Why:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randompremed457

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
qq

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I have two interviews coming up and I'm trying to work out what to say for my why medicine answer.

The reason is basically that there was a physician that supported my family through a difficult illness for a long period of time. The physician inspired me to do the same, supporting/empowering their patients (and their families).

After that I had some other interactions with different physicians treating family members and myself which reinforced my desire to go into this field. Additionally, my ECs also gave me a deeper insight into the life of a physician and the types of things I'd like to achieve as one,

My issue is I feel that I'm just rehashing my entire application and PS if I start mentioning the other stuff. Is it fine to just talk about that initial spark that led to my interest in medicine?
Has it occurred to you that your interviewer might not have read your PS? Or even seen your app?

OR, maybe they want to hear from your own lips what your motivations are?

Just answer the question, and from the heart. Overthinking will lead to a rejection

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
That sounds like a pretty reasonable answer. It SHOULD be similar to your personal statement, because your personal statement is meant to answer the same exact question.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not memorize your personal statement. You can go with the same theme but use a newer or different example from your life. You can be a little less formal in structure and language in a verbal response compared with the written essay.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
You should have at least four different answers depending on the situation (including what you wrote in your PS), and they should be honest about you.

If I'm asking you why you are interested in medicine, I don't always want a full backstory about physicians who have influenced you. I want to know about YOU.

You may be well-read about the ideals of medicine and the goal to serve everyone who is in need. But I want to know YOUR reasons, not the AAMC/AACOM/other org talking points.

Every physician has asked this question of every candidate they have interviewed with their own answer as a current professional as a template. We want to see you as a future colleague, and your answer should assure us that you can be.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users