why the pay different

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tigerkeeper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If all residents' pay come from the same source, why different programs pay their residents different ? Just wonder....

Members don't see this ad.

Adjustment for cost of living. Also, your English is horrible.

What about the differences within the same city? LA programs drastically differ in pay

I wasn't aware of that. Can't explain that.

I wasn't aware of that. Can't explain that.

Pay is actually negotiated between hospitals (who receive Medicare funds) and Universities (who are the employers of residents). Although both have motivation to stay "in the range" of national norms, they are free to set their wages as they see fit. Medicare does not specify wages.

Also, make sure to compare benefits (health insurance costs, academic allowances, meals, conference remuneration, etc..) between programs. You'll likely find that less salary = more benefits. At the end of the day, it's likely a wash. Definitely not something to use as a deal breaker when choosing a program.

Also, make sure to compare benefits (health insurance costs, academic allowances, meals, conference remuneration, etc..) between programs. You'll likely find that less salary = more benefits. At the end of the day, it's likely a wash. Definitely not something to use as a deal breaker when choosing a program.

I agree that I wouldn't use it as a deal breaker between programs, but I disagree with the assertion that it's all a wash.

I make more, have lower cost of living, and have better benefits than several of my friends in places like NY and LA.

The government does not employ residents (except I guess the military people), even if it is the source of the funding for salaries for many. The hospital and/or university pays your actual salary, and they can set it at whatever level they choose. Private places often have more money than public universities or county hospital programs, and pay accordingly.

Also even in the same city cost of living can vary wildly. NYU pays its surgery interns about $70K (at least they did 4 yrs ago) because living in the Village is insane. Columbia pays its surgery interns much less because living in Washington Heights is, by NYC standards, a bargain.

Finally, slightly less competitive programs can use salary as a marketing tool to get one up on the more prestigious program down the block. Not sure how often this actually happens though.

Yeah I interviewed at an institution in a very small town that paid more then some programs I have applied to in Boston/Chicago etc.... The PD explained it: something about state funding and Medicare giving them slightly more b/c they are a primary care-focused institution in an area of extremely high need for doctors.... I don't remember exactly but that was the jist of it. Definitely something to consider when making my rank list but certainly not the only thing