Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL..Lets just be honest, you aint got the balls to say that to their face....
I know right. These internet wangstas kill me lol
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
LOL..Lets just be honest, you aint got the balls to say that to their face....
I am finally getting use to medical school and being in a class where only 5 percent are AA's. I know everyone wants to believe that we have overcome....but I do not believe that.
I am black with a 38 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. I posted a screen shot of my score, so you can look at my post history to find it. I've been rejected at a host of top schools. Granted, I applied super late (amcas verified in early November), but I've seen other black males with worse numbers get acceptances to schools that rejected me pre-interview. My EC's are mediocre. Yes being a minority helps, but you better have something unique. I do not. I could be mad that Vandy rejected me pre-secondary and accepted another URM on this board who has a 29 and 3.4. So, why not even interview me? That guy has actually worked with the underserved. I have not.
.

You even have a higher MCAT than myself here (black with 33/3.9, damn verbal), and I at least got on the waiting list at Vandy. You mad? Wait I'm mad now. How did that URM get in outright with a 29/3.4 and I didn't? Racism 😡
I hope everyone realizes it's not all about stats, although they are important. And the MCAT is a stupid test, especially the verbal. I love the sciences though. 👍
38 is an excellent score. The best I would possibly ever achieve is 11 VR and 14's on the sciences, and I would have to devote 3-4 months of hardcore prep and practice to score such, but I don't think that's good use of my time. Although I've never taken standardized tests seriously and the most effort I've ever given was for the MCAT (3 weeks, average 4-5 hrs/day). I recall I walked into the ACT with 1 hour review (scored a 26 or 27) and the GRE with 3 days of review (>1400/1600). I plan to approach the USMLEs like a gunner though. I'll take it personal 😀
Good stuff. Where do you plan on matriculating to? Or who are you hoping to hear from?
It's an age old question without a simple explanation because the reasons are so many. The more important question is how do we increase the representation of underrepresented minorities in medicine?

The person wasn't getting at Asians vs. African Americans with the data, the person was stating that whites have a better chance that blacks getting accepted into medical school with 3.0GPA's. Not Asians.That's actually a complete misunderstanding of the data. If an Asian and an African American have the same stats, the African American will get accepted because there are much higher standards for Asians than blacks. Not being racist, it's in the data.
I'll just pick on one point, since it's typically the accepted MCAT/GPA range for "you've got a shot".
African american with a 3.6-3.79 GPA and a 30-32 MCAT. 93% acceptance rate
Asian with the same stats. 72.7% acceptance rate.
Statistically it is easier for blacks to get in than Asians or Caucasians. The reason why there are so few blacks in medicine is definitely not because it is harder for them.
My favorite example of reverse racism in this case is this one:
An African American with a 2.8-2.99 and 27-29 has a better chance of getting in than an Asian with a 3.4-3.59 and a 30-32. Try and tell me it's harder for blacks than asians based on that data right there.
You guys seem to throw asians into it fairly quickly. I believe the user was stating about whites vs. blacks dealing with admissions, and whites tend to have an easier time being admitted, not my opinion, statistical data proves it. But, as someone as said, you can't change opinions, or shall I say "mindset" of idiots.How does interpreting data make me a hater? Blacks get in with lower scores than non-blacks, and the data supports that. Racism is not always negative, the fact that ADCOMs expect more from asians is racist, but the racism there is based on the (positive) assumption that asians are smarter or can perform better in school. The fact that blacks and other racial minorities matriculate with lower scores is also racism.
As defined by dictionary.com, Racism is
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racesdetermine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
You don't see blacks or other racial minorities complaining that med schools accept them with lower scores, and thus hold them at a lower standard. Racial minorities only want to be treated equally when it benefits them. You also don't see asians complaining that they are held at a higher standard. For the most part they accept it and work their asses off to meet and exceed expectations.
If an asian gets a 4.0 and a 35, you probably wouldn't be too impressed, but if another racial minority gets a 4.0 and a 35, you would probably think they are really smart. Racism.
Contrary to popular belief, racism helps blacks and hurts asians. AAMC's data on the relationship between MCAT, GPA, and matriculation is evidence of that.
Did any minority medical students participate in the hoodie campaign? I was the only one at my school. I do not think anyone noticed because I always wear my different School of Medicine and Undergrad hoodies.
I agree.I think the hoodie campaign and marches and all that actually trivializes the situation a great deal. No respect for it at all.
