Why PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muscles00GT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I visited the DPT forum itself, so I just want to know for those in here, why physical therapy? I know in previous years, one could practice physical therapy with just a 4-year degree. Of course now, they have the DPT programs which are 3-4 years in length. The average PT income these days is somewhere in the $50-$60,000k range. So, with about 8 years of schooling all together (undergrad + pt school), what motivates you to be a DPT? Why not pharmacy, med school, or dentistry? Same amount of schooling, but with a higher starting income. I know it's not all about the money, but 8 years of school just doesn't seem worth it to me coming out making 50-60k. I do know there are exceptions to this and traveling PT's can make a lot more, but just in general, why did you choose PT over any other medical profession?

Members don't see this ad.

I know in my case it's a matter of selecting PT based on interest. I've observed Optometry and worked in dentistry as an assistant. These fields are awesome, but they aren't for me. As for Medicine, I'm 28 with children and don't want to spend two more years as an undergrad, four years in med school, plus another 3 or more years in a residency. Also, you have to do what you are interested in. Optometry, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Medicine aren't for everyone. I hear what you're saying. The salary is the reason why I'm reluctant to go in to PT. I think it will be difficult to pay back loans on that income, especially with me having children and my husband having loans, too. However, I'd rather make less money and be doing something I'm interested in than doing something I hate for more $$.

I know in my case it's a matter of selecting PT based on interest. I've observed Optometry and worked in dentistry as an assistant. These fields are awesome, but they aren't for me. As for Medicine, I'm 28 with children and don't want to spend two more years as an undergrad, four years in med school, plus another 3 or more years in a residency. Also, you have to do what you are interested in. Optometry, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Medicine aren't for everyone. I hear what you're saying. The salary is the reason why I'm reluctant to go in to PT. I think it will be difficult to pay back loans on that income, especially with me having children and my husband having loans, too. However, I'd rather make less money and be doing something I'm interested in than doing something I hate for more $$.

Good points. I was just curious. I'm interested in medicine and PT, but chose medicine because I'm a little more interested in it and the salary for PT's isn't exactly the best for me since I'll have at least 8 years of loans to pay back.

Members don't see this ad :)
PT is regarded as the plague on this forum. It seems like a median income of 60k won't feed your kids or be enough to have nice things. Personally, I have no desire to pursue a "better" healthcare career for many reasons. Denistry and pharmacy are two things that wouldn't be an enjoyable job for me. MD/DO has never been considered because of two huge reasons; I don't desire a huge amount of money and I wouldn't finish schooling, residency before I was 30 (4 years in military). And to be honest it would be challenging to get into med school.
So why PT? PT is the perfect combination of two things I love, patient interaction and muscle/body rehab. I was a rehab tech in a pt clinic for two years and never said "damn, I have to go to work". I always loved going in to see how people were coming along w/ their rehab.

ps I could give a crap about a "D". I want to help people regain their ability to be independent and active.:)

Trust me, I'm in the same boat as both of you. I will have 6 years of loans to pay back, plus a family to feed. However, the last poster is correct. If I went to med school I would be nearly 40 before I was finished. Everyone dwells on the salary of a PT not being great, but in the long run, Med shcool is a lot more years of school when you tack on a residency. More school = more loans, so in the end I'm not sure that it doesn't even out. Granted, dentistry, optometry, etc. don't generally involve a residency, unless you opt for one. However, not everyone wants to work in the mouth or with the eyes. I think we should all pursue what we are interested in, and as long as the salary works for us, then that's great! I don't think it's even a matter of one field being "better" than the other; it's a matter of someone doing a job they will enjoy and make a decent income at the same time.

cause i was one of those students that had a 3.8 gpas and was afraid of being rejected from med school :). Plus i was working at a PT clinic since Freshmen year of college and figured what the heck i like it y not try. Now im having second thoughts about it, but i look at it this way at least ill have a nice job if i go back to school.

TO BE OR NOT TO BE A PT?

First ask yourself what do you love? Do you love observing a person change on a physical and emotional level during physical therapy or you want a more financial support system. This basically sucks.. In some schools, for the price you pay for your education is equally the same amount you would pay in med or dentristy.

So why bother? Here is a solution. If you are unattached, find a school that is less expensive. There are schools like Texas Womans that are cheap even for out of state. Do MPT instead a DPT and then to a transitional DPT while you are working as a PT.

Do more research if this is the field you want to invest your life.. I spent the last two years after college with Pre-reqs, volunteering (not getting paid), and getting exposed. I was exposed to the good and bad. I looked at all angles of physical therapy. I was grossed out but curious in the wound care setting. I was tired of dealing with kids during pedriatic. I was sad to see what the older population faces in the nursing home. Aquatic therapy was awsome. Sports/Ortho physical therapy was an awsome experiance.. Expose yourself to it now. All of this effort paid off b/c I got into two programs. However, now I look at the loan and money issue.

Now I am asking myself if I am making the right choice.

The money is fine in PT. We live in the same neighborhood as several doctors. I attended UTMB and my loans were not overwhelming. If you make smart choices about your school and find a good job afterwards, you will be fine and not be on welfare...I promise.

good salary, fun to spend more time with patients, no beeper.

I have to admit the no beeper thing does rock.