Why Physical Therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why did you pick this career path? salary is slow, masters degree is required (total of 6 years of studying) and competitive admission

please feel free to list as many reasons as you can possibly think of. valid reasons :)

Members don't see this ad.

nm, wrong thread.

Last edited:
I'm pre-PT. Actually a doctorate's now pretty much required although there are currently a few quickly fading MPT programs left. I like the personal component to the job. I'd be valued and needed. I can apply my abilities to critique research. I think I'd be very good at it.

There are definitely some areas of concern. The debt to income ratio is daunting, for me at least. The acceptance of the DPT is in question. There is no additional salary to offset the increase in educational costs of the DPT program. While direct access is a great idea, the third payor party has to actually pay for it to really mean anything. Due to the crisis of medicare, it looks as if salary is going to be further adversly affected.

So my primary motivating factor is not money. It does look like there will be plenty of demand for this service for the next twenty to thirty years so I should be able to have a steady income. The regular hours will provide stability for my family. While I enjoy learning about medicine, I know if I pursued the medical school path it would take over my life. I'd feel guilty picking up a novel and reading it because in my mind I should be spending that time reading a medical journal. PT allows me to focus on the quality of life for the patient. I want to see my patients up walking around in the grocery store living life again knowing in my mind that I assisted in that healing process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously if you get into any medical field for the money you are getting into it for the wrong reason, and it will catch up with you. As far as getting into PT, the money is not piddly diddly- I know a bunch of new PT's starting out around 70k, I know the roof is short but thats plenty to live a good life, which is the back bone of why I want to do PT. The quality of life aspect is great- solid hours, solid pay, and you get to make a difference and do something your interested in everyday. I couldn't imagine doing a job that doesn't promote well being of humanity, lifes too short not to.

Obviously if you get into any medical field for the money you are getting into it for the wrong reason, and it will catch up with you.

true, but money is a big factor still. i guess what im wondering now is why would a person spend good seven years studying physical therapy and end up making around 70k (thats if you are lucky) when pharmacists and other medical graduates make twice that amount. i agree that helping other individuals is always a great thing, but again you could help people while earning a better salary. at least to make it worth going through the stress of medical school and paying high tuition.

Last edited:
For me, it's doing something I enjoy doing. When I got my BA 10 years ago I focused on a career that would make the most money - what a mistake. I spent 10 years trying to figure out what I WANT to do. That brought me to PT - I can form a working relationship with my patients, something a pharmacist can't. I can watch a patient make progress, and spend more than 10 minutes with him/her diagnosing a runny nose. I can work in countless settings, and do educational programming, plus have more autonomy that a PA or NP can. The job satisfaction is high, the stress is low - the pay is in line with both of those. Plus - teaching can always supplement the salary.

Before entering undergrad, I knew that I wanted to be involved in the health field. It was the only subject I was truly passionate about. I never seriously considered pursuing the MD track, but up until my 2nd year in undergrad I didn't have any other option in mind. Sometime after, I was fortunate enough to attend a seminar hosted by a nearby PT program. Seeing the speaker so motivated and committed to physical therapy really opened my eyes and I began figuring out a way to get into the field.

Attending that seminar put the idea of PT in my head, but it wasn't until I completed internships and worked as an aide for a year that I truly knew it was the career for me. I guess I have no single reason being in physical therapy, it's hard to put into words. But, I know that I can't imagine myself doing anything else.

true, but money is a big factor still. i guess what im wondering now is why would a person spend good seven years studying physical therapy and end up making around 70k (thats if you are lucky) when pharmacists and other medical graduates make twice that amount. i agree that helping other individuals is always a great thing, but again you could help people while earning a better salary. at least to make it worth going through the stress of medical school and paying high tuition.

The difference is that you might actually like your job better. How many pills in this bottle? 1, 2, 3, ,4 , . . .30. Whats my next task? How many pills in this bottle? 1,2,3,4 . . .

I know that pharmacy is much much more than that but you get the idea. It could be like that or it could be exciting depending upon your setting.