Honestly, many SDN users will never know what the majority of black students have to grow up through, so they are going to be "ignorant," or shall I say, "state ignorant statements" mainly because of their lack of knowledge on the background. And honestly, being an URM is not going to help any of us (I'm a black student -applying to dental school this summer) with gaining admissions into medical, or dental school. But, we do have summer enrichment programs that help us stay more competitive than our counterparts, and that truly helps us gain entrance and graduate.
Finally to answer the question, I'd have to say financial resources. Alot of AA students at my school (which is really limited - I attend a PWI) want to make money straight out of undergrad. Same as me, but I'm taking the risk because it is worth taking - and I want to serve the under-serve.
Another reason, I'd have to say lack of guidance - from professors, parents, et cetera. AA students (just as other students) need mentors, and other respective figures to help motivate and guide them.
Other reasons I'd have to say are - many of us lack any knowledge about medicine, we receive negative peer views from our family members/friends/and others calling us "sell outs," or, "acting-white." Which I highly disagree with.
Bottom line, we as African Americans - Black Students are just as bright as our counterparts, we just lack the resources that our counterparts get to take advantage of throughout their daily lives.
All we can do is encourage each other to continue striving towards our goals - I for one encourage my fellow classmates (of all races) to become what they want to become because we all can.
Wagy, are you seriously comparing the correction of centuries of injustice and imbalance to murder? SERIOUSLY?
The grandchildren of the "offenders" (and the newcomers who look like them) continue to disproportionally benefit from slanted policies and social barriers aimed at maintaining injustice and inequality, whereas their minority counterparts continue to suffer primary and secondary effects of the same policies. Why do we expect affirmative action to be perfect and egalitarian when most things aren't, and do not, in fact, benefit minorities? People say they want equality for all, but when it comes to leveling the playing field at their expense (aka giving up some of their power), they sing another tune entirely. The TL;DR version: Life's not fair. Get over it.
I find it striking that you put the burden of perfection on affirmative action while completely ignoring the shortcomings of institutions that disproportionately benefit whites and harm the Asians Americans, Native Americans, etc. far more than affirmative action ever could. There exists no perfect policy, or in the case of affirmative action, set of policies that doesn't have some casualties. Again, why is affirmative action expected to be perfect? There are far more Asian-Americans in professional positions than there are of other groups, hence the lack of a boost for them in admissions decisions. They are minorities, but at the same time, are reaching success levels that rivals that of their white counterparts so again, no boost. I won't get into mechanics of that, but will say that many can and do get admitted on other criteria that white applicants cannot access.
It was simply an example, would examples including the genocide of the Holocaust or social injustice of apartheid be more appropriate. Regardless of the example utilized, society in general has not provided a means to balance the system going forward in the same way AA/URM status does currently.
The problem with your expense arguement is many of those impacted didn't come from descendants who were the "offenders" including Asian-Americans, more recent European immigrants, etc. In your search for "equality" for URM's you're willing to harm another group, which to me is exactly what we are fighting against.
I put the burden not of perfection but equity on AA because it is a governmental policy designed to provide equity and as it is currently is structured fails to provide this. The problem with your stance is your "casualties" are people who have committed no wrong and are being penalized in an attempt to provide equity by having an injustice done to them. To sit there and say that since there a lot of professional Asians that they should be ok with being shortchanged is pretty ridiculous; as an Asian-American (Indian-American), I find it repugnant to think that a policy that penalizes Asians as a group because of their success can be supported by other minorities. You comment on these mysterious "other criteria" for Asians, like what?
Based on your own logic, there are a lot of African American athletes, why not provide those minorities that are underrepresented with a boost. Why should we accept this policy in higher education but not uniformly across all professions?
First, most minorities (AA's just as me) could care less of other races being "sympathetic," to our needs. In fact, more than likely, we'd be estastic about it - just to prove that we don't receive" special treatment within the admissions process." AA's who are determined to become physicians, dentists, optometrists, pharmacists, etc participate in a variety of community service activities, extra-curricular activities, and lets face it, we understand more so what the average patient is going through - especially other undeserved populations who are left out. If admission officers are favoring anything; its finding doctors who truly want to work with the undeserved populations, and provide quality health care for them, and that is what most minorities want to do. Regardless of how many statistics you find, we are all going to be doctors and doing the exact same type of work.There are a few issues with the URM arguement that I think need clarification and discussion. The problem, that I and others have experienced is that if we challenge AA or URM status we are automatically labeled racists or unsympathetic to the plight of URMs.
1. I think that the AAMC data is pretty clear that overall the use of AA/URM in med school admissions increases the probability of a URM getting admitted with a certain GPA/MCAT compared to other groups (ex. Asians). I disagree with posters who say that AA steals spots; it does not do that, it just reduces the probability (by how much, who knows). The other thing is this does not correct for subjective factors.
