Why ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cassiegal21

pharmacy frazzled
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to Pharmacy school is a big decision, Right? With that being said, for those of you who have chosen a school, why? I know it is very competitive and that many of us will be happy if we get in to any school at all. But if you had a choice to go to any school in the country what would it be and why? Once again just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

usc since it's local. or also ucsf or ucsd since in-state tution would be awesome.

My list in order of importance:

Location (for family reasons)
Quality of job placement after graduation
Quality of professors
Quality of NAPLEX preparation
Quality of job placement after graduation
Quality of facilities
Quality of curriculum

Members don't see this ad :)
UNC-Chapel Hill.

Great school, location, program, opportunities, and ability to find work after graduation.

Research Triangle Park in the Raleigh-Durham area also allows for opportunity with a few drug companies nearby. There are quite a few biotech companies down here, too.

The beach is close, and the southern women are pretty.

USN because -

it's local for me (less than 13 miles away),

it's a 3 year school,

it has a block format curriculum (one intense course at a time),

related to that you are only tested every other week - at other schools you might have to take as many as 6 tests a week from vastly different classes,

it's pass / fail (no grades, I feel this is a much more collaborative atmosphere to help everyone learn the material),

they have a very high first time Naplex pass rate,

and least of all and most importantly they are the only school that gave me a seat out of the 8 that I applied at.

UF for me because...

it's local (only 10-15 minutes away from me)
it's a state college
low tuition
nationally known
one of the top Pharm. Schools
and so far...i LOVE the staff there...(and that's saying alot since i'm a Florida State Alumni...lol)
i really feel like i'll be well prepared for any challenges that may come my way in my career because i will have graduated from UF's pharm. school

I have recently arrived to conclusion that it's impossible to pick the right school for YOU, until you have already graduated and know what you liked or didn't like.

For me, it is and always have been about the people. I wanted to go someplace where I felt at home and liked vast majority of people - students, faculty, staff. I wanted to go to a school that wasn't so big that I would become another anonymous face in the mass, but at the same time a school that would give me top-notch opportunities - and I got to dabble in everything from student-run clinic for indigent to state-of-the-art research. Money was also a big factor, which is why I went to my in-state school, after all. I ended up really, really liking it there - the staff at the office became like a family to me, and I made great friends, and I had a blast. :)

University of MN. I actually got in there, but chose not to go because of the cost. They decided to discontinue reciprocity with North Dakota. But I think they have an amazing program there and really wish I could've had reciprocity.

University of MN. I actually got in there, but chose not to go because of the cost. They decided to discontinue reciprocity with North Dakota. But I think they have an amazing program there and really wish I could've had reciprocity.

Do you mind if I ask what you stats were?
Thats one of the school I plan on applying to because I family in Minneapolis.
So you are pharmacy school in North Dakota? I thought about applying there too because it is close to Minnesota. Right Now my number factor is will I have support If I need it where ever I go. Thats why I am looking into school in places where I have family.

Top 3 choices: USC, Western, UCSF

I don't wanna leave California!
But if I have to leave, I will...but I'll come right back when I'm done.

Hilo, c'mon its Hawaii.

University of Michigan Ann Arbor

...because I've always wanted to go to a large flagship public school. For the undergraduate level there aren't that many resources for students, but for graduate students it's a cushy place to be. People care about you, you care about the people (hopefully), and I can basically pursue any field I want because I know every subprogram within the Pharmacy School is excellent.

I also liked each of the following universities and could have seen me at each of them but each had something a little off for me: University of Wisconsin Madison (was a tad deserted and in the middle of nowhere), UCSF (rather ugly/dreary and cloudy, I'll suffer from seasonal affect disorder), and UNC (I was afraid to pick up a southern twang :().

SF is foggy, I love the fog :D It tends to be foggier in the summer.

and Hilo, HI...i'm applying there too! we'll see how that goes

U of Minnesota

Located in the big city (Twin Cities campus) with a lot to do, well-recognized program, loved my interview there, a lot of opportunities for residency afterwards, nice students and faculty, very organized administration