Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpriolo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand this. I was reading Jenny83's thread about fainting at the sight of blood/whatever other bodily fluids you see and I was curious to know if anyone knew <i>why</i> exactly people faint? Is there some kind of physiological response that triggers it? I know hypoglycemia/hypotension, but why when you see blood/"guts?" Or is it all psychological, like relating to the patient's own pain from your own experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

jpriolo said:
I don't really understand this. I was reading Jenny83's thread about fainting at the sight of blood/whatever other bodily fluids you see and I was curious to know if anyone knew <i>why</i> exactly people faint? Is there some kind of physiological response that triggers it? I know hypoglycemia/hypotension, but why when you see blood/"guts?" Or is it all psychological, like relating to the patient's own pain from your own experiences?

intense vagal stimulation? not sure why. ask in allo.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who don't just faint right away I wonder if has something to do with the whole day. You go in at 6am or so and maybe don't eat in the morning. Then you stand still under hot lights for several hours with no water. Couldn't it just be fatigue or something like that?

I was told to eat a big breakfast before going in as an empty stomach seemed to be a common thing with those who got queasy or faint. Anecdotal evidence, of course.