2. There is often discussion of past injustices and continued institutional biases. The problem with this logic is the punishment to the "offenders" is delivered on college students who were not part of the problem to begin with. In my opinion, it is the equivalent of punishing the grandchild of a murderer after the murderer passes away. It doesn't work and it's certainly not equitable. As for institutional bias, I agree it is pervasive but is also pervasive for other groups in other roles: ex. Asians and sports- I don't see the NCAA forcing colleges to have a certain numbers of student atheletes be of certain ethnicities.
3. There is a constant statement amongst supporters about a lack of role models, etc. I would argue that this situation exists for many groups and we don't provide systems for them as well. Part of fixing this problem is having URMs that become physicians be strong role models rather than simply trying to force an increase in admissions.
First, most minorities (AA's just as me) could care less of other races being "sympathetic," to our needs. In fact, more than likely, we'd be estastic about it - just to prove that we don't receive" special treatment within the admissions process." AA's who are determined to become physicians, dentists, optometrists, pharmacists, etc participate in a variety of community service activities, extra-curricular activities, and lets face it, we understand more so what the average patient is going through - especially other undeserved populations who are left out. If admission officers are favoring anything; its finding doctors who truly want to work with the undeserved populations, and provide quality health care for them, and that is what most minorities want to do. Regardless of how many statistics you find, we are all going to be doctors and doing the exact same type of work.
The problem is what you want is to "just prove we don't receive special treatment" but what the objective data shows is that at least for med school admissions is that this is not the case when only examing GPA/MCAT scores as little is published on subjective criteria utilized when comparing URM applicants to other more well represented candidates.
It certainly is reasonable to say that the goal should be to push physicians to underserved areas. The problem is no one can predict that based on a patient's premed profile; I have many friends who grew up in white middle class america who have made it their goal to work in underserved areas and know many who originally come from underserved areas whose only dream is to live and work in suburbia. There is not a lot of hard data supporting your hypothesis. However, when we look at med schools there objective is to train the best med students possible (you dont really become a physician, despite the MD/DO title, until you finish your post-graduate training). When you define best med student, one big factor is USMLE scores as this is correlated with residency placement. Two of the few factors correlated with USMLE scores based on published data are undergrad GPA and MCAT. Shouldn't we be picking applicants based on what we know leads to success rather than factors that may or may not?
The person wasn't getting at Asians vs. African Americans with the data, the person was stating that whites have a better chance that blacks getting accepted into medical school with 3.0GPA's. Not Asians.
And looking at the data, whites have vastly lower chances with the same stats. Asians even more so.
MCAT score........24- 26.......27-29.......30-32.........33-35
Black with 3.0...... 53.8%......71.5%......78.9%........71.4%
White with 3.0.......8.5%........21%.........29.1%........43.1%
I really hope we're not trying to make this into another 'Why we don't need affirmative action in med school admissions' or 'The redefining of URM status' thread, since that has been beaten in the ground over and over again.
Here's the issue with the USMLE: med school invests its time in its students and want them to blow out the USMLE to make their school look good, so the entire curriculum is guided to help the students pass the test. Of course students can supplement it with other tools as you all know, but med schools do provide some type of training for that test.
Not so with many undergraduate schools and the MCAT. Students have to pay high prices for decent training for this test (which is also a hustle, let's keep it real): just studying notes alone won't prepare you for the tricks of this mentally draining test. Just because someone does do well on the MCAT does not mean they will do well on the USMLE, and another person who does average on the MCAT may knock the USMLE out the water.
As far as GPA is concerned.....at my college, so many ORM's had answers to the tests that it was completely sickening. Here we were, fighting to do well in chemistry while others already had the test. Keep it real: there are a lot of folks who have high GPA's because of this hustle (they won't say that on those 'why AA is bad for med school admissions' threads hah), while those who actually fight the right way may score lower on the test and have a lower GPA.
What a lot of people fail to realize is that many ORM's have more opportunities and resources than URM's in the undergraduate college life. If anyone on this board does not realize this, please WAKE UP. Therefore, what is wrong with medical school admissions taking that into consideration when admitting URM's? Even more, have thee been studies that suggested these few URM's are worse doctors than their counterparts?
Wow Wagy, I couldn't possible disagree with you any more.
I completely disagree with your stance on this issue.
1. The discrepancy in objective data reflects just that, a discrepancy in the objective data. Nothing more and any correlative or causal conclusion you arrive to is purely conjecture. Objective data is what is objective. There is minimal to no data on subjective factors. While causation is certainly not possible, correlation certainly is based on what we see especially in light of the consistent objective difference noted.