I love PT because every day is different, I get to see and measure changes in patients with concrete beginnings and endings. I get the satisfaction of seeing someone return to the "scene of the crime" and be able to do the thing that got them injured in the first place. (many psychological battles to watch)

If it is about the money, go for the money. Money doesn't buy happiness. I know that is a cliche' but its true. Sure it buys a nice car, vacations, house, toys etc . . . but if you are a doctor and work 80 hours per week, what good is that? Pharmacy to me would be extraordinarily boring to me. PA - anything with the word "assistant" would put me off.

Its personal. Its better to be the best ditchdigger in the world and get paid peanuts if you love digging ditches. If you go for the money and not the love, then you will have a good bank account but never truly be happy.

You guys are right when you say that money is not everythying or that it doesnt buy you happyness. i was only comparing other careers with PT. when i spend seven years of my life studying somthing (thats a long time) and paying high tuition, i would want to be able to earn a descent salary, be happy with my job and always be on demand when i graduate. i dont think that im asking for too much. Some of my family members are medical doctors and they absolutely love being doctors. OK, maybe they do spend 80 hours in hospitals every week, but its not that bad when you enjoy what you do. again, im not trying to be nagative about PT. I'm comparing it with other medical professions. :)

I agree with the post above me.

I've been in school for a very very long time now and when someone offers to give me peanuts I get angry. I've worked just as hard in my opinion as anyone else in any other field. We've all tacked something challenging and tried to be the best at it.

Just to clarify PT is not as in demand as they have you think. I know this because I've spent a few months now looking for a decent job with a decent pay.

When obamacare rolls around and health care funding becomes a federal problem, trust me there won't be a demand for PT anymore. Look at Canada. Hospitals are virtually phasing out PTs as much as possible and replacing with Kinesiologists/PTAs - they have all the knowledge they need to walk patients and get paid half of our salary. Don't think the same thing won't happen in the US.

I agree with the post above me.

I've been in school for a very very long time now and when someone offers to give me peanuts I get angry. I've worked just as hard in my opinion as anyone else in any other field. We've all tacked something challenging and tried to be the best at it.

Just to clarify PT is not as in demand as they have you think. I know this because I've spent a few months now looking for a decent job with a decent pay.

When obamacare rolls around and health care funding becomes a federal problem, trust me there won't be a demand for PT anymore. Look at Canada. Hospitals are virtually phasing out PTs as much as possible and replacing with Kinesiologists/PTAs - they have all the knowledge they need to walk patients and get paid half of our salary. Don't think the same thing won't happen in the US.

With all due respect, kinesiologists (whatever that is) and PTAs (who cannot function without a PT by law) can walk all of the patients they want. That is not what I do. If all a patient needs is to walk to increase their fitness level then it is not skilled and I don't see them.

If in Canada that is what PT has become, then a pox on you :)

PT is much more than that. It is a body of knowledge that is more capable than any to assess and correct movement dysfunction. I really don't know what a kinesiologist does or what their training is but I would wager that I know more about biomechanics than most of them do. I also know how to change the biomechanics, I know what certain tissues feel like at their end point etc . . .

People will start coming to the US for PT too if PT gets phased out. I can't see having an ACL reconstruction and having a PTA under the direction of an FP guiding their rehab.

sorry, got a bug in my bonnet

With all due respect, kinesiologists (whatever that is) and PTAs (who cannot function without a PT by law) can walk all of the patients they want. That is not what I do. If all a patient needs is to walk to increase their fitness level then it is not skilled and I don't see them.

If in Canada that is what PT has become, then a pox on you :)

PT is much more than that. It is a body of knowledge that is more capable than any to assess and correct movement dysfunction. I really don't know what a kinesiologist does or what their training is but I would wager that I know more about biomechanics than most of them do. I also know how to change the biomechanics, I know what certain tissues feel like at their end point etc . . .

