Why SCHAUM'S????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentwannabe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sick of this.. everyone keeps talking about schaum's outlines.. have u looked at that thing.. it has A LOT of detail.

Besides, I like CLIFF notes biology..

What do you guys think? perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Members don't see this ad.

dentwannabe said:
I'm sick of this.. everyone keeps talking about schaum's outlines.. have u looked at that thing.. it has A LOT of detail.

I would definitely agree with you. Schaum's is like reading another text book. It is a well written book but personally I think you cann't use this for reviewing biology for DAT. It will take you a lot of time to read this book from cover to cover and comprehend the material. I do personally like Cliff Notes combined with Exam Cracker. Cliff Notes are pretty good but a little weak on the Physiology part where Exam Cracker has no match.

dentwannabe said:

Schaum's outlines is a wonderful series, if you ask me. Yes, it is like reading a textbook, but it is more specific and doesn't waste time on things you don't really need to know. Put it this way, if you want the BEST possible review for the DAT - grab the schaum's biology review - it will take you from 'cell structure' to 'evolution' in no time at all!

Remember, you should know all of the stuff in schaum's biology anyway, (remember - you went over the material in bio 1 and bio2) so just use it as a guide, as you read it (which should be easy - and is), just acknowledge the stuff and have it as a refresher.

Cliff Notes is way too basic for me, and that's important too, if you need a thorough review of Biology - get schaum's (even if you know your stuff, and still want the best possible review for this section), otherwise, if you remember a lot of biology - by all means - grab the cliff notes.

Here's a real world example:

In March of 2004, I took the DAT and got a mediocre 17 on the BIO section using just Kaplan. Ended up retaking the DAT in April of 2005 after 8 weeks
of studying (same amount as the first time) and scored a 20 on the bio
section. The difference? I used Schaum's outline to supplement Kaplan.
I DID NOT read it cover to cover. Instead, I'd go through Kaplan, read a
section, then find it in Schaum's and read it in more detail. I probably ended
up rehashing quite a bit of material going between Kaplan and Schaums the
way I did, but heck, I can't argue with the results!

PB

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Schaum's or some other type of review book is only necessary for Bio. The Kaplan blue book seemed to do a sufficient job for the other science sections

mg777 said:
I think Schaum's or some other type of review book is only necessary for Bio. The Kaplan blue book seemed to do a sufficient job for the other science sections

I've been thinking the EXACT same thing all along!!!

It feels good to read it from somewhere else though, I agree with you 100%

Gen Chem is nothing but a 'set amount' of concepts - biology is NOT

Org Chem - once you know the basic founations (chemical structure/reactivity) - then you are good to go (well, kind of)

Thanks mg777

hey guys,

im getting ready to buckle down for the DAT in july, and would like some suggestions. Do you guys prefer Examkracker Biology or Schaum's Outline of Biology for the DAT?

Thanks
Tuan

tuan209 said:
hey guys,

im getting ready to buckle down for the DAT in july, and would like some suggestions. Do you guys prefer Examkracker Biology or Schaum's Outline of Biology for the DAT?

Thanks
Tuan

I've never used examkracker biology - i think i may order it though - i've heard some good things about it

I'm using schaum's - and i don't think it's too complex (as some say), but having said that, if you need to review biology A LOT, then I don't think schaum's is what you need

I think schaum's is good if you want to 'brush up' on specific concepts

overall, it's how YOU study best, go to the library or your local bookstore, and check out the books for yourself, and see which one (or both as a combination) will be better, that's just my 50 cent

Oprah said:
overall, it's how YOU study best, go to the library or your local bookstore, and check out the books for yourself, and see which one (or both as a combination) will be better, that's just my 50 cent

I agree. There is no magic potion for the sciences. Read what you like best. I doubt exam writers get all their questions from one specific book. So as long as you know the concepts you should be fine. Some people like their own textbooks; others like schuam etc.