2. Regardless of the discrepancy of objective data, there is no "objective data" to support the discrepancy having any clinical relevance whatsoever, just anecdotal and prejudiced extrapolations. I dont think there is any data to support a clinical difference. The problem is you are talking about a finite resource (med school admissions) and there certainly is debate over how these should be selected. You disagree but many support the idea of removing race/ethnicity from the equation and simply selecting based on objective/subjective factors such as GPA/MCAT/research/volunteering/etc. In light of what data is out there why should one group have their probability of admission be reduced based on an attempt to be "anti-oppressive." You stated "AA was an "anti-oppressive" policy to end the domination of caucasian men and to allow other genders/ethnicities to climb the social ladder. " Problem is AA is no oppressing ethnicities that have became successful such as Asians.
3. We are picking applicants based on what we know leads to success. Why would any school choose to do otherwise? If they enroll an urm candidate it's because they want to, not because they are lusting for minorities like a crazed caucasian housewife (I kid, I kid, but because they genuinely believe the candidate is qualified and will make a significant impact to the campus community. If not, they wouldn't get accepted. Simple. I served on an adcom in med school and we did NOT practice AA whatsoever. Not to mention, my state barred AA with proposition 209. I'm graduating now so I can talk about it first hand. Truth is, admissions comes down to the reviews impression of an applicant and how strongly they can convince the committee accept them. There is certainly an objective component, but there is a remarkable subjective component as well. It is what it is. But to ignore that and arrive at the conclusion that schools are NOT taking the best candidate is just foolish and reflects your racial prejudice and bias. The best candidates aren't what YOU think they are, it's who the adcoms accept.- while this may be the case in your state, it is certainly not in others where race is factored into admission and a uniform policy across the country would be right thing to do.
4. It is not reasonable to say applicants should be expected or coerced to do primary care, serve in underserved areas or anything of the sort. Urm students are medical students just like everyone else and have all the right to determine there specialty, practice type and location.- agree and hence the reason i said you cant expect URMs to fill the void in underserved areas.
You end as most pro-URM statements go by saying those minorities should be grateful for what was done before them. No one is challenging the victories achieved and the benefit it has had on all minorities. But to sit there and assume that those that disagree with your views are "neurotic premeds, med students or residents who didn't get their top pick" is nothing more than a way to debase an opinion contrary to your own. There are many like myself who got their top pick all the way through in ultracompetitive residencies who still disagree with the practice. We have no bone to pick, no bitterness, or desire to get back at others, we simply disagree with the principle of using race/ethnicity in med school admissions.
.
Your statements don't make a lot of sense.
Yes, MCAT prep classes help you prepare more for the test. They are not required to take the test and a student can certainly study for the test without the classes. If they are a must, one can use student loans money to help defray the cost. As for your statement about MCAT's and USMLE, there are studies that demonstrated the correlation (citation previously posted by me earlier in this thread). If you believe USMLE's are any different you are sadly mistaken, between USMLE word and Qbank for questions and Kaplan books for notes costs add up there too (and can be paid with student loans as well). The cost of preparing for these tests is well known and the costs can be defrayed by loans. Is it easier to have family help to pay the cost absolutely, but that should not be why URM status makes sense for med school admissions.
As for your undergrad theories of ORM's having more notes and test prep, I dont know much about that. I went to undergrad 10 years ago now and there certainly was nothing like that going around where i was at. If you have some proof instead of rampant allegations without a stitch of evidence that would be great.
There is no documentation of differences in outcomes by race in medicine. If you get through med school that is a pretty good litmus test. However, the issue is that there are a finite number of spots into med school and how should they be distributed remains in question. I and many others argue that it should be based on objective merit (GPA, MCAT, research, volunteering, etc) and race should have no bearing whatsoever in that decision.
You do know that there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less black people applying to medical school than white people, thus the reason the percentages for white people being lower than black people at each mcat group..........
definitely false! No one is truly getting accepted with a 3.0 and a 24 without a post bacc or extra work beyond undergrad.What does that have to do with a percentage? The denominator is "# of either that race applying" so it doesn't change the statistics.
The only way this would have any impact is if schools had a quota of different races they wanted (already ruled unconstitutional) or if the data were skewed because of small sample sizes (which there are plenty and I included the vast majority of the distribution). So, it doesn't have bearing.
If you have a 24 and a 3.0 you about a 60% shot of getting in if you are black. You have about a 10% shot if you are white.
The original post I was responding to claimed it was easier to get in with a 3.0 if you were white. The statistics belie this point. And belie it hard.
