Why so few applicants to Columbia P+S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To clarify subway times (since a lot of the ones above aren't really that clear):

P&S is in washington heights at 168th street.

Take the A express downtown: ~ 20 minutes to 59th street. ~25 minutes to the middle of midtown. ~25-30 minutes to the West Village. Eastside is much harder to get to, but the girl I was dating lived there and it was a total transit of about 35 to 45 minutes on the subway (not bad considering you can read, listen to music, etc on the subway).

From 168 to undergrad at 116: Take the 1/9 train ~ 7 - 10 minutes max.

From 168 to central park: Depending where in the park is from 10 - 20 minutes.

It's not the transit time, it's the time between trains that is what can lengthen your trip. So if you're going at an early time (ie, surgery rotation at 430am, then you just get the schedule of trains so you hit it at the right time since the trains run less frequently at this time).

To me, when I first heard times like this, I didn't know what to think....I was used to driving all my life and 30 minutes sounded bad. But once you the subways here are friggin amazing, you'll love it....and realize how much it beats driving.

Members don't see this ad.

No one ever said that. Maybe you should remove your head from the dirt and the chip from your shoulder...Don't be such a hater.

Strong programs build their programs with strong applicants. Go through any of the top programs and look where their students are from - and you'll notice the same trend. I know that in the past Columbia interviewed tons more applicants than any other program. They would interview basically 10 people for 1 spot. Not sure if this has changed recently. Some people look at that as a bad thing and "why waste my time?"....It just surprises me that it's the same people who say that also are the ones saying that they just look at your application superficially. If that were the case, why bother interviewing so many applicants? It's b/c they want quality people that they would want to work with. There are a ton of a$$holes in medicine, who wants to work with them?

If you're a strong student from a weaker undergrad, you'll still be fine. We have a student from community college here. It's also about the rest of your application. Personally, the reason I got in here was my interview - I completely clicked with the person. The main reason P&S is more singled out on where they went for undergrad is that they give you a book so that it's out there on paper for anyone who interviews to see.

All that being said, I didn't feel that I was ever surrounded by an "elitist" attitude here. In working with my peers, undergrad rarely came up except as initial meetings in order to know more about where the person was from. After that, we are all equals.

But as the process goes on, welcome to life. On residency interviews I constantly hear "Where you train, is who you are in xxxxxx" Do I agree? To an extent, I think the program will shape who you are and how you practice (academic vs. private practice)...but I don't think that if you don't go to a top program you won't come out a good doctor.

Look Scooby dude, I'm not hating columbia. I interviewed there and if I got in I would have a hard time deciding between there and all the other places. In fact, I was one of the guys that wrote one of the "OMFG, this is my first choice forever" interview feedbacks on Columbia. Yeah it's a great school but I'm just saying that the admission committee doesn't want to take risks, that's why 80% of the class is from the ivies (Now compare this to Duke or Hopkins or one of the other top schools). For me, that was a turnoff.

Look Scooby dude, I'm not hating columbia. I interviewed there and if I got in I would have a hard time deciding between there and all the other places. In fact, I was one of the guys that wrote one of the "OMFG, this is my first choice forever" interview feedbacks on Columbia. Yeah it's a great school but I'm just saying that the admission committee doesn't want to take risks, that's why 80% of the class is from the ivies (Now compare this to Duke or Hopkins or one of the other top schools). For me, that was a turnoff.

Sounds good. Just keep an open mind when you go through the whole process. Does Duke and Hopkins put out a list of the undergrads of their students? Or is this based on what you saw? I don't really know, so i'm asking you....

Just as some ivy leagues inbreed, so do the univ. of cali schools and many other programs. It's just kind of what happens. Who knows....

Yes...i love NYC (even though P&S is so far north it's barely NYC) and would have loved to go to school in the big apple, but this post sums up 90% of the reason i decided not to go to columbia. i do know some ultra cool people at p&s, but it serves to reinforce that those kids are rare. it all depends on your personality tho.

Stop going by what people say. Apply and formulate your own opinions. Cause those people who gave you advice about P&S are completely wrong.