Why would an interviewer say this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Weebs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both of my interviewers today said that to me at the end of the interview: I really hope to see you here next year. Is that just something they say to be nice? Or did I just have the best interview possible? Anyone with any experience on this?

Weebs

Members don't see this ad.

People say it, it means you probably didn't bomb your interview, but it doesn't mean you'll get in for sure either.

I've heard that many times. Don't put too much bearing on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because they liked you, obviously. But they are only one advocate for you -- they've got to convince the rest of the admissions committee to grant you an acceptance. So, like the others have said, it does not guarantee that you're in. Good luck! :luck:

i had one damn guy tell me that and i was sure ide get in...but no. dont listen to them! weve heard the opposite of course...horrible interview, but get in.

I think its a good sign, but I wouldnt think I've closed the deal at all. Hopefully it means they will give you a very good recommendation to the adcom, but who knows how the adcoms work after its all said and done...Good luck by the way, hope it works out for you! :thumbup:

Dr. Weebs said:
Both of my interviewers today said that to me at the end of the interview: I really hope to see you here next year. Is that just something they say to be nice? Or did I just have the best interview possible? Anyone with any experience on this?

Weebs

They say it to be nice. I heard it from a school I was rejected from.

Even if they did say to be nice, they don't get the final say on whether you get in or not.