Why white coat ceremony in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omfsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read one of the posts about a white coat ceremony and it got me thinking. What is the reasoning for this. How many practicing dentists do you guys know that wear white coats around their offices? If they do they're a douche bag. They might as well pop the collar, spike the hair and introduce themselves as Dr. Hotti. In the medical world this makes more sense. Most Docs wear their coat around the hospital, it has their name and specialty embroidered on it. It is appropriate for hospital use, and bottom line, most patients expect you to have one. You can even carry little books, a tuning fork, hammer, stethoscope with ease. What is a dentist going to do, carry some impression material and a perio probe?

I understand the symbolism and everything, but I don't feel a white coat is the correct choice for this. Maybe we should have a white smock ceremony or a disposible clinic jacket ceremony. Personally, I like the old school smock. You know the one that is short sleeved and has the high collar. The buttons that go up on the far left side, a la Steve Martin on Little Shop of Horrors. Why does there need to be yet another profession that wears the long white coat. Think about it, MDs, PT, respiratory therapy, CRNAs, nurses, PAs, butchers, the list goes on and on.

Finally I think it just goes on to perpetuate the wanna be MD stereotype we are constantly bombarded with.

Members don't see this ad.

omfsres said:
I just read one of the posts about a white coat ceremony and it got me thinking. What is the reasoning for this. How many practicing dentists do you guys know that wear white coats around their offices? If they do they're a douche bag. They might as well pop the collar, spike the hair and introduce themselves as Dr. Hotti. In the medical world this makes more sense. Most Docs wear their coat around the hospital, it has their name and specialty embroidered on it. It is appropriate for hospital use, and bottom line, most patients expect you to have one. You can even carry little books, a tuning fork, hammer, stethoscope with ease. What is a dentist going to do, carry some impression material and a perio probe?

I understand the symbolism and everything, but I don't feel a white coat is the correct choice for this. Maybe we should have a white smock ceremony or a disposible clinic jacket ceremony. Personally, I like the old school smock. You know the one that is short sleeved and has the high collar. The buttons that go up on the far left side, a la Steve Martin on Little Shop of Horrors. Why does there need to be yet another profession that wears the long white coat. Think about it, MDs, PT, respiratory therapy, CRNAs, nurses, PAs, butchers, the list goes on and on.

Finally I think it just goes on to perpetuate the wanna be MD stereotype we are constantly bombarded with.
Why it gotta be a WHITE coat? :laugh:

Ankylosed said:
Why it gotta be a WHITE coat? :laugh:

LOL!!! Yeah, why it gotta be racial???

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The dentist I work with wears a white coat about half the time, especially on days when he goes to the OR and works at the cleft pallet clinic for charity. Just PM me your address and I will let him and the hundreds of kids he has helped know that you think hes a douche.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it is often more symbolic than practical. I do concur that many dentists do not regularly wear their white coats -- but on the flipside, for those who do... it does symbolize the position that we have worked hard to attain. We are professionals who provide a great service to a large proportion of the population and should be proud of this.

Plus, while the dental students at our school do not regularly wear their coats, many of the faculty in predoc plus a majority of the specialty docs do wear theirs...(although I did not check their pockets to see what they had in them. ;) )

at our school the students don't really have the traditional long white coats, they are more of a long sleeved, short smock style coat. All the dentists I have ever seen in practice wear regular white coats, this is the first time I have ever heard anyone suggest that they shouldn't :confused:

Orin3.jpg
Biogirl361 said:
at our school the students don't really have the traditional long white coats, they are more of a long sleeved, short smock style coat. All the dentists I have ever seen in practice wear regular white coats, this is the first time I have ever heard anyone suggest that they shouldn't :confused:

BigRedDentist said:
The dentist I work with wears a white coat about half the time, especially on days when he goes to the OR and works at the cleft pallet clinic for charity.

Please...Please... tell me you're not in dental school. Pallet? Are you serious :eek: :confused:

Personally I think the white coat ceremony is utterly gay....we are having ours at Temple next week and I think people are making a big deal about it and I just think its ******ed.

