why you CAN get into school!! hope this helps some apprehensive folks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adam7290

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I feel like this site is VERY helpful, but can also be VERY stressful. It can kind of take things out of perspective and make you feel like you need a 3.9, 25DAT, and a million hours of shadowing in order to get into school. Anyways, I'm here to tell you that not everyone that gets into dental school found the cure for cancer in undergrad. Here's my stats/story/helpful hints.

Stats:

• 3.71 undergrad GPA Biology major (however, I received C's in both gen chem's, B- in orgo1, B in orgo 2, and B's in both gen bio's...where I cleaned up was in my elective courses and upper level sciences)
    BCP GPA: 3.53
    Science GPA: 3.58
    Non-Science: 3.93
    DAT: 19AA, 17 Bio, 18 Gen Chem, 23 O Chem (dunno how), 19 Reading Comp, 17 Quantitive
    PAT: 17 (ouch, I know)

Story:
I feel like what I had going for me was being in a top NCAA division one swimming program on scholarship all four years. Aside from that, nothing was really standout, so they must have liked it. I also volunteered once/twice a month at a non-profit dental clinic as an assistant my last two years of school (about 120 hours total). During one spring break, I shadowed every day since I needed the hours. I also decided to take a year in between undergrad and dental school. So far, it's been a pretty sound decision, because my brain was fried (for many reasons haha).

Basically, I feel like it is VERY important to be VERY involved in just a couple of things. Don't go around spreading yourself thin over a million different clubs, academic obligations, etc.

Helpful Hints: Take a prep course! I promise you it is what helped me the most. The only area Kaplan did not help me was the PAT and Biology (obviously), but I felt like everything else was very helpful. I even think I might've been too confident on those two sections going in, causing me to not look closely at my answers.

In your essay, milk whatever you do that is DIFFERENT. I made mine a little story about me passing out at my first oral surgery observation and getting a concussion. I'm probably one of the few people that had the cahones to admit passing out during a surgery. BE YOU. BE DIFFERENT.

I applied to 8 schools, received interviews from 4: Tennessee, Louisville, LECOM, and ASDOH. I declined an interview at ASDOH, because I realized $100,000/year was not gonna be fun.

I was accepted to Tenn, Lou, and LECOM (going to UT for instate tuition, dawg). SO YOU CAN DO IT, TOO. Don't listen to the horror stories of people not getting in. Listen to the success stories of your pretty-much-average joe getting in! Hope this helps. I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has!

Members don't see this ad.

Great story bro. I agree...brush off the negativity and focus on the success stories.Thanks for sharing!

Congrats! Curious, what was the actual hurdle for you here? The bolded grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I had basically a 2.8/2.9 or so on the actual core courses that mattered for dental school (gen chem, o chem, basic bio), and I had a 17 PAT, 17 Bio, 17 Quantitative...the only reason my AA was a 19 was because of that 23 on Organic that honestly came out of nowhere. If tomorrow, they told me there was a gllitch in the system on that section, it wouldn't surprise me haha). I just feel like everyone on here is the SUPER over achiever, and it stressed me out the whole time I was applying. I was always second-guessing not retaking some courses or the DAT.

Going to UT too! Can't wait! Congrats.

still trying to wrap my head around it. GPA (above average) and DAT (average for accepted students) while handling D1 swimming schedule makes you an average joe? imean congrats, but it seems like you had a stronger application than most people here :confused:

and i know how much time that swimming would take. prior to college i competed at nationals before having surgery.. D1 for 4 years while doing bio is pretty impressive

I understand my scores/grades are average for getting in, but I had quite a few hiccups in my application. I'm just trying to tell people that not everyone has a 20+ score on every section of their DAT and a 3.9 like most people on this site say. I feel like 90% of the people that post on this site are nervous/anxious about having an average score because a lot of the posters are pretty much perfect, and I'm just trying to tell them that there's nothing to be nervous/anxious about. :)

That's very inspiring. I really had a hard time when I was studying because I often lose focus. :(

Then I realize that only me can help myself, so I decided to set things right and make sure I will pass my grades.

i got a 15 on the PAT and was accepted to Temple, NYU, LECOM and Meharry (prob wouldve gotten into UNLV also but i nvr went to the interview)

bad scores on your application are not the end of the world