PhD/PsyD Why would a PsyD program extend their deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echo3alpha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I received an email from Wheaton today. Regarding an application deadline extension. Their original application deadline was December 15 (yesterday). I have already submitted everything they require, so I'm not worried about meeting the deadline.

My question is why would a PsyD program (or any doctoral program) extend their deadline? I suspect it is because they did not receive enough [quality] applicants, but I could be wrong.

Here is the email:

Counseling+Class.png

Hi Jason,

We've extended the Psy.D. application deadline to Thursday, January 5, 2017! You now have twenty more days to submit your entire Psy.D. application, which includes all of your supplemental items.

Thank you again for considering our outstanding program. According to Best Counseling Degrees , Wheaton's Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology ranks #19 in the 50 best Psy.D. programs in the nation and #2 among schools in the CCCU (Council for Christian Colleges and Universities). Also, we've been blessed with 100% placement for pre-doctoral internships four years in a row! One other thing distinguishes Wheaton, perhaps most of all - its mission: To Serve the Underserved.

I'll be in the office next Mon., Tues., and Wed. before leaving for Christmas break, so please let me know if you have any questions!

Keep running with perseverance,

Kim Matsumoto

Admissions Counselor

Wheaton College Graduate School

[email protected], 630-752-5142

spacer.gif

Psy.D. Application Deadline Extended to January 5, 2017!

Application Requirements

Financial Aid

Wheaton College
Graduate Admissions
501 College Avenue | Wheaton, IL 60187 | 800.888.0141 ©2013 Wheaton College. All rights reserved.

You're receiving this because you signed up at www.wheaton.edu.
Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe or Update Your Profile.
open.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

I received the same type of notification from Pepperdine (never ended up applying there). I think you might be right that it's to get more people to apply.

Attachments

• Deadline Extension for Psy.D. Admissions.png
    Deadline Extension for Psy.D. Admissions.png
    327.8 KB · Views: 75
My advisor is the current DCT of my program, so I've often been privy to her insights on a number of issues. I know the one year we extended our deadline, it was a mix of wanting more competitive applicants and a significant number of applicants submitting incomplete portfolios at the time of the deadline (that year was a real struggle on interview day, one of the applicants actually had a complaint made against him for sexually harassing one of the current PhD students). So maybe it's something to this tune, and they're just mass e-mailing the notification. Never hurts to double, triple, quadruple, etc. check and make sure everything is okay though,