Why You Should Never Ever Take a Shelf Exam If You Are Not Ready?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliBabaMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
This is the golden rule to survival in med school.

My gift from me to you from all my years in med school, and now as a hospital CEO.

Do not take a shelf exam if you are not confident you will pass. Remember, this is different than getting Honors. Be realistic with yourself.

To skip a shelf exam and take it when you are actually ready, focus on the following areas:

1. Get help early on if you are struggling: free tutoring from your school, free counseling, etc.
2. If you are not ready but go time, ask to be excused by approaching your resources and support network at least 1 week in advance that you will not be ready.
3. If all else fails, appeal to your dean for a legitimate excuse.

Why do I say this?
Failing a shelf is not trivial. For those of you not great at standardized tests, it can start a gravy train of failing scores that you don't want. Everyone fails once in a while, but don't let a bad month or bad quarter become a bigger issue by taking an exam, ever, that you are not prepared for (reasonably).

Best wishes,
Ali Baba

Members don't see this ad.

Lol what?
What school gives you the choice to postpone?

Reactions: 1 user
this is ridiculous, I also don't see the "spiraling" issue, as most shelf exams cover very different material relative to one another

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Making up an excuse to postpone an exam when you don't feel ready?? Sounds like something you get expelled for....

There is such a thing called academic integrity..

Reactions: 1 users
At my school if you missed a shelf you had to wait until the end of M3 to take it, which sucked especially if it was an early rotation. Hence why I took a shelf exam while having pneumonia! I’m not sure you could delay in the US without being ill/family emergency/etc. (Unlike Step for which I WOULD give the advice to delay)

At my school if you missed a shelf you had to wait until the end of M3 to take it, which sucked especially if it was an early rotation. Hence why I took a shelf exam while having pneumonia! I’m not sure you could delay in the US without being ill/family emergency/etc. (Unlike Step for which I WOULD give the advice to delay)

Works this way at my school. The first three shelf exams you take in the summer-fall of M3 you would make up over christmas break, though. Still sucks