Why Yale University School of Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KNightInBlue

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone, anyone (current students, applicants, alumni...) please tell me why Yale med is so great? What are its best aspects? Curriculum, students, faculty, residency match lists, financial aid, cafeteria food?

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

lol, i second fermata, thats so true....no offense...

Members don't see this ad :)
KNightInBlue said:
Can someone, anyone (current students, applicants, alumni...) please tell me why Yale med is so great? What are its best aspects? Curriculum, students, faculty, residency match lists, financial aid, cafeteria food?

Thank You

I'm starting at Yale this year, so these are just my impressions from the interview and second look weekend. Current students can definitely tell you more.

The main draw is The Yale System, which is pretty special. The major assumption is, "You're all adults now, so we shouldn't have to force you to study." Everything is pass/fail in the first two years, exams are anonymous, and most are optional. Yes, this would allow you to slack off quite a bit, but current Yale students have assured me that a lot of people do study very hard. Yale was the only school I saw where people consistently said that they were focused on learning for their careers, versus passing the next exam or trying to get by learning as little as possible. Yale encourages students to keep up their interests outside of medicine, and I think this is why their students seem so happy and well adjusted. Also, while they don't hold students' hands through the coursework, they seem to offer a lot of support for their students, almost bending over backwards in some instances. Yale requires a thesis, which can be a plus for some and a drawback for others, but you should know about it.

The current students that I've met are great - laid back, helpful, often hilarious, apparently comfortable with one another. I haven't met that many faculty, but the professors I've met have been nice and a little quirky, but I like that. Their match list is unbelievable. I'm sure it's on here somewhere, just search for it. Financial aid is not as good as some other schools because they don't give merit based scholarships, but I'm happy with what they gave me. This part depends on your own financial situation, so it shouldn't influence your decision until you actually have an offer in hand. The cafeteria food is surprisingly good.

Reactions: 1 user
KNightInBlue said:

Thank You

new haven is a great city

KNightInBlue said:

Thank You

Wasn't there a "why Yale?" question on the Yale secondary last year? To the OP, you should check out what you wrote back then and see if what you now know affects your priorities.

Bear1220 said:
Wasn't there a "why Yale?" question on the Yale secondary last year? To the OP, you should check out what you wrote back then and see if what you now know affects your priorities.

YUP!!! The secondary had a question abou the "yale sytem" and "why Yale"...the OP just needs some info. to complete the secondary ;)

-Harps

This year the secondary asks for a 500 word discussion of your interest in Yale. The rest of the secondary is just a re-hash of the AMCAS, at least from what I've seen so far. But maybe the OP just wants an inside perspective?

Are there any other medical schools that share the same system of optional tests and independent learning like Yale?

When I heard about that kind of system, it's as if I had an intellecutal erection. That kind of system is awesome!

DMO said:
Are there any other medical schools that share the same system of optional tests and independent learning like Yale?

When I heard about that kind of system, it's as if I had an intellecutal erection. That kind of system is awesome!

I don't know about optional tests, but I hear Stanford shares a smilar philosophy as Yale.

Harps said:
YUP!!! The secondary had a question abou the "yale sytem" and "why Yale"...the OP just needs some info. to complete the secondary ;)

-Harps
Actually, I haven't even started the secondary. I was just debating as to whether its worth applying to since its in New Haven (My main priority is to stay in NYC, as close to my family as possible)
So I was wondering if any students could give me an 'inside' perspective.

Thankas for the info principessa, it definitely helped.
Any one else?

Dr. Chiquita said:
I don't know about optional tests, but I hear Stanford shares a smilar philosophy as Yale.

Stanford's tests are not optional.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm almost done with that darn essay. It's going to be the wee hours of the night before I put the finishing touches on it, though.

what;s the general stats of applicants accepted into yale medical and is it considered one of the top ten med school?

34-35ish mcat, 3.7-8ish gpa, and yes.

Yale because it's a medical school and I just want to get in somewhere. Honestly Finch is a better school than Yale.:smuggrin:

i think the best thing about yale is that they seem to love their students. the students recieve so much support and they actually have a say in what goes on in their school. but you dont want to focus just on that. there are also great opportunities for research. i guess the thing that's different about the yale system is that its supposed to bring out the best in you without forcing you to do much. so basically it's designed for people who have internal motivation and have a vision for what they want to get out of medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
oh and i dont believe the tests are optional. i think there are within term tests that you can use to test yourself, but everyone has to take some kind of exam to pass the class. they are said to be anonymous.

oh and i cant forget. the food at marigolds, their cafeteria, is AWESOME!!!!!

i believe their curriculum is traditional, which will help you on the step 1 exam. but they also have some small groups and they dont make you sit in lecture all day.

Dr. Chiquita said:

This is a misconception. Very very different schools....exception is the way both allow flexibility for research into curriculum....

-Harps

alright last one, free fifth year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but dont stress that too much.

im somewhat concerned that im not the ideal medical school candidate, since i openly state my affection for working in health policy almost to the exclusion of a medical practice. policy and administration is what im really passionate about, but i feel that being a practicing physician is the best way for me to understand the challenges involved.

i hope someone will understand my goals.

IndyZX said:
im somewhat concerned that im not the ideal medical school candidate, since i openly state my affection for working in health policy almost to the exclusion of a medical practice. policy and administration is what im really passionate about, but i feel that being a practicing physician is the best way for me to understand the challenges involved.

So says the future dermatologist that will graduate from Yale. :D

hah, is it that obvious? ;)

j/k

Not sure yet... I'll think about that stuff after I get into medical and possibly talk to advisors and such. I guess the JD and MBA degrees are possibilities, also the MPH. I want to wait on deciding anything like that though, because I really don't know if those degrees are really necessary to what I want to do.

---

back to the orginal post, i just ****ed up the Yale secondary... in a good way.

IndyZX said:

i'm the exact same way. i hope it doesn't hurt us.