I also hate when douchebags in my class wear their white coats to lecture when we have nothing clinical to do that day. Its quite sad and they should possibly consult a professional therapist to take care of their insecurities.

nobody from our dental school wears their coats to class or outside of the building, but I see the med students wearing them all over campus and its disgusting, not only because of the ego thing but also think of all the germs they could be spreading around campus on that coat that they wore during patient care.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wear one when treating patients. It keeps lots of gross things from flying onto my clothes. Although if I had access to those disposable gowns, I would probably just wear that instead. It also tells the patient the dentist has walked into the room and is talking with them. If I don't wear it, I blend in with the staff and no one believes I am the dentist. ("You're the doctor? You look so young!")

so as a freshman we had to wear coats when we were in clinic. I have to say that it did little to my ego and thought it was just a stupid idea for a glorified observer (stupid rotations!). Give me some scrubs and let me continue wearing that :) but anyways clinic rules i guess.

griffin04 said:
I wear one when treating patients. It keeps lots of gross things from flying onto my clothes. Although if I had access to those disposable gowns, I would probably just wear that instead. It also tells the patient the dentist has walked into the room and is talking with them. If I don't wear it, I blend in with the staff and no one believes I am the dentist. ("You're the doctor? You look so young!")

I'm not a dentist or in the profession but from my moments sitting in the chair this makes sense to me. I know my dentist now and who the other one is in their practice, but when I first started going I had no clue who was who.

Biogirl361 said:
nobody from our dental school wears their coats to class or outside of the building, but I see the med students wearing them all over campus and its disgusting, not only because of the ego thing but also think of all the germs they could be spreading around campus on that coat that they wore during patient care.

I used to go to a gym where there was a MD that would wear his scrubs while he worked out. He would show up in them at lunchtime, workout for about 30 min, then leave. Now that is awful.

Reactions: 3 users
this thread is funny :laugh:

omfsres said:

It absolutely disgusts me to know that someone out there that may or may not be in dental school has so little pride in his endeavors. The white coat ceremony offered by so many schools is a recognition of the fact that we are entering a professional career centered on oral health and prevention of disease states. Why wouldn't you enjoy that recognition, instead of using big-boy terms like 'douchebag' and implying that oral health professionals, as I assume you may aspire to be, are something lesser than a medical doctor. Its also warming to know someone is ignorant enough to put all the people that wear a whitecoat as part of a uniform on the same level. Maybe have your butcher perform your next extraction. Given your obvious knowledge, or lack thereof, of the profession, it will surely be an enjoyable experience.

i think that OMFSRES may be caving under the pressure of the continual MD vs DMD/DDS pi$$ing match. i know that some people pursue careers in OMSF because they truely enjoy it, but i am afraid that some fall into believing that DMD/DDS are somehow inferior to MDs..........and want the additional "respect".

the white coat ceremony is just a tradition....nothing more, nothing less.

I think his point is that it's *not* nearly as much a tradition in dentistry as in medicine. It's something we piggybacked off of them fairly recently.

Biogirl361 said:

Traditions aside, the coat is actually just an OSHA regulation. Having blood and saliva landing all over you while you're working on a patient is definitely gross. In practice some docs just aren't into wearing paper jackets and laundering real coats is cheaper. And it is an actual OSHA violation to wear them outside! ;)

omfsres said:

I don't know who you are or where you are from, but you are too hilarious!!!!!!!!!!! I agree that most dentists don't wear the white coat, but mine did. My dentist always wore slacks, a dress shirt, tie, and his coat over top. I think it just depends on how laid back back you want to be. BTW I wish my dentist was Dr. Hottie!!!!LOL

Personally, I am looking forward to the white coat ceremony. Even if I decide not wear in practice, I like the symbolism that it represent. I disagree with others' opinions that is somehow helps dentist with inferiority complexes feel better. I personally don't care what the MD does, I've chosen dentistry. If I wear the white coat I'll wear it because it represents dentistry, not medicine. For me the ceremony is a way of celebrating the many sacrifices we've made to make it into dental school and the priveledge we have been given to serve the public as oral health professionals, doctors of dentistry.

Mr.E said:
Personally, I am looking forward to the white coat ceremony. Even if I decide not wear in practice, I like the symbolism that it represent. I disagree with others' opinions that is somehow helps dentist with inferiority complexes feel better. I personally don't care what the MD does, I've chosen dentistry. If I wear the white coat I'll wear it because it represents dentistry, not medicine. For me the ceremony is a way of celebrating the many sacrifices we've made to make it into dental school and the priveledge we have been given to serve the public as oral health professionals, doctors of dentistry.
If I could suggest one correction: 'the privelege we have earned to serve...'

captaintripps said:
If I could suggest one correction: 'the privelege we have earned to serve...'
"Privilege we have been given" is perfect.