Actually I have too much proof of the 'opportunities' that ORM's have had many, many more 'test taking' advantages over the URM's but why put their careers in jeopardy and air out their dirty laundry. What, you want me to go back in time and take pictures of their dirty work? Funny.
And I've been away from my undergraduate studies many years my friend, but I have people in different places of different ages that cosign with this. So either your school was one of a few that didn't have that going on, or you are very blind.
Funny thing is that people on here always fuss about AA being unfair, racist, or whatever the case, but never want to admit to the truths as to why those practices were put in place. Truth is, ORM's, from child age, have had more opportunities than the URM's of the same age. It's true. I mean, just take a look at inner city schools compared to the suburban schools, and you have to admit there is a world of difference between the two. Even in college, there are opportunities that ORM's had that, if I had even known of them, would have helped me A LOT.
Now, as an admitted student myself, I am not making excuses for anyone who does not put forth the work and fight to get into medical school.....I think that may be the sentiment that opponents of AA have: that med schools shouldn't let lazy black folks in who didn't score as high as my pretentious tail, and I may be wrong. But people have to open their eyes and see why AA is here to begin with and acknowledge the reasoning behind it.
Sadly, many people won't, and will continue to believe that education is truly equal and that everyone has equal opportunity.....
Excuse the typos, I'm still at the job.
You keep talking about these under the radar opportunities as if ORM's are coming together to actively pool resources and shaft URM's? Any proof for those ridculous allegations or do you want to just keep throwing stuff out you can't corroborate?
What does that have to do with a percentage? The denominator is "# of either that race applying" so it doesn't change the statistics.
The only way this would have any impact is if schools had a quota of different races they wanted (already ruled unconstitutional) or if the data were skewed because of small sample sizes (which there are plenty and I included the vast majority of the distribution). So, it doesn't have bearing.
If you have a 24 and a 3.0 you about a 60% shot of getting in if you are black. You have about a 10% shot if you are white.
The original post I was responding to claimed it was easier to get in with a 3.0 if you were white. The statistics belie this point. And belie it hard.
Here's my point though, my friend. If you have many many more whites applying to med school than blacks or hispanics, although there are many more white folks getting into med school, many many more white folks will get rejected than black or hispanic folks, hence the 'lower percentage' for them.
So let's use the bold statement as an example my friend. Let's say that you have 10 black folks applying for a certain school, and 100 white folks applying for that same school. By your stats, 6 black people who have a 24MCAT and 3.0gpa would get in, whereas 10 white folks, who have the same stats, would get in. Hmm.......so there are still more white folks getting in with those stats than black. Makes you think.
I do want to know where those stats came from though. And thanks for keeping it cordial and being open minded. Seems like we don't have enough of that here.
I can't tell if you are intentionally egging me on or really do not understand the concept of a percentage.
The original post was that it was easier to get in with a 3.0 as a white person. The data (from the AAMC- see link at bottom) shows that if you have a 3.0 and a 24 you have a 1 in 10 chance if you are white and a 6 in 10 chance if you are black. If one group is 6 times more likely to get accepted with the same stats, we can assume that it is easier to get in for that group. It doesn't matter the number that apply for reasons I have talked about above.
The data
https://www.aamc.org/download/157958/data/table25-mcatgpa-grid-white-0911.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/download/157594/data/table25-b-mcatgpa-grid-black.pdf
Oh, I thought you were looking for average overall MCAT/GPA instead of MCAT/GPA grid acceptance style.
This what you meant?
Table 25: MCAT and GPA Grid for Applicants and Acceptees by Selected Race and Ethnicity, 2008 to 2010 (aggregated)
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

I was wondering why are there so few blacks in medicine...is there not enough qualified applicants or is there a cap limit?
How does interpreting data make me a hater? Blacks get in with lower scores than non-blacks, and the data supports that. Racism is not always negative, the fact that ADCOMs expect more from asians is racist, but the racism there is based on the (positive) assumption that asians are smarter or can perform better in school. The fact that blacks and other racial minorities matriculate with lower scores is also racism.
As defined by dictionary.com, Racism is
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racesdetermine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
You don't see blacks or other racial minorities complaining that med schools accept them with lower scores, and thus hold them at a lower standard. Racial minorities only want to be treated equally when it benefits them. You also don't see asians complaining that they are held at a higher standard. For the most part they accept it and work their asses off to meet and exceed expectations.
If an asian gets a 4.0 and a 35, you probably wouldn't be too impressed, but if another racial minority gets a 4.0 and a 35, you would probably think they are really smart. Racism.
Contrary to popular belief, racism helps blacks and hurts asians. AAMC's data on the relationship between MCAT, GPA, and matriculation is evidence of that.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.