Why such little love from UC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gublagu3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to almost all the medical schools in California, including all of the UC's and have received only 1 II, and even that led to a wait-list. Furthermore, I have already been rejected from several UC's include San Diego and UCSF. Its just so frustrating since I though I would get more IIs from the UC system since I am from California. And, I dont necessarily think there is necessarily a weakness in my application, as I have gotten IIs from some really good schools on the East Coast. Just frustrated with California schools at this point. Do they tend to evaluate candidates differently than medical schools from different states?

Members don't see this ad.

All California schools, regardless of tier, are extremely competitive. California pumps out an insane number of premeds every year (a good proportion of which are top tier applicants), all of which are applying to most of the California schools because they want to stay in California. Additionally, there are tons of people applying outside of California because all of their medical schools are very good, and to top it off California is an extremely desirable location to live in. Summed up, it should be no surprise that applying to California schools is a crapshoot, regardless of how qualified one may be.

Reactions: 1 user
Most (if not all) UCs don't have a strong preference for in state students. Also everyone from Cali applies to all the UCs . That tends to make it hard on California applicants who want to stay in Cali.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
California needs more med schools that aren't cnucom. Compared to the east coast, the west seems lacking in that "academic tradition".

Reactions: 2 users
I have applied to almost all the medical schools in California, including all of the UC's and have received only 1 II, and even that led to a wait-list. Furthermore, I have already been rejected from several UC's include San Diego and UCSF. Its just so frustrating since I though I would get more IIs from the UC system since I am from California. And, I dont necessarily think there is necessarily a weakness in my application, as I have gotten IIs from some really good schools on the East Coast. Just frustrated with California schools at this point. Do they tend to evaluate candidates differently than medical schools from different states?
The UCs are all the things the posters above mentioned and will get you where you want to be regardless of location or specialty

Last edited:
I feel you; the only UC left to reject me is UCR (which, honestly, I am very surprised I haven't gotten an II there because all of my activities and everything is practically tailor made to them). I managed to get an II to UCI but got waitlisted...and the mid-tiered UC waitlists are generally reallyyyy difficult to get off of, so it's better to just view it as a "no-go".

Needless to say, I'm really frustrated and bitter...but on the other hand, am getting excited about other schools!

Welcome to the club. Many of us Californians are in med school outside of California. I traveled to 5 different states around the country for interviews last year and met fellow Californians at each one. It's just the way it goes. I think it relates mostly to the massive number of Californians who are trying to go to med school. Don't take it personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this will make you feel better, but if you think about it, why do you want to stay in CA so bad? Going through the cycle now, the things I thought I valued, I didn't (perhaps it's because I'm also thinking about what my life would look like 15-20 years from now and I'm trying to get settled with a house, etc). The fact that EVERYONE wants to be in CA = inflated prices for EVERYTHING.

Where else, besides in the biggest cities like NYC, Boston, etc are you going to find such inflated property prices by the way? That's something to think about...especially as you start thinking about job prospects and establishing a life somewhere. Is all the traffic, high mortgage rates (not to mention, you will be competing with foreign cash-buyers most of the time), high COL in general worth it to be in CA? Could you not give yourself just as comfortable of a life in another state?

I have a good friend in a diff career path who never thought she would live away from CA. She lives in Seattle now and works for Amazon...and she says that if she could just move her whole family there, Seattle makes MUCH more sense to settle down than CA...especially Norcal. It's ridiculous!

Tl;dr the chance to explore a life outside of overinflated, extra-expensive CA is a blessing in disguise...especially if you look long term! (Gotta admit though, weather and food options can't be beat...)

California needs more med schools that aren't cnucom. Compared to the east coast, the west seems lacking in that "academic tradition".

I think Calif has about 12% of the nations MD med school applicants. Far too many applicants for the number of MS1 seats.

nearly every premed instate applicant applies to all the UCs simply to get the better instate rates. It's made the competition insanely intense.

It's not you. It's Table 5.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstable5.pdf

With 5,920 applicants for 870 IS matriculations, odds are long, even for great CA applicants. That's why 1,436 matriculated OOS.

This is tangential to the original question, but I have been wondering about whether UCs practice yield protection. For sure they are all very competitive and quality schools, but for example, would UCI reject or waitlist a 40/4.0 to nab the 34/3.7 (with all else being equal) for yield reasons?

This is tangential to the original question, but I have been wondering about whether UCs practice yield protection. For sure they are all very competitive and quality schools, but for example, would UCI reject or waitlist a 40/4.0 to nab the 34/3.7 (with all else being equal) for yield reasons?
Resource management requires that schools interview the best applicants likely to matriculate.
It makes no sense to interview a terrific candidate and then waitlist them!

It is plausible that a candidate who appears very likely to go elsewhere is a low yield interview for the school.

I have heard back from 2 California schools as well, one II awhile ago and a rejection yesterday. I was expecting a little more responsiveness, in either direction, but wasn't expecting this much silence. I think that California schools may take a bit longer to release II's than the general school population? Not sure.

I have heard back from 2 California schools as well, one II awhile ago and a rejection yesterday. I was expecting a little more responsiveness, in either direction, but wasn't expecting this much silence. I think that California schools may take a bit longer to release II's than the general school population? Not sure.

When you look at the number of applicants per Calif med school, how many do you think are interviewed at each school? 10%? If so, then you can easily see why many qualified UC applicants won't get the love on an II.

image.jpeg

California produces the most applicants of any state - the vast majority of in state applicants want to stay in state, with just as many applicants across the entire nation who want to take a stab at their chances here too. Each school can easily fill their class with identical applications - solid MCAT, perfect GPA, research, clinical, generic personal statement about why medicine. If you don't fulfill a mission criteria or something unique enough to stand out among the crowd, why should you receive any more love than the other 5000 hopefuls? Even though not every med school in CA is a top 10/20 or whatever, it can be harder to get in there as opposed to a med school elsewhere simply because of the demand/"ermergerd it's CA - location!"

As wonderful as California can be, it's a limited bubble, and living outside of it could do wonders in terms of growth, maturity, and understanding of what the rest of the country has to offer. I'm saying this as someone who once felt the same way during my cycle and have no regrets about choosing to go out of state.

Do you mean secondary silence or interview silence? As a whole they definitely seem to be later than the rest of the country, probably at least partially due to the synergy of getting lots of applications and screening for secondaries.

California produces the most applicants of any state - the vast majority of in state applicants want to stay in state, with just as many applicants across the entire nation who want to take a stab at their chances here too. Each school can easily fill their class with identical applications - solid MCAT, perfect GPA, research, clinical, generic personal statement about why medicine. If you don't fulfill a mission criteria or something unique enough to stand out among the crowd, why should you receive any more love than the other 5000 hopefuls? Even though not every med school in CA is a top 10/20 or whatever, it can be harder to get in there as opposed to a med school elsewhere simply because of the demand/"ermergerd it's CA - location!"

I wonder if at some point, the UC SOMs will get state pressure to limit the OOS acceptees to a very low %...at least until they can expand the number of seats.

I wonder if at some point, the UC SOMs will get state pressure to limit the OOS acceptees to a very low %...at least until they can expand the number of seats.
Probably not until we solve the (education) funding crisis! ;-/

No chance.
Other states pay for the majority of the cost of educating those who will ultimately practice here. In the AAMC graduation questionnaire, 17% of US grads plan to practice in CA.