrawal but if possible the quinolones should be avoided. (There are at least six different quinolones - ask your doctor if in doubt).

C. H. Ashton, January 2007

I didn't bold anything But you can see why they like it. lolol. Ashton sounds like a ******* who probably abuses BZDs herself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ashton sounds like a ******* who probably abuses BZDs herself.

The BNF guidelines on benzo withdrawal are based on her research. If you can't bring yourself to read some of her published work, you could perhaps watch some of her lectures on YouTube. She is not a *******.

If you read the aforementioned book up above by another poster (Stopping Anxiety Medications), it also advises gaining agreement between the prescribing doctor, the therapist, and the patient.

from the webpage introduction:

I didn't bold anything But you can see why they like it. lolol. Ashton sounds like a ******* who probably abuses BZDs herself.

That was uncalled for, mate. She is an Emeritus who has published extensively about benzodiazepines. You could have done a simple journal search prior to posting something that makes you look ignorant. I'm not saying I agree with her recommendations or that I don't, but the ad hominem attack was unnecessary.

Reactions: 3 users
Personally I think putting a whole lot of power into the hands of a patient and a lot of appreciation of their individual experience in a benzodiazepine taper are extremely good things. The clinician also has a duty to advocate for safety, evidence, and navigate behaviors that are driven by addiction. I am personally not experienced using the manual or any other, but I am not alarmed by the quoted text. I wish it were more in line with empowering the patient and centralizing their experience but that actual decisions are based on an informed partnership.

Reactions: 3 users
I value the guidance on tapering benzodiazepines. But I strongly disagree with Ashton that tapering benzodiazepines is solely the patients decision. First, people with addiction and co-morbid mental illness with limited insight cannot be expected to think logically and clearly about how much their substance of choice is harming them on their own. Secondly, the patient is not the one who swore to do no harm and is certainly not the one held accountable both legally and professionally when injury or death occur as a result of prescribing benzodiazepines. Third, most patients I see who have dependence on benzos also have co-morbid dependence to prescribed opiates, alcohol, or other substances, thus increasing the likelihood of a bad outcome for which the physician will certainly be blamed. Fourth, patients, because they are not medically trained, don't even know where to start the process of weaning off benzos. So they do what people with anxiety usually do to cope: avoid confronting the issue.

This idea that the physician must prescribe a dangerous controlled substance unless the patient is completely free of any discomfort is backward, and exactly how epidemic over prescribing is enabled, as we are seeing with the opiate epidemic. The physician must lead the conversation toward health, not merely enable drug dependence. Collaboration is certainly the ideal, but it must be recognized that sometimes the best a doctor can do for his or her patient is to say "No."

Reactions: 9 users

I tapered off of a long term (8-10 years) Xanax dependency using the Ashton Manual, under the guidance of a Psychiatrist and a GP. I found it highly effective and nowhere near as difficult in terms of withdrawal symptoms as just tapering directly off the Xanax itself. When it says (paraphrased) 'let the patient guide the taper', it doesn't mean 'cater to the patient's every whim so that they're still tapering 5 years down the track'. Most of the time when I wanted to slow the taper down, my Doctor would encourage me not to and only very occasionally agree to meet me in the middle somewhere if she could see I was going through a temporary rough patch. I'd been trying for a couple of years to taper off of Xanax without success, before doing the Ashton Manual method (I didn't even know that's what it was at the time). It worked for me, and from personal experience it is something I recommend other patients looking to come of BZD's discuss with their own Doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
I value the guidance on tapering benzodiazepines. But I strongly disagree with Ashton that tapering benzodiazepines is solely the patients decision. First, people with addiction and co-morbid mental illness with limited insight cannot be expected to think logically and clearly about how much their substance of choice is harming them on their own. Secondly, the patient is not the one who swore to do no harm and is certainly not the one held accountable both legally and professionally when injury or death occur as a result of prescribing benzodiazepines. Third, most patients I see who have dependence on benzos also have co-morbid dependence to prescribed opiates, alcohol, or other substances, thus increasing the likelihood of a bad outcome for which the physician will certainly be blamed. Fourth, patients, because they are not medically trained, don't even know where to start the process of weaning off benzos. So they do what people with anxiety usually do to cope: avoid confronting the issue.

This idea that the physician must prescribe a dangerous controlled substance unless the patient is completely free of any discomfort is backward, and exactly how epidemic over prescribing is enabled, as we are seeing with the opiate epidemic. The physician must lead the conversation toward health, not merely enable drug dependence. Collaboration is certainly the ideal, but it must be recognized that sometimes the best a doctor can do for his or her patient is to say "No."

I agree, working collaboratively with a patient should never mean the patient is given full control and leeway over his or her treatment. I think where the Ashton Method does fail is when you have Doctors who don't know how to say no to their patients. It's one thing to make some allowances here and there, but the whole idea behind the Ashton Method is to actually have an end result where a patient is benzo free and not let them just get half way and go 'that's it I'm done'.

Most of the time when I wanted to slow or stop my taper when I was doing the Ashton Method, it was because I'd had a previous seizure from benzo withdrawal and was terrified of that happening again. Those sorts of times the GP who was overseeing the taper, that had been set up by a Psychiatrist, would provide me with some basic counselling and a lot of reassurance and encouragement to keep going, which I did. A few other times she could see there were moments when I really had hit a wall, and that was when we would come to a mutually agreeable decision to allow some leeway for the next week or so, and then I had to get back on track. It was made clear to me from the beginning as well that if I wasn't prepared to listen and work with her, then I would no longer be her patient because she wouldn't support my continuing dependence on a drug that by that stage was severely messing with my head.

Basically, in my opinion, depending on where you're starting from, if you're not benzo free within 2 years max with the Ashton Method then you're doing it wrong.

I have found the Ashton manual to be very helpful in guiding Benzo tapers and often point PCP's and patients to it as well.
It's one of the first Google hits on "benzodiazepine taper" after the Erowid ones, and it's written in a very clear and reassuring manner. So no surprise that patients like it; sometimes things are good even if people like them (see also Johnny Cash)

Reactions: 2 users
Patients have brought this up in my office, and I have treated patients using Dr. Ashton's protocol with some slight modifications. It is well thought out, clear and concise.