Earning something isn't the same as actually getting it. That's one of the first lessons of dental school. ;)

aphistis said:

Earning something isn't the same as actually getting it. That's one of the first lessons of dental school. ;)

The student doctor must earn respect, the degree, and consequentially the privelege to treat patients.

aphistis said:

So true.

omfsres said:
How many practicing dentists do you guys know that wear white coats around their offices? If they do they're a douche bag.

choose_dentist.jpg

dentist.jpg

Personally, it doesnt matter who wears what.....they graduated from Dental School, they can wear a Coat, Smock, or Clown Suit.....doesnt matter......

nobody wears a white coat at our school. ofcourse with the exception of few faculty and our ortho lab technician ( :laugh: ).

captaintripps said:
The student doctor must earn respect, the degree, and consequentially the privelege to treat patients.

This is also something a doctor needs to never take for granted as well.

Is that white coat really such a big deal? I thought it was something you wear to keep crap off of you and/or hide the fact that you're violating the school dress code :D

NoBraces said:
Is that white coat really such a big deal? I thought it was something you wear to keep crap off of you and/or hide the fact that you're violating the school dress code :D

you could also wear it to hide your beer belly.

PERFECT3435 said:
you could also wear it to hide your beer belly.

Where's the glory in that? :laugh: OK people, confession time, why do you wear your white coat?

I don't wear a white coat. And when I get into OMS residency I don't plan to either. I'll be wearing a pimp coat. It will be calf length purple satin with gold trim. All the nurses will be on my jock.

drhobie7 said:
I don't wear a white coat. And when I get into OMS residency I don't plan to either. I'll be wearing a pimp coat. It will be calf length purple satin with gold trim. All the nurses will be on my jock.
Thats right Player

drhobie7 said:

omfsres said:

I have seen several dentists wear white coats. They are doctors?

I think your a douschebag for such an ignorant post.

aphistis said:

Thats a stupid lesson.

I would appreciate something if given just as much as if I worked hard for it.

But of course, those little bitches who have had been handed stuff their whole lives is what that little dumb lesson is for.

Us who have worked hard for everything would be very appreciative of something for nothing.

Its all in the way you look at it.

If this is a great lesson for you then you must have been the one who it was always handed to.

dentalstudent1 said:
I have seen several dentists wear white coats. They are doctors?

I think your a douschebag for such an ignorant post.

Careful little one, some people have gotten banned for those types of statements...

dentalstudent1 said:
Thats a stupid lesson.

I would appreciate something if given just as much as if I worked hard for it.

But of course, those little bitches who have had been handed stuff their whole lives is what that little dumb lesson is for.

Us who have worked hard for everything would be very appreciative of something for nothing.

Its all in the way you look at it.

If this is a great lesson for you then you must have been the one who it was always handed to.
Well then you're the exception. Ever wonder why insurance companies require copayments?

And why are you so pissy?

Mr.E said:
If I wear the white coat I'll wear it because it represents dentistry, not medicine. For me the ceremony is a way of celebrating the many sacrifices we've made to make it into dental school and the priveledge we have been given to serve the public as oral health professionals, doctors of dentistry.

tu as besoin de plus de significacion dans tes repressions !!!

TinGrin said:
It absolutely disgusts me to know that someone out there that may or may not be in dental school has so little pride in his endeavors. The white coat ceremony offered by so many schools is a recognition of the fact that we are entering a professional career centered on oral health and prevention of disease states. Why wouldn't you enjoy that recognition, instead of using big-boy terms like 'douchebag' and implying that oral health professionals, as I assume you may aspire to be, are something lesser than a medical doctor. Its also warming to know someone is ignorant enough to put all the people that wear a whitecoat as part of a uniform on the same level. Maybe have your butcher perform your next extraction. Given your obvious knowledge, or lack thereof, of the profession, it will surely be an enjoyable experience.

1-desire to wear a white coat has nothing to do with pride in one's endeavors; the acceptence letter does the job
2-"The white coat ceremony offered by so many schools is a recognition of the fact that we are entering a professional career centered on oral health and prevention of disease states"....has this been mentioned by the d-schools as the reason why they conduct that ceremony?
3-no where in the OP' post was i able to see an implication of a "lesser than a medical doctor" status....on the contrary, the OP seemed to be approaching the white coat issue from a utilitarian viewpoint (butcher needs to wear the coat to avoid blood and doc needs the pockets, and hence the coat)...this approach has nothing to do with associating the coat with status or associating docs with butchers.

read the OP again

omfsres said:

i agree

ca_dreamin' said:
We are professionals who provide a great service to a large proportion of the population and should be proud of this.

District attorneys are going to start wearing white coats.