Why SCO or Why ICO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ODDream

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, these are very vauge questions and since the search feature is down I was unable to find anything about these topics...so thats why I am posting this. I am kinda torn right now about which school I should really consider and why...so if there are people from these school can you plz post things that you love/admire about that school and the reason you ended up going there.....I am sure this is a repost but any suggestions would be asewome as I narrow down my choices...Thanks!

Question 1. Why did u go to SCO, any thing special about them ex. alumni (dean)? I know the tuition is cheap :laugh: ..........sco1styear this is all you!

or

Question 2. Why do you like ICO, what attracted you the most....for me I think the diversity of the school and funding it gets....plz add more...

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, this is going to be short (I have a practical in 2 hours) so anyone else feel free to elaborate.
1. SCO has a terrific board passage rate
2. SCO has 0% default on their loans for the last like 10 years. This means the students that have been graduating have been able to pay back their loans.
3. The clinic is about 3 years old and is believed to be the largest in the nation.
4. The clinic is located right next to the "tower" which houses our classrooms. Therefore, you do not have to drive to go to the clinic!
5. Both my optometrists went to SCO but my grandfather and great-grandfather went to ICO.
6. The top administration are people you can talk to and that make a point to talk to the students, you don't feel like they are "above" you.
7. Apparently some first years at other schools have janitorial duties. We do not.
8. Our 20/20 diner has been featured in southern living magazine because they really have decent food (and remember your name after the first time you order).
9. You get exposed to lots of pathology in the clinic so that you are adequately prepared for whatever comes your way when you are out on your own.
10. Students tend to work together instead of against each other, we help each other out a lot.
That's my list...hope it helps!

I chose SCO because of most of the reasons that SCO1styear chose it for. I was really impressed by the campus (although it's tiny). I loved the Memphis area and it seemed like a great place for my daughter to spend the next 4 years (safety is a big issue for me). I'm not saying the town is perfect but I lived in Hong Kong for several years and that was the safest city I've ever lived in and I live in Utah!!! Memphis had the same feel. Anyway, the school's admissions committee was awesome and always on top of applications and I can probably get a scholarship at SCO (at least that's what the admissions office has told me repeatedly). They have lots of scholarships available to first year students. That's my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great!!! Thanks guys for the insight...yeah one thing i also noticed about SCO is that they really do care about keeping in contact with you while you go through the whole app. process, I think is important (communication is key). They sent a ton of stuff and even journals/newletters almost thought I was a studtn there....so far so good....but anyone with ICO thoughts :confused:

k2r5t9 said:
I chose SCO because of most of the reasons that SCO1styear chose it for. I was really impressed by the campus (although it's tiny). I loved the Memphis area and it seemed like a great place for my daughter to spend the next 4 years (safety is a big issue for me). I'm not saying the town is perfect but I lived in Hong Kong for several years and that was the safest city I've ever lived in and I live in Utah!!! Memphis had the same feel. Anyway, the school's admissions committee was awesome and always on top of applications and I can probably get a scholarship at SCO (at least that's what the admissions office has told me repeatedly). They have lots of scholarships available to first year students. That's my two cents.

Just steer clear of south memphis :scared:

Thought of one more thing...
People keep mentioning getting e-mail acceptance. SCO called me! :) I'm guessing they do this for most students.
(I LOVE Robin and Sunnie!)

SCO has first quarter finals next week. You people should be studying! :p

stevec said:
SCO has first quarter finals next week. You people should be studying! :p

I've already taken 2...just 4 more to go and then Thanksgiving break!