Why should we choose you over other applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josh6718

Pharmacist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard that was a question asked during an interview. How would/did you respond?

Members don't see this ad.

josh6718 said:

It's a question of what you have that other applicants may not have. What differentiated me from you and other applicants is almost certainly different than what differentiates you from me and other applicants.

How are you different? Is it related to your experience level, previous career, country of origin, extended family structure, or unique educational experience? Spend some time and think about it. Then your response will be original and authentic.

Good luck.

"cause all the other applicants suck"

Members don't see this ad :)
josh6718 said:

Put on your finest Doogie Howser enthusiastic face and tell the interviewer
"because I'm a quick study and a team player with a CAN DO attitude!

Sorry, I've been working with twenty-somethings so fresh from down range that they are still brushing the sand out of their hair and that's how they are.
It's a refreshing change from the mall rats and ignoring the politics of the war
leaves me feeling like the future is in good hands

Because I can put a bullet in your ear hole at a thousand yards.
DR

Honestly,
You need to make yourself stand out here. hopefully your a little older and you can talk about your motivations to pharmacy, and why the life experience you have will make you a better student than the other 1000 applicants.
DR

You might be asked the same type question when you actually apply for a real job too. This is not just pharmacy school specific.

If you are gonna say you are "smart" you need to explain why and give examples.
If you are going to say you are disciplined you need to explain why and give examples.
If there is something that has occured in your life that might be unusual and you feel you can relate it to pharmacy or being a student you can use it.
Heck if you were on the debate team and did well it means that you are a very good communicator.....AND listener (an important aspect of being a pharmacist)
Heck if you like to fix motors and are very good at it, it likely means that you have a strong attention to detail.....otherwise the silly engine would not start.

There are usually many things that can make you stand out. You just have to find it and be able to effectively communicate this to the Adcom.

I'm better looking than other applicants. Do looks count?

I told them that I wanted to be remembered by those I worked with and those I treated, because I have so much compassion... stuff like that, I meant it, but I played it up a bit too...

yay it worked