People will start coming to the US for PT too if PT gets phased out. I can't see having an ACL reconstruction and having a PTA under the direction of an FP guiding their rehab.

sorry, got a bug in my bonnet

I am wondering whether kinesiologists function more like an ATC or a PTA in Canada? I don't see the point of employing a Kin when there are PTAs who get more specialized training and education (IMO).

Why physical therapy??
- I thought the class would be full of chicks, like psychology classes only better
-For the huge salary!!
-I always wanted to do Lachman's test
-Wound Care!!
-In all seriousness, PT is for me because I'm not a huge fan of medications and if there would be another route for recovery of function than that's what I'd want and that's what I want to provide.

-To answer your first part of the message, pharmacists do NOT make double a PT (if a PT is making $75,000 a year, then you are saying a pharmacist makes $150,000 - something I know is not true). Next, medical graduates also spend TWICE as much time at work. Of course they should be payed twice as much, they are working 60-80 hours per week! I guess you want to drive ferraris around and own mansions, but I could care less about that materialistic crap. Making $75,000 a year is PLENTY for someone like me.

When it comes to "help people while earning a better salary," the other med careers out there are...excuse my french...but f*cking BORING. PAs are basic assistants who have absolutely no autonomy, pharmacists are wal-mart pill pushers who spend their days counting out boner pills and birth control, and doctors are people who rack up huge bank accounts but never have the time to enjoy the fruits of their labor! On the other hand, I can work 35-40 hours a week, make $70k-$80k a year, have a job that is stress-free and fun, and know that I am spending days, weeks, and months with grateful patients who love seeing results. Why would I take that away from myself....for a better paycheck? Ugh.

This is a career change for me. I come from a Finance background and was making on par with what a new DPT makes. I was working on lite days 55/hrs a week and busy/peak/quarter/year end audits 60-90 hrs/week. If I had kept trucking that path, gotten my CPA, worked 'til 27/28 as a senior associate, I could have gotten a manager role @ a local firm and easily made $6 figs.

However, I dreaded going to work, forcing a smile, and doing work @ the end of the day that really made no impact, and I didn't give a $h!t about. The point being, money shouldn't be the primary focus in going into a profession, you will hate your life. <----cliche, I know:idea:I'm living it.

Things I learned in my Corporate Job: I'm not a sedentary desk job person, I enjoy working with people and getting to know them, I truly enjoyed training/teaching others skills and watching them develop and grow and knowing that I had a direct impact on them.

I didn't get into to PT for the money, but because it fits my interests in what I want in a career. Besides, you can always pick up extra shifts/home health visits/ weekends/Travel PT/SNF/LTAC to easily add to your base salary.

I chose PT mainly because I enjoy working with people and I like having a direct impact on the well-being of a patient. It's a low-stress career, fun, has many settings to go into, and it allows for a very balanced work/life with a decent salary.

Just my $0.02

On the other hand, I can work 35-40 hours a week, make $70k-$80k a year, have a job that is stress-free and fun, and know that I am spending days, weeks, and months with grateful patients who love seeing results. Why would I take that away from myself....for a better paycheck? Ugh.

Well put. Money won't always make you love your job, and if your job is where you're spending most of your life, why would you do it for just money?

Being a PT has its trials too, no doubt, but there are SO many rewards in helping people progress from disabled to functional. Every day is an adventure, and I've heard PTs who have being doing it for literally decades say they still aren't bored with their job. The fact that it gives you the salary to live securely and comfortably is just the icing on the cake.

I want to be a PT because:
*I get to help people directly
*I get to be physically active - no high heels!
*40 hour workweek, or work part time if I choose
*great salary ($70K) considering 40 hour workweek
*high demand and job stability
*freedom to do anything I want with the DPT (start my own clinic, specialize with children, dancers, or any group I want, be a professor, etc.)
*No dealing with blood and guts and diseases (I'm squeamish)

Maybe if I was single (or married a starving artist), I'd be an MD. If you are married, have a family, or plan to one day, then a combined salary of, let's say, $200K is not bad! The salary is MUCH higher than that of all the other professions I have considered in the past: dancer, teacher, personal trainer, etc. Plus you always have the option to work more hours and earn more.