Why some people aren't choosing Pathology as a career choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I asked the radiology folks why they didn't choose Pathology.

Months ago, I came across someone on Twitter who asked medical students at her institution why they didn't choose Pathology as a career choice. Most said they wanted patient contact.

Fair enough...most go into medicine so they can directly interact with patients. You can't really change someone's mind who needs patient contact.

I also came across Twitter posts from academics who wanted to make Pathology a required core rotation. This is in response to Pathology falling out of favor from US grads.

So I went ahead and asked the radiology folks if they had ever considered Pathology or why they didn't consider Path as both fields have little to no patient contact.

Reasons were, in no particular order:

1. Bad job market as mentioned in SDN and by talking to Pathology fellows who mentioned the bad job market was real. Didn't want to be geographically restricted.

2. Lack of exposure in medical school

3. Better pay in Rads

4. Bad smell in Pathology (lol), autopsies, specimens, etc

5. Didn't enjoy or feel comfortable with the microscope

6. Personal interests fit Rads better

See the thread here:

Why not Pathology?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
most go into medicine so they can make an impact on patients lives
I'd argue Path has a substantial impact on lives. To these students I'd say it's less glorified, yes, but not less impactful.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd argue Path has a substantial impact on lives. To these students I'd say it's less glorified, yes, but not less impactful.

Yeah sorry I meant they want direct patient contact.